• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    I had a nice delivery yesterday and now I need some help.
    Anyone in the Prince Frederick area that has a wrench and upper vice block and could help me out I would appreciate it.

I need to tighten up my new barrel and was wondering if I could just come by and tighten it up. I will even bring my own torque wrench.

Thanks,

Tony

2013-07-05_19-11-08_796.jpg

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I got a Yankee hill barrel nut wrench and a vise block you can use if it helps. I'm in st. Leonard. Sorry for being so late I just saw your post.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can tell you from personal experience. Follow Yankee Hill's instructions for the barrel nut. If you try and take it past their recommendations, you can seriously booger up the barrel nut.

I have a trashed barrel nut and junked upper receiver from learning that the hard way. So, just passing that along.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks BradMacc. This is my first. The quad rail didn't come with any instructions.

Looking at the barrel nut and jam nut, looks like a YHM setup. They don't take a lot of torque.

Hand tighten the nut, and use the wrench to line the next hole in the barrel nut up with the hole in the upper for the gas-tube to pass thru. That's it. You can go a little further if needed, but I wouldn't recommend going further than you absolutely have to.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Looking at the barrel nut and jam nut, looks like a YHM setup. They don't take a lot of torque.

Hand tighten the nut, and use the wrench to line the next hole in the barrel nut up with the hole in the upper for the gas-tube to pass thru. That's it. You can go a little further if needed, but I wouldn't recommend going further than you absolutely have to.

That's pretty much what I did. The wrench just came wrapped in bubble wrap, no instructions. My vice block has an adaptor that has a rod that will slide thru to make sure the gas tube fits. That didn't work so well so I just tightened till I could slide the gas tube all the way in cleanly.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert

Thank you. I got it from Mark's Armory and it was sold as a no name but he does carry YHM as the muzzle brake I bought is one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No problem.

It was a learning experience I could've done w/out to be honest. As finding another stripped upper for a decent price wasn't as easy as it used to be.

They're good rails, especially for fitting a can inside one. (One day Brad, one day...)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go. And what county you live in.

Just a can, and an agreeable sheriff - wouldn't worry about a trust. Some local sheriff's will do the CLEO signoff.

More than a single can, and a area that'll send you to MSP for CLEO signoff, then do a trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom