AR Barrel Nut Torque - Nut won't line up...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just wondering. What was the minimum torque when the gas hole did line up?

topgun

Feb 22, 2011
    White Marsh,MD
    Try making use of Geissele reaction rod( from a gunsmith maybe) and/or try a different torque wrench. I thought mine was good to go(craftsman) turned out it was out of specs.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Why not just buy a new upper receiver? You spent a premium on that Noveske barrel, might as well match it up with one that is in spec.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....I'm using Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease on the threads....
    Wait...What?

Does it squeak/chirp and stop cold when it gets tight? Synthetic lubricants work well for certain things, but this situation is a little unusual.

Due to the close contact between dissimilar metals (aluminum receiver to steel barrel nut). the recommended lubricant is molybdenum dysulfide grease. Moly prevents galling between the unlike metals upon installation and reduces the chances of electrolysis causing corrosion and freezing these parts together.

R.T.F......er...I mean "Please see page 3-39 and 3-40 of the armorer's manual:" http://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

Further, moly grease will impact into the metal's surface and enhance lubricity. IMO, thoroughly clean the barrel nut and upper receiver threads to remove the incorrect lubricant and work some moly grease into the threads, then follow the 'torque/loosen/torque/loosen..." procedure and you can probably get it to index correctly.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use this if the barrel nut won't line up after three torques an one try.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/82...eiver-lapping-tool-ar-15?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Use moly as E.Shell stated. As for buying another upper. The upper is the "cheap" part. Well, with good barrels running $600+. Also, read up on bedding the barrel. It's easy :D

Another tool type:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/810457/ptg-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-ar-15?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Just ordered one.:thumbsup:

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Great thread...short of gas block installation, this is the most important part of an AR build. Makes me more of a fan of the "no index" required barrel nuts. (Daniel Defense, Geissele, etc).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Great thread...short of gas block installation, this is the most important part of an AR build. Makes me more of a fan of the "no index" required barrel nuts. (Daniel Defense, Geissele, etc).

My D.Defence requires indexing.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Wait...What?

Does it squeak/chirp and stop cold when it gets tight? Synthetic lubricants work well for certain things, but this situation is a little unusual.

Due to the close contact between dissimilar metals (aluminum receiver to steel barrel nut). the recommended lubricant is molybdenum dysulfide grease. Moly prevents galling between the unlike metals upon installation and reduces the chances of electrolysis causing corrosion and freezing these parts together.

R.T.F......er...I mean "Please see page 3-39 and 3-40 of the armorer's manual:" http://www.ar15.com/content/webPDF/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

Further, moly grease will impact into the metal's surface and enhance lubricity. IMO, thoroughly clean the barrel nut and upper receiver threads to remove the incorrect lubricant and work some moly grease into the threads, then follow the 'torque/loosen/torque/loosen..." procedure and you can probably get it to index correctly.

Winner! Did the above and it lined up. It's still 80 lbs, but at least it's lined up. Thanks, Ed.

TripleEight

Apr 2, 2013
    Baltimore County
    You probably already know this, but if you're barrel nut wrench is extended off of your torque wrench, the actual torque will be higher than the reading on the torque wrench.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    You probably already know this, but if you're barrel nut wrench is extended off of your torque wrench, the actual torque will be higher than the reading on the torque wrench.

For me, I use a long torque wrench (24"?) and a short adapter (~1", maybe?), so my "L" was long and "A" was very short. The difference is inconsequential. It's not the space shuttle, it's a barrel nut.

11FD1SmbTrL.jpg

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Wait...What?

You are technically correct on the proper, Mil-Spec call out for a Government contract. However, the issue is not the grease specifically but rather the graphite content. Mobil 1 Synthetic has no graphite (it is synthetic). Graphite is a conductor and aluminum is usually a less noble (anode) compared to other metals. But also, unless you are a Navy Seal and immersing your rifle in salt water or are running a current through it, or if the rifle is constantly outdoors, I doubt galvanic corrosion would ever become an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom