• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drew_acid

Kreuzritter
    :wtf: is this abortion? Looks like it has been taken to a bench grinder - but why?

It's in an AR that fully functions - but I have never seen anything like it.

I plan to replace the guts but any ideas on this would be appreciated !!

Attachments

• hammer 1.jpg
      hammer 1.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 550
    • hammer 2.jpg
      hammer 2.jpg
      80.6 KB · Views: 530
    • hammer 3.jpg
      hammer 3.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 528

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Isn't that an old school AR15 hammer? The mil spec hammer is more common these days, minus the evil sear tripping thing-a-ma-bob on the end of it.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I see it's not an M16 hammer no tail but I can tell you that some old hammers had to be grinded to work I know on my first build in the early 90's I did this so it would function I bought the hammer from sarco They had surplus junk back in the day still have some laying around just trash it

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its a notched Semi Auto AR15 Hammer. They are junk and can cause wear on your carrier, induce feeding and bolt travel issues. They used to be used in conjuction with the carriers as depicted above on the left (Unshrouded Carrier) to prevent people from making guns full auto.

Good AR's need rounded hammers and shrouded Carriers.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    >>Good AR's need rounded hammers and shrouded Carriers.

Yeah brother! Don't want your BCG smacking up against some boney hammer! Nice and round is the only way to go...

For reference sake:

SexMakesBabies.jpg

drew_acid

Kreuzritter
    Its a notched Semi Auto AR15 Hammer. They are junk and can cause wear on your carrier, induce feeding and bolt travel issues. They used to be used in conjuction with the carriers as depicted above on the left (Unshrouded Carrier) to prevent people from making guns full auto.

Good AR's need rounded hammers and shrouded Carriers.

Apparently its from a surplus M16 parts kit used to assemble the lower in the mid 90s...

Upgrading to current production LPK should fix it.....

As usual I came to the right place for info - Thanks !!! :sign11:

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    Apparently its from a surplus M16 parts kit used to assemble the lower in the mid 90s...

Upgrading to current production LPK should fix it.....

As usual I came to the right place for info - Thanks !!! :sign11:

I have never seen an M16 hammer that was notched. Current Colt ARs still come with a notched hammer (only God knows why...). Spikes Tactical, LWRCI, Daniel Defense, Palmetto State Armory LRPKs typically come with the rounded hammers.

Notched hammers (as said before) are no bueno.

drew_acid

Kreuzritter
    I have never seen an M16 hammer that was notched. Current Colt ARs still come with a notched hammer (only God knows why...). Spikes Tactical, LWRCI, Daniel Defense, Palmetto State Armory LRPKs typically come with the rounded hammers.

Notched hammers (as said before) are no bueno.

It appears to have been notched via the bench grinder....

Reportedly these "kits" were gathered by Century from M16s owned by the Guatemalan Army and built on Oly lowers circa 96-97. SN run from 0001 to 3,402.

They must have been armory weapons as I can't imagine an issued rifle being in such good cosmetic appearance. :crazy:

While cleaning the layers of grime off the stock I found a faint "14" stencil - have no idea what is references ....:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom