• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have a RRA HBAR mid length, that I find heavy up front. Fine for bench shooting because it all rests on the bench. :D

The only rifle I would want have with me in combat would be my Core 15 carbine, which weighs in at 5.2 lbs. And NO it does NOT have a poly lower.

Now, 6.2 lbs, I would imagine, would not be too terrible. In all honesty, I would go for the lightest you can get. Unless you just want a bench shooter then... who cares?

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    As I recall when Stoner & Armalite submitted early AR10 style rifles for US military evaluation, a composite barrel using a steel liner & aluminum outer barrel was used, at the insistence of Armalite management and over Stoner's objections. As it turned out Stoner was right and the barrel was a failure. But that was over 50 years ago. I don't know if there's enough demand for any company to produce such a thing today, but it seems that in 2014 we DO have the technology now to successfully make a light weight HBAR profile barrel. Just something to think about. Of course the best outcome would be simply overturning our ridiculous laws that restrict such things as barrel thickness.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hummm. Carbon fiber anyone? Would need direct metal for gas block mounting, but c.f. for undewr the handgards ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A barrel that comes fluted from the manufacturer and is advertised as heavy is definitely GTG. A non-fluted HBAR that an individual sends off to have aftermarket fluting? I don't know...maybe still GTG, but definitely more of a gray area.

As long as they don't flute out the H-bar marking...;)

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    Hummm. Carbon fiber anyone? Would need direct metal for gas block mounting, but c.f. for undewr the handgards ?

you could have the entire barrel made from carbon fiber. you could even customize the fibers so the inner layers are weaved in a way to create a groove at your desired twist rate.

your problem is wear, and cost to manufacture. you are basically making a braided cable with a hole in the middle, with a resin of sorts holding it all together.

or you could buy one of these http://www.christensenarms.com/products/barrels/ca-15-barrels/

even though I think if you were that concerned with weight, especially at the muzzle end, you would be better off having the barrel fluted in front of the gas block.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Unless you Humping, say 10 to 20 miles with a 75lb pack and your assigned weapon, then the difference in weight might be noticeable otherwise I don't think it matters. Just comply with the law and find an AR with a HBAR you like or can afford or go with a 7.62/.308 an it would be a cash and carry...

thai

May 8, 2013
    The weight is fairly evenly distributed on a 16" rifle. It is negligible to me. But if you disagree, you always have the option of getting it fluted to take of the excess weight.

LWRCI IC SPRs are HBars and does not require any markings to indicate HBAR. They are fluted from the factory. Take a look. It is completely ambidextrous and as premium as you can get in an AR.

The top rifle with the ACOG below is the fluted SPR LWRCI.

Attachments

• 20141102_235224.jpg
      20141102_235224.jpg
      69.4 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads