• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Fwiw, which isn't much in this case. CMP/NRA service rifle rules allow for up to a 4.5x scope. I shoot 600 yards with my 223 and 1000 yards with my AR10 with a 4x scope. You'd be surprised how well you can do with a low power scope

sckno3

patience is a virtue
    May 7, 2013
    fwiw i also highly recommend an LPVO for this application.

recently picked up a SOUSA Mantis 1-6 LPVO from Botach on sale for $99, and spent a few more dollars for an inexpensive 30mm mount on Amazon. just to give it a try. very impressed.

glass is good, build quality is solid, reticle is BDC for 5.56 out to 600yds, etched and illuminated, with a surprisingly good 1x, and a bracketed reticle that would easily double as a "red dot" style short range defensive sight.

customer service is based in texas, and has been responsive with a couple product questions, plus they also have a strong lifetime warranty.

i'd say its worth a look...

Attachments

• opplanet-sousa-optics-mantis-1-6x24-riflescope-bdc-reticle-1-2-moa-sfp-black-medium-ma1624bdc-...jpg
      opplanet-sousa-optics-mantis-1-6x24-riflescope-bdc-reticle-1-2-moa-sfp-black-medium-ma1624bdc-...jpg
      18.1 KB · Views: 44

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    My wife has an Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 LPVO on her AR. It's a great scope for the price, decent glass and the illumination makes it very similar to a red dot at 1x.

Currently $280 at Euro Optic

I have this same scope. I’ve used it to compete in NRA matches at 200yds. I also took it out to Mayberry and was dinging a 12” steel plate at 500yds at 4x mag. The plate was barely bigger than the center dot in the reticle but I managed to get a decent string of hits. It’s an excellent scope for the money. I’ve got it mounted on my Ruger PC9 now and it’s a great fit for that rifles range of 25-200 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    can't understand why lpvo are so heavy? What's adding all the weight? most of those scope start at 16 oz and go up.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    what's you guys opinion on the sig sauer Tango MSR 1-6x24 scope?
    I bought the 1-8. I like it. Like that it also comes with the mount as well. The negative is even at 1x its not as good with quick aquisition both eyes open. Now my Trijicon at 1x I can bring up as fast as a red dot at 1x. Still like the Sig though.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    With a red dot you can hit steel at 200yds easy. But if it has to be magnified get PA 1-6 in a 1 piece QD mount. I have one for sale if interested. I'll have to check the specifics but I think it's the PA 1-6 in a AD recon mount. I upgraded to the SWFA FFP 1-6 and swap that around as needed. It's on my .50 Beo right now for deer season.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I still think the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x is one of the best scopes for the money. That said, Primary Arms is putting out some really high value, quality stuff these days, and they have some of the best reticles. For a decent mid-range scope, i'd check out their GLx series.

An SFP scope will also generally have a much more forgiving eye box versus an SFP.

I think 1-6 is a happy medium that will suit the needs of 99% of AR platform shooters.

For a beginner, an SFP LPVO with 1-4 or 1-6 magnification would likely be ideal, and will also feel better at 1x in most cases.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It seems to me that when a person starts shopping for scopes, the first two questions to consider are:

1. What do I need it to do?
    2. How much am I willing to spend?

The interesting part of this is the distance requirement - 25-200 yards.

I have a couple of LPVO optics - one is 1-4x32, the other is 1-6x32. If she's trying to make small groups at 200 yards, the LPVO isn't for her - IMO you need something with higher magnification settings. However, given that this is an AR, off-the-shelf ARs aren't exactly known for precision. If I'm going to the range to shoot 200 yards, I'm not going to do it with an AR.

For functional shooting - hitting a person sized target at 200 - an LPVO is fine, and a 1-6x32 is probably all she'd need, although frankly, I never shoot my ARs with LPVOs at anything less than the highest magnification setting. I like the idea of 1-8 or 1-10 LPVOs, but once you start moving to the higher levels of magnification, they start getting a bit more costly? Many LPVOs are sold with a mount that's specifically designed for use with an AR - it takes the guesswork out of figuring out what mount or rings you want.

Why not something that's 3 or 4-12 magnification?

I had a Cabella's brand AR Scope that was 3-12x44, and it was surprisingly good for no more than it cost. I sold it to a member here, not because I really wanted to get rid of it, but because I was buying a different optic and I was trying to mitigate my expenses, and the AR scope was a bit superfluous. It's specifically designed for the AR with an included mount, and the reticle is set up for use with an AR.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    We want 1x because the rifle is often used in a fast target acquisition scenario. Either on the range or in the house.

If it's only used on the bench, then 3x is fine. But for competition and defense, 1-1.5x is almost mandatory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom