• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Can't talk to the "hunting" aspects, but from a target perspective, the .308 is accurate and effective WAY past 300yds. I have had mine past 1000yds.

AR10's are nice, but they are heavy pigs. Go with the bolt and be happy.
    Id go with a Remington 700 or a savage 20" barrel and call it a day. More than likely both will be 3/4 MOA rifles with factory match ammo. I have an AR10 and it's heavy as chit, my 20" bolt gun gets much more use
    I agree with the previous posters, if you are carrying it a long way go with a bolt gun but don't limit yourself to the 700....
    100%.

Given precision builds, both rifles will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards and I have seen many AR-10s shoot right along with bolt guns out beyond 1,000 yards.

Either rifle has potential for sufficient precision, but they will handle in a vastly different manner.
    get both.. lol

lr308 and rem700.. :o
    A la ArfCom. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    One is faster to shoot, and one is more accurate to shoot.
    The AR-10 will deliver a second round faster, but probably not the first round for most folks. Precision will be similar, given similar quality levels.
    This is a valid question, since your intended use is fairly flexible. You want something versatile that can perform multiple duties. I would suggest the AR10. It is fairly accurate and with 20 rd magazines, add the benefits of a 16" barrel and adjustable stock and a drop in trigger group, I would give the nod in the AR direction.

For hunting around here, anytime I can take a rifle, I would rather take my ar10 rather than my Weatherby 30-06....
    It does come down to personal preference, but I will say that having carried both in the woods in some relatively rough country, you couldn't pay me to hunt full time with an AR-10. It's not bad at first, but on extended days of walking around, it is miserable to carry compared to a well balanced bolt gun. Sharp corners everywhere and the balance point is usually near the front corner of the magazine - hard to carry for long with one hand. After a few miles, I wanted to throw it down and kick it. The difference between carrying the AR-10 and an M700 Mountain Rifle in cover is astounding.
    I always wanted to do a river rafting moose trip. I would love to take an AR 10 loaded with 20rds of Winchester failsafes for bear medicine.
    :D Or an M1A.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    100%.

Given precision builds, both rifles will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards and I have seen many AR-10s shoot right along with bolt guns out beyond 1,000 yards.

Either rifle has potential for sufficient precision, but they will handle in a vastly different manner.A la ArfCom. :thumbsup::thumbsup: The AR-10 will deliver a second round faster, but probably not the first round for most folks. Precision will be similar, given similar quality levels.It does come down to personal preference, but I will say that having carried both in the woods in some relatively rough country, you couldn't pay me to hunt full time with an AR-10. It's not bad at first, but on extended days of walking around, it is miserable to carry compared to a well balanced bolt gun. Sharp corners everywhere and the balance point is usually near the front corner of the magazine - hard to carry for long with one hand. After a few miles, I wanted to throw it down and kick it. The difference between carrying the AR-10 and an M700 Mountain Rifle in cover is astounding.:D Or an M1A.

To bad I can't buy a M1A in Maryland.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    If you go down the AR-10/LR-308 route, remember, it is all in the barrel. If you want it accurate, you need to spend money on the barrel. In the end the AR route will cost you at least double what the 700 will.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Since you stated that the primary use would be target shooting I would go with the 700 and put decent glass on it. The 700 will also give you a platform to build a precision rifle on later should you want to go that way.
    A good target rifle is usually not a good hunting rifle, generally target is large and heavy, hunting trim and light so best if you can afford it is to have rifles specific to needs.
    In my case I have a 308 Savage 10 FCP McMillan for target shooting and a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 308 for hunting,would not want to carry the Savage thru the woods all day.

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpg
      IMG_1422.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 217
    • IMG_2147.jpg
      IMG_2147.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 217

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    My vote is for the Remington 700. I have many 700's, all are 100% reliable and shoot very well. I had an AR10 and got rid of it, that thing was a pig.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Since you stated that the primary use would be target shooting I would go with the 700 and put decent glass on it. The 700 will also give you a platform to build a precision rifle on later should you want to go that way.
    A good target rifle is usually not a good hunting rifle, generally target is large and heavy, hunting trim and light so best if you can afford it is to have rifles specific to needs.
    In my case I have a 308 Savage 10 FCP McMillan for target shooting and a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 308 for hunting,would not want to carry the Savage thru the woods all day.

Wow. Look at the wood and the bluing on that Model 70. That right there is why those Pre 64 guns fetch a premium. If made today that would be at least a $3k rifle, if not more. It's exactly why I'm a big honk for Browning Auto 5 shotguns. The workmanship on the old Belgian Brownings make modern guns with their plasti-wood and spray paint finishes look like trash and the Auto 5 can often be bought for less.

But to answer the OP's question I'd go AR-10, strictly because we never know when the next Shady Hook might happen, and guns like the AR-10 might be gone forever.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    I own a S&W 10. Love it but wouldn't want to lug it around if I'm hiking in and have to lug something out. Your fitness level should be a consideration unless you have a short walk to your stand.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Oh lah friggin lah, nice rifle. Beauty, eh!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Have you considered the SR-762?

It's pretty light, runs clean and reliably with most bullet weights, which is rare in a .308 autoloader, and very very accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom