• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfarrell

Feb 9, 2013
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I'm looking to get a good sight for my AR. I like the red dots, but don't want to spend a fortune. I know the adage of "you get what you play for," but do any of you have any suggestions on good bang for your buck on some sights? Don't want something I have to re zero in after shooting a few times. Any suggestions?

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    I was going to go for the SPARC but decided to go for an EOTech XSP2 instead which is more than two times the price. But for people on a budget they are always recommended as the least you should go for. Anything else below that price point for a red dot is Chinese clones and questionable quality.

I also use a Nikon P223 3x AR Carbine scope. Those are around $150 w/o mounts. P223 mounts are around 50$

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Bushnell holosight. Basically an un armored eotech

Discontinued and 2nd hand ones are going at premium prices.

Primary Arms has some nice Chinese knock offs that actually function and can handle the recoil.

They also carry most of the major manufacturers also.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Primary Arms at 70 when in stock is a great deal for a cheap red dot, but you'll eventually just buy an aimpoint, so save the cash and drop 408 on the PRO.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The above suggestions are all good. Don't spend more than $150 or you're wasting your money. Once you approach $200, you're better off going all out for an Aimpoint Pro or EOTech XPS2/EXPS2.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Oh and the PA 30mm Aimpoint M2 Knockoffs will be instock very soon, they were thought to have got in this week, but have yet to arrive. End of March at the latest, but check often as they sell out quickly (and if you really want people to think its an aimpoint add the genuine M2 cover for 20 bucks or so).

I'm getting one for a dedicated .22 build, not so sure I'd put one on a non-range toy, but we all have our comfort levels, I just tend to error on the side of caution and minimize the effect of Murphy's First Law.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm getting one for a dedicated .22 build

That's what I did (PA micro on M&P15-22). Makes perfect sense.

not so sure I'd put one on a non-range toy, but we all have our comfort levels, I just tend to error on the side of caution and minimize the effect of Murphy's First Law.

I'm with you. You are betting your life on SD/HD firearms. Chinese-sourced optics with little or zero QA/QC have no place on such a firearm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Burris MTAC or TAC30 1-4x is my choice.

Illuminated reticle, that at 1x works similar to a red dot, but allows you to dial up to 4x for longer shots.

They also package them with a mount and a holo type reddot (FastFire II).

The TAC30 has a pushbutton illumination. MTAC has a dial with 10 steps, with an off between each step. TAC30 the entire objective turns for power change (faster to grip the whole thing), the MTAC has a power ring.

Sport Optics (www.sportoptics.com) is a great group to deal with.

I got the MTAC complete setup. $540 from Sport Optics.

http://www.sportoptics.com/200437-FF.aspx

TAC30 setup is about $450

http://www.sportoptics.com/burris-fullfield-TAC30-fastfireII-200433-FF.aspx

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    I like the features of M2 red dot scopes. double purpose as reflex sight and scope. EOtech is nice for CQB and less than 100 yards...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom