• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Ok, I am looking to buy at least 1 AR lower before the ban. What caliber upper can I use? I see lowers listed as .223/5.56 and then some say multi. I like the thought of a couple of different uppers to give you a wider range of use for the rifle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Calibers you can use on a AR-15 lower:

.22 rimfire
    .223/5.56
    300 Blackout/ 300 Whisper
    6.5 Grendel
    6.8SPC
    7.62x39
    .450 Bushmaster
    .458 Socom
    50 Beowulf
    Single shot .50 BMG Upper

Probably forgot a few. The caliber stamping on the lower means nothing, IMO. Unless your doing a NFA build.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Ok, I am looking to buy at least 1 AR lower before the ban. What caliber upper can I use? I see lowers listed as .223/5.56 and then some say multi. I like the thought of a couple of different uppers to give you a wider range of use for the rifle.

The "Multi" lowers are the same as the ".223/5.56" lowers aside from the marking. Some manufacturers have simply realized that there are many different calibers of uppers available and have started marking their lowers accordingly.

Ultimately, if it's an AR-15-compatible upper (EDIT: and not an NFA lower), only the marking on the upper counts as far as caliber goes.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan

.22 rimfire
    .223/5.56
    6.5 Grendel
    6.8SPC
    7.62x39
    .450 Bushmaster
    .458 Socom
    50 Beowulf

Probably forgot a few. The caliber stamping on the lower means nothing, IMO. Unless your doing a NFA build.

5-7 :D

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    So a .308 would require an AR-10 lower? Sorry for asking if its a dumb question but I am a noob in regards to the AR platform.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    5.45x39 :innocent0

Edit: yes, 308 requires an AR10 lower. The round is too long for the magwell.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    would the lower accept standard ak mags? or would you need to mod the lower or get specific lower?

They have mags designed for x39 to be used in an AR.

Think Rock River has a AR lower that'll accept AK mags.

NeverSurrender

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    Apr 3, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    The "Multi" lowers are the same as the ".223/5.56" lowers aside from the marking. Some manufacturers have simply realized that there are many different calibers of uppers available and have started marking their lowers accordingly.

Ultimately, if it's an AR-15-compatible upper (EDIT: and not an NFA lower), only the marking on the upper counts as far as caliber goes.

Are you implying that if you intend to SBR a lower on a form 1 that the caliber marking matters? Can you SBR a lower marked "MULTI"? (did not find an answer in the NFA areas).

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie

.22 rimfire
    .223/5.56
    6.5 Grendel
    6.8SPC
    7.62x39
    .450 Bushmaster
    .458 Socom
    50 Beowulf

Which of these would be good for shots out to 300 yards for target shooting?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Which of these would be good for shots out to 300 yards for target shooting?

For target shooting at that range -

1, .223/5.56 - still the easiest to get parts/ammo for.
    2, 6.8SPC - easily reach that distance, and pack more punch.
    3, 6.5 Grendel/.264 - will easily go the distance and then some, and pack more punch.

All the other calibers are capable of reaching 300y/m, but your going to have to work harder for accurate hits with them.

lower Part Kit (LPK) Question

What's up!! I was wondering if anyone would happen to build a Mag Tactical Lower. If so tell me the LPK that you use I'm been shopping around but cant make a final decision. But my top 2 are Stag Arms and Core15 (just cause they're built in my home town.) But....yeah let know what you think

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    What's up!! I was wondering if anyone would happen to build a Mag Tactical Lower. If so tell me the LPK that you use I'm been shopping around but cant make a final decision. But my top 2 are Stag Arms and Core15 (just cause they're built in my home town.) But....yeah let know what you think

Core15 LPK are just rebadged CMMG kits with a different trigger guard, so don't let that sway you (additionally it seems like LPK's tend to be like lower receivers and made by just a handful of companies).

Stag is a good LPK, although IMO the CMMG kits have a better FCG.

If you can choose option C, a PSA LPK w/QMS trigger. That is a sweet little combo right there (I only use Geissele triggers in my 5.56 builds (and as a result have a small pile of FCG's from full LPK's), but just recently built a dedicated .22 with a QMS and its pretty sweet).

On sale now for 75 shipped: http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ts/palmetto-state-armory-classic-qms-lpk.html

And no I've never touched a mag tactical lower (that's the magnesium lower with the bulging pin supports right).

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm

I do not know the exact particulars with this but I do know that the MAG tactical magnesium lowers have extended trigger pins. The lower does come with one but I heard that it does not work with enhanced triggers. (maybe someone has more knowledge of this?) I do know that when i bought mine from Gun Connection they had just got back from a machine shop where they are making custom pins to sell.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    I do not know the exact particulars with this but I do know that the MAG tactical magnesium lowers have extended trigger pins. The lower does come with one but I heard that it does not work with enhanced triggers. (maybe someone has more knowledge of this?) I do know that when i bought mine from Gun Connection they had just got back from a machine shop where they are making custom pins to sell.

Suggestion - go to the Gun Connection area of the Forum and leave the question for Dan...He wont lie to you.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Are you implying that if you intend to SBR a lower on a form 1 that the caliber marking matters? Can you SBR a lower marked "MULTI"? (did not find an answer in the NFA areas).

Sorry, I didn't see this right away.

I was just trying to say that the markings on the lower don't really matter unless it's an NFA lower of some sort. (No, I don't know why the hell I didn't just say that....) I don't believe that caliber markings matter on an SBR lower, but I'm not an expert so don't quote me on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom