• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Hi all,

In anticipation of October, I want to pick up an AR. Money is tight right now though, so I figure a good way to secure an AR is to pick up a receiver now, and finish the rifle later.

Now, I'm no gunsmith, and at least for now I don't want to fiddle with 80% lowers or even stripped lowers and parts kits. I'm looking at this completed lower:

http://www.stagarms.com/tactical-lower-half-5-56/

I also noticed that I can also buy the lower without a stock, for 100 bucks less.

-Are there any glaring issues with this lower?
    -I assume installing a stock isn't too difficult?

For reference I'm looking to have a 16 inch barrel whenever I get around to finishing this. The rifle would be mostly for range fun and defense; not looking to compete or anything

Thanks in advance!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Stag is good to go.

Have a Stag lower sitting here with almost 11k rounds thru it. Still doing it's job.

Qscuba

Sep 4, 2010
    Frederick
    One of my buddies has a Stag. No problems at all. building a lower (putting on stock) this is where YouTube is your friend. Its pretty simple.

enjoi1968

Streets Closed Pizza Boy.
    May 10, 2013
    Honest question: Can you replace a door knob or put together an ikea piece of furniture?

Yes? Well then you can build a stripped lower.

Fwiw, if you have any mechanical ability at all (ever done an oil change?) You can prepare a lower with ease.

The lower parks kit is very very easy to install. And yes to answer your original question, yes to install a stock/buffer tube is easy!

Just fwiw don't let the fear of first time scare you away from a stripped build, it will help you to understand the function of the firearm much better.

Did I mention it's easy? :beer:

CarlosM

Mar 12, 2013
    Honest question: Can you replace a door knob or put together an ikea piece of furniture?

Yes? Well then you can build a stripped lower.

Fwiw, if you have any mechanical ability at all (ever done an oil change?) You can prepare a lower with ease.

The lower parks kit is very very easy to install. And yes to answer your original question, yes to install a stock/buffer tube is easy!

Just fwiw don't let the fear of first time scare you away from a stripped build, it will help you to understand the function of the firearm much better.

Did I mention it's easy? :beer:

I built my first one last night. Aside from flying springs it was a piece of cake!

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA

I cannot change oil, well that is to say I tried once, failed and decided to have the pros do it ever since.

I was 20 and had just completed an engineering program and thought I'd change my own oil. Took the test to rent the bay/life and passed it with flying colors, so I rented the bay for half an hour and got to work. The oil Pan nut was really stuck, and I had set the drip tray right under it, we'll when it broke free the Net Positive Suction Head (the weight of the oil above the plug) drove the oil out in a forcefull stream, missing the tray all together and soaking me in black sludge (Khakis and a white polo shirt).

I spent another hour in the bay cleaning up the mess, and getting around to the rest of the oil change. In the end it cost me $60 and two hours to do my own oil change, so now I go to Jiffy Lube and pay $35 (sure they feed you a bunch of BS about air filters and hoses, but it's still easier than doing it myself, no mess less time).

That being said, I can build a lower using an A2 grip, a razor blade and a framing
    Hammer (and a screw driver or Allen key).

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    Stag lowers and lower parts kits are good to go. They are a wholly owned subsidiary or CMT which has been a defense supplier M16 and M4 parts.

I have a couple of stag lowers but I prefer the finish on my Spikes, Aero Precision, and PSA lowers. The Stag’s have basic mil-spec finish while the others have a smoother more glossy finish. I am very impressed with the finish and machining on the Spikes.

Keep your eye on PSA. They have been having sales on complete lowers for $200.

You can order these lowers all day long at around $100 or less a pop. A complete lower parts kits runs around $120. And if you have any mechanical ability at all you can put it together on your kitchen table using a hammer, punch, duct tape, and screw driver or allen wrench. The hardest part is not scratching up the lower when getting the roll pins in.

If you are not going to build it up right away, just put the money into buying stripped lowers. The prices on the parts kits will only go down. Time is your friend in this regard.

When you do buy, have them sent to an FFL that is doing an “on time” release. If you don’t take physical possession prior to Oct 1 you may be restricted as to what you can build it up to.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    Hi all,

In anticipation of October, I want to pick up an AR. Money is tight right now though, so I figure a good way to secure an AR is to pick up a receiver now, and finish the rifle later.

Now, I'm no gunsmith, and at least for now I don't want to fiddle with 80% lowers or even stripped lowers and parts kits. I'm looking at this completed lower:

http://www.stagarms.com/tactical-lower-half-5-56/

I also noticed that I can also buy the lower without a stock, for 100 bucks less.

-Are there any glaring issues with this lower?
    -I assume installing a stock isn't too difficult?

For reference I'm looking to have a 16 inch barrel whenever I get around to finishing this. The rifle would be mostly for range fun and defense; not looking to compete or anything

Thanks in advance!

IMO, if money is tight, get stripped lowers. Spikes, Stag, PSA ones. You can buy a few. As long as you have a Purchase Order for them by October 1, you can take your time building. The stripped lower is the only part that will be banned post October.

Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Dammit guys, I had my mind set on buying a completed lower, and now you have me considering stripped lowers.

Anyone have a link to a decent video walkthrough? I checked out the AR-15 sticky, plenty of useful info, but could use more on the actual building part.

Last I heard, On Target was releasing after eight days. Anyone know if that has changed?

edit: also, do I remember correctly that 30 round mags will be illegal after 10/1?

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    This is a great vid on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1omm6jY7Gg

If the link does not work your the following search terms:

Build Your AR-15 Lower Receiver! by nsz85

Joe from Sure Shot Firearms and Tactical Supply is doing early releases. I'm sure there are others. However, Joe does it for all customers. Others will do an on time release, but only if you have had a prior recent Not Disapproved.

PS: You can find Joe in the industry partner section

Last edited:

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    I have 3 polymer lowers and have had no problems at all with them. Installed 2 parts kits myself with no issues. For what you are paying, you could by 4 polymer stripped lowers, or a Stag arms lower saving 100.00 here: http://www.runnerrunnerguns.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1818

Good luck.
    OB

Has anyone else ordered from this place? They have some inexpensive uppers in stock that I like (Diamond Rail). I've been looking around at some other places but Bravo is almost 1k for the upper I want.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I cannot change oil, well that is to say I tried once, failed and decided to have the pros do it ever since.

I was 20 and had just completed an engineering program and thought I'd change my own oil. Took the test to rent the bay/life and passed it with flying colors, so I rented the bay for half an hour and got to work. The oil Pan nut was really stuck, and I had set the drip tray right under it, we'll when it broke free the Net Positive Suction Head (the weight of the oil above the plug) drove the oil out in a forcefull stream, missing the tray all together and soaking me in black sludge (Khakis and a white polo shirt).

I spent another hour in the bay cleaning up the mess, and getting around to the rest of the oil change. In the end it cost me $60 and two hours to do my own oil change, so now I go to Jiffy Lube and pay $35 (sure they feed you a bunch of BS about air filters and hoses, but it's still easier than doing it myself, no mess less time).

That being said, I can build a lower using an A2 grip, a razor blade and a framing
    Hammer (and a screw driver or Allen key).

Yep, Jiffy Lube is easier until the 20 something noob changing your oil puts the wrong oil in, does not screw the oil filter on tight enough, and/or strips the hell out of your oil pan bolt. Nope, I prefer to change my own oil, and do it on my own schedule with Mobil 1 oil and filters. No guess work on what the kids at Jiffy Lube did to my vehicle.

I can change my oil with a simple box end wrench.

With that said, I will have them change the antifreeze in my truck. I just do not feel like dealing with 15 gallons of fluid.

With that said, I have yet to build my own AR, but usually do all my own work on my guns. I've seen videos on AR builds and it does not look as complicated as changing my oil (pun intended since it appears slightly more involved than turning a single bolt and removing a filter).

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Has anyone else ordered from this place? They have some inexpensive uppers in stock that I like (Diamond Rail). I've been looking around at some other places but Bravo is almost 1k for the upper I want.

If the BCM upper you're looking at costs $1,000 then it's likely worth $1,000. If the other upper is $400 then it's likely worth $400. Get what I'm saying?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When the price of the upper is cheap it means the parts they built it from are cheap. Does not mean it won't work fine. Its the reason a Porsche cost more than a Kia. They both drive but one does things better and is more enjoyable to use. I like modular handguards myself. A cheap upper will have one from Midwest Industries while a better one will have one from Samson, Troy, or Daniel Defense. It is quality you can feel but even cheaper parts at least work. If it is going to sit in the safe till the SHTF event it won't make a difference. But if you will be using it alot before then, consider buying a better one. If $400 is too cheap and $1000 is too much there are plenty of decent uppers in the $650-$800 range. Heck the Stag 3GH upper I bought was only $750 in 2012. That's a Samson Evo modular handguard and a fluted stainless 18" barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom