• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willydigger

Jul 6, 2017
    No issues. If it does not have a stock and a barrel length less than 16", Maryland considers it a handgun. ALL of the transport and carry laws of a handgun apply to it.

You do not need an HQL to build one or own/possess one. You do not need to register it. You only need a serial number (whatever you want) and a manufacturer's mark (whatever you want) engraved on it to sell or transfer it.

If you were to transfer it through gift or sale it would transfer as a handgun (on a 77r).
    Thanks for the detailed reply. For my own piece of mind can you link me to the sources.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the detailed reply. For my own piece of mind can you link me to the sources.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Unless otherwise exempt, as of October 1, 2013, a Maryland resident must possess a valid Handgun Qualification License before he/she may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. Details on exemptions may be found below. You do not need a Handgun Qualification License to own a gun you already have. The Handgun Qualification License is only needed for purchasing, transferring, or renting a regulated firearm after October 1, 2013.

That is from MSP's page. Note an HQL is only needed for "purchasing, transferring or renting" a handgun. Manufacturing one for yourself is none of those three. Borrowing from a friend at the range or while hunting is none of those three.

On MSP page is also information on registration requirements and it states only if you are moving in to the state. I believe it is the ATF that requires serialization before sale of a firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom