• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BleedinPurple

Feb 2, 2012
    Hey guys im new to the AR world and just want to ease my mind as it has been bothering me for a couple hours..everywhere i have read that ar uppers can be shipped to my residence as opposed to my ffl...and it is only the lowers that must go through ffl correct?

but i know md is one of the more restricted states but i just want to make sure because i have already ordered my spikes upper!

BleedinPurple

Feb 2, 2012
    thanks for then responses guys...now i just need to decide what lower build kit and receiver i want to put together...

i know that uppers differ greatly from one manufacturer to the other, but are lowers more streamlined?

i assume most stripped lowers are pretty much the same, but is it the build kit that offers most of the differences?

and should i go with a spikes lower as well...i want the best fit to go along with the upper and want to keep the play between the upper and lower to a minimum, ala no rattle

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    You can even get all the parts for the lower except for the lower housing shipped to your house.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    i know that uppers differ greatly from one manufacturer to the other, but are lowers more streamlined?

i assume most stripped lowers are pretty much the same, but is it the build kit that offers most of the differences?

and should i go with a spikes lower as well...i want the best fit to go along with the upper and want to keep the play between the upper and lower to a minimum, ala no rattle

Generally, a lower is lower is a lower. Some have special features like a flared mag well or ambi capabilities, but anything under $150 is about the same, except the engraving.

Fit to your upper is a crapshoot, no matter the brand. Looseness doesn't effect accuracy on any real level, though. I actually prefer mine to be a little loose; can open without a punch.

Lower parts kits do widely differ. I like Spike's Enhanced and Daniel Defense, personally. I think the quality of the parts are a little nicer.

rnish

May 24, 2012
    If you are worried about the fit between the upper and lower get them from the same manufacturer. "Generally", a quality forged lower will blend with a quality forged upper. You may see the difference between texture and color of the coatings if you mix manufactures. Its when I've mixed and matched billet and forged that I have seen real cosmetic mismatches (not functional)....and so I just put the upper back on the lower it was ment to be on.

BleedinPurple

Feb 2, 2012
    you all make good points...thanks for the responses...only thing thats bad is spikes lowers are out of stock...and theyre generally 120+...id like to keep it near 100 because every little bit helps and i need optics

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom