• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYKh

Fear & Loathing
    Sep 29, 2009
    Whitemarsh
    Birthday and payday are coming up and GF finally found a job, so I think it’s time to splurge.

I’ve been putting a lot of rounds down range with my AR and I think it’s time to step up to a better trigger. Squeezed a few two stage triggers, and liked them.

Any first hand advice on brands, style (drop in or existing modification), likes, dislikes.
    I mostly use it at the range, but would like to move on to some tactical classes/events, and of course there’s always the contingency plan for a zombie attack.

Thanks.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I have a pair of AR's with 3# Timney triggers in them.
    Crisp and clean...

http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunshop/

thumb_5_AR15-skel.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    i've got a timney single-stage 4# in my ar. i got it from dan at gunconnection. it looks cool..which is a bonus...but i'm loving how clean it breaks and how easy it is to drop in(even if alucard tossed it in quick for me). I made sure to get anti-rotating kns pins for it when i put it in. I asked around when i put it in if it would work with .22 conversions and i remember clandestine telling me it hits very hard and should have no problems with conversion kits. it's a complete drop-in unit and really has no adjustments that you need to make. all you have to be careful of is to tighten down the two frame screws to snug everything up after you drop it in. let me know if you feeling like trying mine out anytime. i could meet up at hap or wherever some sat and have you throw some downrange. they also make a 3#er but i figured i wanted a little heavier pull if i wanted to get into 3 gun or something.

they're about $200ish depending on where you get it from.
    1127090920.jpg

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Rock River 2 Stage, Timiney or Giesielle are all good options. I have several RRA's and I'm happy with them for range/class guns.

But for $40 Bill Springfield is supposed to be doing good work on a USGI trigger.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    You can try my Springfield triggers if you wanna come up to Hap. Might be worth a try considering the price difference. 35$ vs 200$

NYKh

Fear & Loathing
    Sep 29, 2009
    Whitemarsh
    As always you guy's come through with the goods when it comes to info.

I was looking at the installation instructions for the Timney, found on Midway's site, the instructions included this:
    "If you find the trigger seems to be doubling (firing more than one round each time you
    pull the trigger) heat the small screw in the disconnector with a soldering iron and turn
    it counterclockwise until it barely touches the hook on the hammer as it recocks. If it
    seems as though the trigger is not resetting heat the screw in the trigger and turn it
    clockwise until the issue is resolved."

Has anyone actually experienced this after the installation, obviouls it's happend or it wouldn't be included, but have you guy's heard of it?

I do like the Hafers option but by the time my jeep sucks up the dinosaurs heading there and back I'd be way past the half way point of getting the Timney.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Has anyone actually experienced this after the installation, obviouls it's happend or it wouldn't be included, but have you guy's heard of it?

Never heard of this anomaly, and never experienced it either.
    Both of my triggers have been flawless.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    dan up at gunconnection mentioned that he's heard of this happening on 3#ers installed on an ar-10 but that he hasnt had any direct knowledge of it happening on a regular 5.56 ar...but that a 4# should pretty much be heavy enough to keep them from doubling. I've fired hunreds and hundreds of rounds with my timney and haven't experienced anything but short, creep-free, clean break and tiny tiny reset. don't worry about installation too much. there's always dan at gunconnection or clandestine's shop or any number of members here you can turn to to help you out. i'm not good enough to rely on yet for installing and tuning or i'd offer help with it. someone better with working on the things may feel in the xmas spirit to help you install and tune something harder to toss in than the timney. giselles have a solid reputation. there's also the tuneable jewells to consider if you want the ability to change pull weight to go back and forth between matches which require 4.5#'s or lighter pull for target work.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nothing like a malfunction that can get you 10 years in the slammer with Bubba if you are in the lane next to the wrong person!!! I wonder if the warranty covers legal fees?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Nothing like a malfunction that can get you 10 years in the slammer with Bubba if you are in the lane next to the wrong person!!! I wonder if the warranty covers legal fees?

i feel like the doubling was more of a result of either older triggers that they've since fixed or light triggers that people accidentally bump-fired off the shoulder. alucard has a pretty light trigger on his m4gery and if you put enough shoulder pressure and just right trigger pressure, you can get it to bump from the shoulder. timney's got pretty advanced quality control nowadays. every trigger is computer-checked for pull and tuned before being sent out. if they doubled, i'm thinking someone may have tinkered with the factory settings and that's why they tell you have to fix it if it happens. i wouldn't let the doubling thing keep you away as i'm not sure this is actually a problem.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    It depends on what you want to spend. If you you're looking for a good inexpensive trigger, I really like the Rock River National Match triggers. They can be had for $120 (or less; I think Dan had some on sale for <$100, recently) and are pretty good for the price.

If you have deep pockets, I'd go with Geissele. They're pretty hard to beat (they break like a glass rod), but at ~$300, they are a premium.

NYKh

Fear & Loathing
    Sep 29, 2009
    Whitemarsh
    Match triggers. They can be had for $120 (or less; I think Dan had some on sale for <$100, recently) and are pretty good for the price.

Had 2 listed for the Black Friday extravaganza but they were gone when I got there.

Looks like Dan restocked the RRA's. I gave him $$$ and he was even kind enough to put it in.
    Can't wait for Friday afternoon to go up to HAP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom