• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grason

Sep 30, 2011
    I got my barrel the other day, I went to install it and it gets tight about half way into the receiver. Im sure if i tighten the barrel nut it will pull it all the way in. I just wasnt sure if that is normal. The other AR's i have seen beeing assembled, the barrel slides right in. The parts are spikes barrel and seekins billet upper.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Grason

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is it a Black Hole Barrel?

Stop now and take it to a Smith. If you force it you can crack the receiver or bulge the barrel threads.

Grason

Sep 30, 2011
    after looking at the rub marks in the receiver, it looked like the coating might have been a little thick. I did a little sanding with fine grit paper and it sildes in and its a sung fit. I can pull it back out with out tools. I think im good to go. Thanks for the tips!

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    good deal. snug-fitting barrels are a good way to get the rifle shooting more toward its full potential.

(snug, not tight enough to risk damage, just snug)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Snug eliminates play in the system. Say you're shooting at 500 yards. Let's make it drastic and say you have .5" of "play". Fire five shots and that's 1" in either direction at the muzzle. Now multiply that by let's just say 5 to get out to 500 yards. That's 5" before wind drop and other factors come into play.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I know of some smiths (very established fellas) who will actually use blue loctite on the barrel extension (being very diligent about not getting it ANYWHERE else on the rifle, of course) to help keep it in place. It's akin to bedding a bolt-action rifle to a stock.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I know of some smiths (very established fellas) who will actually use blue loctite on the barrel extension (being very diligent about not getting it ANYWHERE else on the rifle, of course) to help keep it in place. It's akin to bedding a bolt-action rifle to a stock.

I've heard green loctite also does very well, and from the one example I have to shoot, I'd say it definitely works.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    any of the loctite versions that are "eventually" removable (typically a goodly application of heat, and maybe a careful yet decisive assist from a rubber mallet) tend to do very well. If you never plan on removing the barrel, i suppose a fella could use standard bedding compound....although that would probably be fairly silly in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom