• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I am right by free state. What do you mean standard capacity? You can't buy 30 round mags in MD.

Illegal to sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive or transfer any detachable firearm magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds in Maryland.

Not illegal to possess in MD, and not illegal to do any of the above outside of MD.

Cool new rifle, enjoy!

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    Illegal to sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive or transfer any detachable firearm magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds in Maryland.

Not illegal to possess in MD, and not illegal to do any of the above outside of MD.

Cool new rifle, enjoy!

Thanks, I cant wait to get out and shoot it.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    May I suggest: Rock River Star safety, ARI5 Ambidextrous bolt release, and a winter trigger guard --- though my Rock River winter trigger guard is larger than my Magpul's, it {Rock River} does not seem to have rounded off edges like the smaller sized Magpul does. I believe I have a Midwest Industry mid length free float forearm tube on my S&W 5.45x39 upper, that will accommodate the front site tower. A 1-6x scope will fit the bill very nicely. At 1x/1.5x...you can cowitness the front sight tower. I have a Burris XTR 14- I.5-4x on one, and a 1-6x Vortex Razor HD Generation II on the other, that is mounted on a 30mm QD Wilson Combat scope mount.

If I had enough coin...Valdada Eliminator 1-10x26mm x 35mm tube

You can get them all at Midway or Brownells, or the scope mount at Wilson Combat.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    May I suggest: Rock River Star safety, ARI5 Ambidextrous bolt release, and a winter trigger guard --- though my Rock River winter trigger guard is larger than my Magpul's, it {Rock River} does not seem to have rounded off edges like the smaller sized Magpul does. I believe I have a Midwest Industry mid length free float forearm tube on my S&W 5.45x39 upper, that will accommodate the front site tower. A 1-6x scope will fit the bill very nicely. At 1x/1.5x...you can cowitness the front sight tower. I have a Burris XTR 14- I.5-4x on one, and a 1-6x Vortex Razor HD Generation II on the other, that is mounted on a 30mm QD Wilson Combat scope mount.

If I had enough coin...Valdada Eliminator 1-10x26mm x 35mm tube

You can get them all at Midway or Brownells, or the scope mount at Wilson Combat.
    You forgot about the life sized cutout of Chris Costa and the Magpul Dynamic Carbine II DVD.

Twinkie, twinkie....

https://youtu.be/CmzHUiFrEjI

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    The only thing you really need is an optic, preferably a reliable red dot sight.
    The second thing is to take a serious carbine class from a reputable instructor. If you own a rifle, you should be skillful with one.

Don't blow your money on gear. Everyone is impressed with a guy who can shoot with a basic rifle. Then you should upgrade when you have the skills to take advantage of better gear.

Most people don't shoot their rifle much and it becomes a pricey safe queen.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The only thing you really need is an optic, preferably a reliable red dot sight.
    The second thing is to take a serious carbine class from a reputable instructor. If you own a rifle, you should be skillful with one.

Don't blow your money on gear. Everyone is impressed with a guy who can shoot with a basic rifle. Then you should upgrade when you have the skills to take advantage of better gear.

Most people don't shoot their rifle much and it becomes a pricey safe queen.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As I said a number of posts ago.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Brianns is right, ROCK RIVER ARMS is selling their 4.5lb National Match 2 stage trigger kit for only $62 instead of $120

Where did you find them for $62? There website says $85.

If you use the Rock River Match hammer, I suggest not using it on a dedicated 22 lr upper --- since I've broken three of them, each around the 3,000 round mark; while using a 22 upper. I also heard another story from a shooter on our range, that the RR match hammers have cracked an fallen apart with regular hi-power use. It's the top rear {sear engagement hook} on the RR match hammer that cracks and falls off. For any of my 22 dedicated upper use...I use a mil-spec hammer with an extra-power hammer spring.

It's {RR match hammer} such a spindly looking hammer in the first place. I would go with a trigger group that has a beefier looking hammer; or even a mil-spec hammer. Clint Smith...the instructor from Thunder Ranch, recommends using a mil-spec AR hammer when you go to his class; including bringing along an extra AR hammer.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Think of what your actually going to do with it 90% of the time. For me, I started with a vortex strikefire...which was cool and all...but it was limiting at the range when punching paper at distance. I switched over to a firedot mark ar 1.5-4x20 and have been pretty happy. I'd prefer it to a be a true 1x at the bottom end like a vortex strike eagle, but it's still pretty quick to pick up up close. A 1-6 would be ideal. The magnification really helps out at longer distances and you can just leave it on 1x to be used as a red dot in close.

Think of what kind of handguard you want and preferably switch to something free-floated. I started with a mid-length del-ton upper with standard furniture and then switched over to a yhm diamond handguard. With it floated, the barrel shoots a lot more consistently now. If I was doing it again, I'd likely go with something rifle-length in mloc to get a smaller/lighter tube than one with rails everywhere, and give myself more room out front to extend with my support side.

For defense, get a light. I'm personally partial to mounting a tlr1s at the 6'oclock...but something like an inforce wml at 9 oclock would be just dandy as well. Mounting it at 6 or 12 oclock enables you to go around objects to the left or right without blasting light back in your face. With mine at 6, it's easy to operate from my hold on the AFG and if the light and my optic are both clear on a target, the barrel is also clear from obstructions for height-over-bore considerations.

That stock will do, but something like a magpul moe sl will be more comfortable and give you some more mounting options for a sling. Speaking of a sling, figure out what you're doing there. I'm partial to the MS3 and have a mounting plate for the rear, with a magpul RSA up front. I really like being able to wear it as either a 2-point or 1-point depending on what I'm doing. I may switch over to a QD ms4 here before too long to take advantage of that rear QD point on the SL...but I'm happy with the MS3(which is my laptop bag sling for work most of the time).

For grips, many are comfortable...I personally like the hogue grips. They're tacky and comfortable.

For triggers...I've liked the timney skeleton 4.5 lb I've got on there, but there's tons of other great ones. Hipertouch and geissle are two that come to mind.

2016-01-16 15.25.23_20160122170608981-1.jpg

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    Think of what your actually going to do with it 90% of the time. For me, I started with a vortex strikefire...which was cool and all...but it was limiting at the range when punching paper at distance. I switched over to a firedot mark ar 1.5-4x20 and have been pretty happy. I'd prefer it to a be a true 1x at the bottom end like a vortex strike eagle, but it's still pretty quick to pick up up close. A 1-6 would be ideal. The magnification really helps out at longer distances and you can just leave it on 1x to be used as a red dot in close.

Think of what kind of handguard you want and preferably switch to something free-floated. I started with a mid-length del-ton upper with standard furniture and then switched over to a yhm diamond handguard. With it floated, the barrel shoots a lot more consistently now. If I was doing it again, I'd likely go with something rifle-length in mloc to get a smaller/lighter tube than one with rails everywhere, and give myself more room out front to extend with my support side.

For defense, get a light. I'm personally partial to mounting a tlr1s at the 6'oclock...but something like an inforce wml at 9 oclock would be just dandy as well. Mounting it at 6 or 12 oclock enables you to go around objects to the left or right without blasting light back in your face. With mine at 6, it's easy to operate from my hold on the AFG and if the light and my optic are both clear on a target, the barrel is also clear from obstructions for height-over-bore considerations.

That stock will do, but something like a magpul moe sl will be more comfortable and give you some more mounting options for a sling. Speaking of a sling, figure out what you're doing there. I'm partial to the MS3 and have a mounting plate for the rear, with a magpul RSA up front. I really like being able to wear it as either a 2-point or 1-point depending on what I'm doing. I may switch over to a QD ms4 here before too long to take advantage of that rear QD point on the SL...but I'm happy with the MS3(which is my laptop bag sling for work most of the time).

For grips, many are comfortable...I personally like the hogue grips. They're tacky and comfortable.

For triggers...I've liked the timney skeleton 4.5 lb I've got on there, but there's tons of other great ones. Hipertouch and geissle are two that come to mind.

View attachment 171237

-I am most likely going to get a Vortex Optics Sparc II 2 MOA Red Dot Sight and then a Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount.
    -I am looking at a Magpul STR stock.
    -Never really thought about a sling. Dont know if I will jump on that right away or not.
    -Might bet a Magpul forend grip for now.
    -If Im gonna do all others magpul I will do a magpul grip also.
    -Thought about doing a Spikes Tactical Trigger.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    -I am most likely going to get a Vortex Optics Sparc II 2 MOA Red Dot Sight and then a Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount.
    -I am looking at a Magpul STR stock.
    -Never really thought about a sling. Dont know if I will jump on that right away or not.
    -Might bet a Magpul forend grip for now.
    -If Im gonna do all others magpul I will do a magpul grip also.
    -Thought about doing a Spikes Tactical Trigger.

Instead of the Spikes trigger, get an ALG trigger.
    I have a Crosstac sling that is a 2 point sling, that and be changed into a single point sling.
    If you are going to put an optic on the rifle, consider getting an ACS stock, so you have extra batteries on the rifle.

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    Instead of the Spikes trigger, get an ALG trigger.
    I have a Crosstac sling that is a 2 point sling, that and be changed into a single point sling.
    If you are going to put an optic on the rifle, consider getting an ACS stock, so you have extra batteries on the rifle.

The Magpul Stock has storage for batteries also. I will look up that trigger.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I'd recommend a good optic (Aimpoint), a Surefire flashlight and a good sling. Thats all you need.

+1. I have a bunch of AR's with various accessories (different magnified optics/3x magnifiers/bipods and other tacticool toys). But if I had to pick one for the zombie apocalypse, it would be this one. Basic and reliable. If there's a chance you're going to use your rifle for HD, or plan to take a carbine course, a sling is a must. I like single point slings, but I also run some of the 2 to 1 point "convertible" slings like the Magpul MS3/Vickers 221. I'm partial to Blue Force Gear slings. There are lots of stocks with battery storage, and if you put a VFG on, most of those do too (like this Tango Down VFG). I keep an extra battery for the Aimpoint and 2 batteries for the flashlight in my VFG.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      45.6 KB · Views: 105

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    As stated above:
    optics, I prefer 1.5 X 5 Leupold scope on my carbine. Before it fell overboard.
    Spare standard capacity magazines; Before mine fell overboard.
    Ammo, ammo, ammo. Before mine fell overboard.
    A class from someone like Ed Shell!!!

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom