• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    A few of the older guys in there are great to deal with but there are many that are terrible when it comes to service. There are plenty of choices when it comes to handing over your hard earned money.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'd bet money that Atlantic Guns won't release anything after 8 days. Unless of course you're one of the customers that gets helped as soon as you walk in the door, despite the fact that people are staring at the pistol case, waiting for help but being ignored.

!

****I doubt they would release after 8 days unless you are a regular customer but you can always call them as a result of more recent events concerning MSP, etc.. They have been taking $50 deposits on various hard to find firearms with the plan of not putting it out on the shelves and calling the deposit holder when it comes in so they don't have to keep coming by or calling to see if it is in stock, etc.. I have done this and they did call me but I have been a customer of theirs for 20+ years when they were still doing archery stuff and I bought all of my hunting bow merchandise from them.

They do have customers that come in very regularly to purchase a great deal of merchandise, and to have guns previously purchased from them worked on, etc.. that they will help first as they know that it will most likely be a sale for them, and they are a repeat customer, etc.. I'm not saying it is right, but some people are treated with great deference there for sure as they have purchased very significant sums of merchandise and are not too picky about price as long as it is in stock, etc.. Before other options in the Rockville area became available, this was my go to shop for gun stuff. They do have sales, etc... but their prices are a bit higher than other places for sure.

I think they have been in business since the 1950's so they must be doing something right as even before the whole Newtown thing they have always been busy - especially the Rockville store.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    ****I doubt they would release after 8 days unless you are a regular customer but you can always call them as a result of more recent events concerning MSP, etc.. They have been taking $50 deposits on various hard to find firearms with the plan of not putting it out on the shelves and calling the deposit holder when it comes in so they don't have to keep coming by or calling to see if it is in stock, etc.. I have done this and they did call me but I have been a customer of theirs for 20+ years when they were still doing archery stuff and I bought all of my hunting bow merchandise from them.

They do have customers that come in very regularly to purchase a great deal of merchandise, and to have guns previously purchased from them worked on, etc.. that they will help first as they know that it will most likely be a sale for them, and they are a repeat customer, etc.. I'm not saying it is right, but some people are treated with great deference there for sure as they have purchased very significant sums of merchandise and are not too picky about price as long as it is in stock, etc.. Before other options in the Rockville area became available, this was my go to shop for gun stuff. They do have sales, etc... but their prices are a bit higher than other places for sure.

I think they have been in business since the 1950's so they must be doing something right as even before the whole Newtown thing they have always been busy - especially the Rockville store.

Well, some of your points are valid. High-value VIP/repeat customers should be treated well, but ignoring other clientele is just rude.

I have worked in restaurants, retail, service - including selling guns and currently being a gunsmith. I have always tried my best to help people on a first-come, first-serve basis. I have NEVER to my knowledge, intentionally left someone waiting while I greet and serve someone else who I recognize first. Everyone who walks in the door should at least be greeted, it only takes 5 seconds to smile and say "hey, thanks for coming in, how can we help you?" If you can't break away from your task, politely ask them to wait. Atlantic is a small store, it's not that hard. There are occasionally urgent matters where I have to break away from someone to help someone else (such as someone coming in to pick something up while dealing with someone who has had 10 pistols pulled out of the case and has no intention of purchasing), but I always excuse myself and try not to let anyone hanging.

Helping regulars (who probably get a better deal than any Joe who walks in) over new customers, who will likely pay sticker - and could POTENTIALLY become regulars equates to stepping over dollars to pick up quarters.

I have bought a few guns from Atlantic, and have witnessed rudeness and favoritism for favored customers, as have others. I always paid more when I bought there, and have gotten better service elsewhere. Once I discovered other shops, I stopped going.

I guess it's like restaurants, some places stay in business for years because of a regular clientele while getting so-so reviews from critics and don't retain many patrons past their core. Atlantic Guns may be an establishment, but I'm not personally a fan. I don't think I would have ever been able to spend enough money on overpriced guns to join the club... but I live in VA now so it's not a huge deal.

I've been treated worse in gun shops than at Atlantic, but only rarely. And I have been in a LOT of gun shops.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    I'd bet money that Atlantic Guns won't release anything after 8 days. Unless of course you're one of the customers that gets helped as soon as you walk in the door, despite the fact that people are staring at the pistol case, waiting for help but being ignored.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

Yeah I'm one of those guys. Put up or shut up, stop being haters. The op was just sharing a spot to pick up a decent priced ar15, not a bash thread. Go where you choose, atlantic isn't that bad, I get certain things there as well as from Lou. Each place can have its hit or misses. Ask for big Dave(mountain dew) he will do you right at Rockville.

P.S. there glock day prices are damn good for new glocks. Even when buds had glocks for 500-560 the price was about exact. Got an od 27 for 529$ in feb of this year that was lost in the back for a good while.

10:13am 6/1 called big Dave and they are expecting msp to send them a confirmation on releasing after 8 days. By this business week it will be reviewed and customers will be getting called. Ill be on so ill post it here. If they release and others close won't, well stop talking shitt about them all the time. Develop a repor by just showing your face and having a good convo with Dave or Bill.

Last edited:

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    Yup goto engage armaments 5 mins away you won't regret it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I've been dealing with Atlantic Guns since I was a rookie in the early 70s. I've bought most of my weapons from them over the years and never felt ripped off. I just bought a Stainless Mini 14 from them two weeks ago that was under MSRP. I also deal with Engage for Class 3 and their knowledge of ARs.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I've always been OK with Atlantic Guns and have been treated very well by them. Some of their stuff costs more; sometimes they run specials and they cost less. They regularly stock Cooper rifles and Freedom arms revolvers which is not something I see in every shop. They have a full time gunsmith and they're in high rent areas. Maybe that's the reason for selling above rock bottom. :confused:

As with any purchase I calibrate the decision to buy against the price, how hard it is to get the firearm, my wallet and my mood.

xgaspx

Pennsylvania Ex-Pat
    May 31, 2013
    Maryland
    Atlantic Guns Silver Spring is my preferred gun shop. I know people have mixed experiences with them but they have been good to me. Prices on guns and ammo are definitely not discount but I have gotten some good deals on mags. Lately they have had a ton of ARs, Glocks and HKs. Sometimes I go just to look at all the toys and dream that I had more money and a friend at MSP that could get my regulated purchase approved in a timely manner.

The assistant manager, Dan is the sharpest of all the guys there if you have questions. There is also a young kid whose name I don't know but he's good too. He's an Iraq/Afghanistan veteran with some good stories; a real American hero.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I was up that way yesterday and decided to stop in. They had more than just a few ARs. I also went by engage, they were closed but were doing some paper work. I knocked and he let me and another guy come in. Great guy and nice store.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Atlantic Guns Silver Spring is my preferred gun shop. I know people have mixed experiences with them but they have been good to me. Prices on guns and ammo are definitely not discount but I have gotten some good deals on mags. Lately they have had a ton of ARs, Glocks and HKs. Sometimes I go just to look at all the toys and dream that I had more money and a friend at MSP that could get my regulated purchase approved in a timely manner.

The assistant manager, Dan is the sharpest of all the guys there if you have questions. There is also a young kid whose name I don't know but he's good too. He's an Iraq/Afghanistan veteran with some good stories; a real American hero.

I sucked it up early this year and went to their Silver Spring store to purchase a handgun that I could not get anywhere else. My previous dealings was with the Rockville store was very passive or fringing on the rude irritated side like they hate their job.

Anyway my Silver Spring experience was great because I dealt with Dan and it made me think the Silver Spring store is run better until I came back to pick up my gun which was handled by a person who was impersonal which was ok but he ended up taking out his pocket knife to cut the plastic wrap which also gouged the handgun case. It appeared to me when he did it, it was business as usual and not by accident.

I did not make an issue out of it, I just wanted to get out of the shop and hope I don't have to buy anything out of desperation again.

I went to Engauge over the weekend with my Brother-in-law and soon as I commented on the HK P30 it was taken out of the case and in my hand for inspection. I didn't even ask to see it but I had a chance to grip it and feel the trigger pull. I do not expect that level of service or really want it but at the very least Atlantic Guns could be a little less standoffish.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    Does either engage or Atlantic have CX4 Berettas? I want a 40 caliber carbine to match my PX4 handgun. They are in the new ban but cash and carry as of now.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've bought my share of guns from Atlantic, both Silver Spring & R'ville, and don't have much problem with them. I cruise the cases to see what they have, and I don't much care to have an eager salesperson asking me if I need any help. If I want to see something, I ask. They've been decent to me, even doing a bit of free gunsmithing while I wait.

I've bought a fair amount of stuff from Engage, as well. Different shop, different attitude. Interestingly enough, I find a mix of personalities in all these places; some guys are pleased to bend your ear, others are abrupt. A lot depends on what else is going on in the shop as well.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    Yeah I'm one of those guys. Put up or shut up, stop being haters. The op was just sharing a spot to pick up a decent priced ar15, not a bash thread. Go where you choose, atlantic isn't that bad, I get certain things there as well as from Lou. Each place can have its hit or misses. Ask for big Dave(mountain dew) he will do you right at Rockville.

What's up with the griping. Someone posted about a place that has inventory and decent prices. I'm mostly a window shopper but Atlantic treats me well and have a lot of stock in AR-15s and other stuff. They have maybe 6 different types of tactical .22s. I like them. Atlantic is not the cheapest but it works out about even when you take into account 40 cents per mile cost to drive somewhere twice for a regulated firearm.

It has probably been hard to keep track of who gets helped next with the counter 4 deep and 6 people waiting at the cases. Engage is near by but has a different feel. I've started warming to the place after my last visit.

Last edited:

tvng22

May 9, 2013
    Never had any issues with either of the Atlantic Gun stores even as a new customer a few years ago. I've bought 2 rifles, 2 pistols, and shotgun without any issues. The guys at Rockville were even cool enough to install all the Magpul MOE accessories I bought for my AR as well as put a 3.5 connector on one of my Glocks. They are a bit on the pricey end but thats ok, theyll release my future purchases in 8 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom