• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I took my son (10 yo) shooting this weekend and we were looking at various .22's as well. I had the opportunity to have him shoulder a couple of 22's built up to look like AR-15's. One was built on a Ruger 10/22 action and the other on a Remington 597. The collapsible stock seemed to do the trick for enough stock to give him a good cheek position and be able to pick up the sights. The rub is that these were fairly pricey... IMHO... almost $600 for the 10/22 version and about $400 for the Remington (sans sights). Is this an accurate price? I was going to do $220 for a 10/22 at Wallyworld, but if these fit that much better it's worth a shot (no pun intended). Any experience in this new area for my would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I am not sure about any of the newer ones that have popped up since I stopped looking once I got my S&W M&P15-22. IMO it is the closest to a real AR in a rimfire version.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Gor a cheap ar style rifle budsgunshop.com has a mossberg 22 ar rifle for mid 200's reviews are mixed just figured i would pass the info along. I have no experience with it but have considered getting one myself considering the cost.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Just get an M&P 15-22, it's a .22 version of an AR with the same controls and the bolt locks back to the rear on the last round. Especially if you're willing to drop 400-600 to convert another platform to simply look like an AR.

Attachments

• P62202002.jpg
      P62202002.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 314
    • P62689503.jpg
      P62689503.jpg
      57.1 KB · Views: 314

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Gor a cheap ar style rifle budsgunshop.com has a mossberg 22 ar rifle for mid 200's reviews are mixed just figured i would pass the info along. I have no experience with it but have considered getting one myself considering the cost.

I looked at one last week. $300 flimsy piece of trash compared to three M&P15-22s right next to it. The least expensive M&P15-22 there was $420, but it was leaps and bounds better than the Mossberg. Complete no brainer on getting the M&P15-22.

OP, get the M&P15-22, either the least expensive version or take a small step up to the A1 version. I'm sure your son will love either one. M&P15-22 form and function is a dead ringer for the AR-15. I own both for side by side comparison. It's tough to tell them apart from any distance unless you know exactly what details to look for.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    The whole reason for looking into it is the adjustable length of pull on the collapsible stock so it fits my son's smaller stature. I figured we can lengthen it as needed when he grows into larger rifles. A smaller overall gun is OK... it doesn't need to be an exact AR-15 clone.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone.... does the S&W have different positions for the stock? I think the Remington had a 6-position stock... not certain on the 10/22, but I think it may have been a 4-position stock.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    There's still no better choice going right now than the M&P15-22. I haven't seen or handled anything at a lower price point that seriously compares. I saw a new one (basic version) at a recent MD gun show for $350. Another nice touch is that if you buy add-ons like grips, sights, or whatever for the M&P15-22, the same parts can be used on an AR-15 if you buy one later.

The M&P15-22 has a 4-position stock, same as mil-spec.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    If an adjustable stock is all you want, a 10/22 should be more than fine. Get the cheap base one, and find an aftermarket stock he likes. They're plenty reliable. My gf has one that's been hers since she was 7. She's put, I dont even know how many thousands of rounds through that thing, with no problems at all.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I own both the Umarex Colt M4 Carbine and the S&W M&P 15-22. You can get 30rd magazines for the Colt, while the M&P only goes up to 25rds if you are using factory magazines. The M&P has a functional bolt release, while the Colt is fake. The M&P is much easier to clean, which is good for new shooters. The M&P also allows you to swap the trigger group out with one from an AR-15 - something you can't do easily with the Colt. Both have 6 position adjustable stocks and threaded barrels (The M&P's flash hider is difficult to remove).

I like my Colt because it looks like a traditional AR-15 with carry handle, but I like the M&P because of the upgrades.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Get a real AR and a .22 upper or the S&W M&P15-22.
    The S&W is the best .22 clone out there.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Um, what about a regular AR with a .22 upper? change the spring, have an AR platform?

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    He said he doesn't care about it looking like an ar, he justs wants the adjustable stock...

Doesn't anybody read the whole way through anything anymore?

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    If an adjustable stock is all you want, a 10/22 should be more than fine. Get the cheap base one, and find an aftermarket stock he likes. They're plenty reliable. My gf has one that's been hers since she was 7. She's put, I dont even know how many thousands of rounds through that thing, with no problems at all.

This or get the M&P15-22 or Sig 522.

There is a new gun out now called Excel Arms I looked at one today at an industry show and they are very well made pieces I am a huge 10/22 fan and the fact that they take the 10/22 mag and AR standard stocks and grips make them a great alternative true I haven't fired one but i can tell you that the the guide rod seems to be much stronger than the standard 10/22 one and the receiver has the rail built it which is every nice. I believe that I will be getting one myself.

http://www.excelarms.com/rifles/x22rrifle.html

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Spikes tactical has a really sweet 22lr m-4 upper...build the lower and buy the upper,,, you can always get another upper when he is ready to step it up a notch ,,, the s&w and the umerex lowers are not compatable with standard ar-15 uppers..
    Spike's dumped their ST-22 upper last year. CMMG, on the other hand, has a fantastic platform that is substantially better.

Personal opinion: if you want a .22LR AR-15, you may as well go all out and buy a Frontier Armory LW-15 lower and a Chiappa or CMMG .22lr upper with a Magpul rear BUIS. The price difference between that and an M&P15-22 is not very much ($50-$75), and you'll have a real AR-15 at the end.

I agree, however, that if the OP just wants an adjustable stock, there are options that will work on a Ruger 10/22, and that this would be the better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom