• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Sure it's been discussed before. I'm not a knowledgeable optics guy

Friend bought a 16" Ruger AR. Free float forend beyond that nothing special.

She wants to shoot from 25 to 200 yards with an optic.

I'm steering her towards Vortex. Someone want to make a recommendation for a specific power? Thinking 1-6 or 1-10.

Has a standard adjustable stock on it. What height rings should I seek?

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    The best LVPO you can afford. I, personally, would gow 1-4 or 1-6 power(put that's just me). If you go with an illuminated FFP scope, Depending on the reticle, it will double as a red dot when you dial it down to 1x. I prefer 30mm tubes over 1". Better light transmission.

Low one piece rings like this...

geissele-super-precision.jpg

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Why the LPVO over a traditional riflescope? So I can achieve the 1x low setting?
    out to 200 would under-utilizing a higher magnification scope. LPVO fits nicely in that spot between ACOG and Higher magnification traditional looking scope. Bare bones you could go RDS and 3x or 6x magnifier.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    The best LVPO you can afford. I, personally, would gow 1-4 or 1-6 power(put that's just me). If you go with an illuminated FFP scope, Depending on the reticle, it will double as a red dot when you dial it down to 1x. I prefer 30mm tubes over 1". Better light transmission.

Low one piece rings like this...

View attachment 386997
    200 yards with a 6X? Why is 1X important to have? Will she typically be shooting offhand or from a bench? Will she be shooting the same known distances like 25/50/100/150/200 yards, or variable tween distances with different power settings like a PRS match or perhaps hunting? (SFP vs. FFP? You can likely get better glass in a SFP than a FFP for the same $$$, if FFP is not needed.) What price range?

Unlike the photo above, I mount scopes with the scope centerline as close to the barrel as possible to minimize cant effects. I shoot almost 100% of the time from a bench or some sort of front bag/rest and my AR-15 scopes go up to 30X, 32X and even 50X.

Numerous good brands, Vortex, Athlon, Arken, Leupold, Burris etc. etc.. You might want to consider shopping available deals (Arken?) rather than pre-selecting a brand.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    200 yards is irons or red dot range. If she needs more magnification than that, a simple 1-6x LPVO is your best bet. I have the Vortex Strike Eagle. I like the etched reticle, as it treats my astigmation much better than a red dot.

I stayed with Vortex because I have several red dots for my ARs and like the lifetime warranty, price and customer service.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    200 yards is irons or red dot range. If she needs more magnification than that, a simple 1-6x LPVO is your best bet. I have the Vortex Strike Eagle. I like the etched reticle, as it treats my astigmation much better than a red dot.
    She's got crappy vision or so she says

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    My wife has an Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 LPVO on her AR. It's a great scope for the price, decent glass and the illumination makes it very similar to a red dot at 1x.

Currently $280 at Euro Optic

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    200 yards with a 6X? Why is 1X important to have? Will she typically be shooting offhand or from a bench? Will she be shooting the same known distances like 25/50/100/150/200 yards, or variable tween distances with different power settings like a PRS match or perhaps hunting? (SFP vs. FFP? You can likely get better glass in a SFP than a FFP for the same $$$, if FFP is not needed.) What price range?

Unlike the photo above, I mount scopes with the scope centerline as close to the barrel as possible to minimize cant effects. I shoot almost 100% of the time from a bench or some sort of front bag/rest and my AR-15 scopes go up to 30X, 32X and even 50X.

Numerous good brands, Vortex, Athlon, Arken, Leupold, Burris etc. etc.. You might want to consider shopping available deals (Arken?) rather than pre-selecting a brand.
    Oh hell yeah. I shoot deer out that far and I never crank my 3-9× scopes above 5×.
    The 1× gives the rifle more versatility as doubling as a home defense( l doubt she'll be doing house clearing or dynamic entries) weapon. It will give more options though.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    If you're looking for minute of deer, I guess 3-5-9X is A-OK. But it sounds like she'll be shooting targets out to 200 yards. Add in the "crappy vision" (metoo) and the higher magnification might be highly appreciated. If this AR going is to serve as a house defence weapon as well (not mentioned) then 1X (or just point it) might be appropriate.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    If you're looking for minute of deer, I guess 3-5-9X is A-OK. But it sounds like she'll be shooting targets out to 200 yards. Add in the "crappy vision" (metoo) and the higher magnification might be highly appreciated. If this AR going is to serve as a house defence weapon as well (not mentioned) then 1X (or just point it) might be appropriate.
    Minute of deer? Lol! We're not talking about combat.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    what's you guys opinion on the sig sauer Tango MSR 1-6x24 scope?
    I put their Cheap stuff comparable to Primary arms stuff, I believe i-Tacs makes most of the Sig cheap optics. And made in China.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Unless you are going to use your AR in a varmint rifle role or as a bench rest target rifle, the 1-6X is great choice. Maybe even a 2-7X to save some money since getting true 1X seems costs more. I got a Vortex Viper PST GEN II 1-6x24 that I am happy with, shown below on a pre-2013 setup.

rifle-556-saa.jpg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    After re-reading the OP, I will add that if you want more of a paper puncher / informal target setup and need the extra magnification, than a 2.5-10X would be another alternative. If you had said 100 - 200 yards, then I might have even said 3-12X. But if she is shooting as close as 25 yards, then the 2.5-10X is probaly the limit; 1-6X if you will shoot more often at 25-100 yards. My two cents.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    What's her budget? Start there.

If it's just a range toy, vortex is fine. But there's plenty of better options for various applications.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What's her budget? Start there.

If it's just a range toy, vortex is fine. But there's plenty of better options for various applications.
    Range toy

I had her order the Palmetto deal listed above. We'll give it a shot

Her budget is "enough to not get junk but don't get crazy"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom