• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twist7d7

Feb 4, 2013
    Hello fellow gun lovers. Today I was talked into buying a ar-15 lower 80, the guy at the store made it seem like it would be easy to find someone to mill out the trigger box. It has proven to be very hard. Do any of you guys know where I can get this milled? The lower was made here in Maryland

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Only a FFL07 may finish the 80% lower for you. Any non manufacturer would be breaking the law to finish it for you.

Why don't you do a little researching? It's not impossible to finish yourself, and it's a fun project.

-Jim

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You might be able to find someone with the right equipment who would let you come over and use it if you bring beer.

Twist7d7

Feb 4, 2013
    That's one thing I'm looking for. I really want to get this done. I have a drill press but I really would rather have it done on a mill. I don't think I could manage building it myself.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Hello fellow gun lovers. Today I was talked into buying a ar-15 lower 80, the guy at the store made it seem like it would be easy to find someone to mill out the trigger box. It has proven to be very hard. Do any of you guys know where I can get this milled? The lower was made here in Maryland

Do they have any more?

Twist7d7

Feb 4, 2013
    Yes they had 6 and they are Very high quality. Do you have the tools/know how to finish them?

Twist7d7

Feb 4, 2013
    ive done a ton of research on it. the more i do the more i want to get it milled. maybe the second one i build will be a drill press one... anyone have access to a mill??

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    You may need a fixture to secure the mill/bit to make it easier to do on your own. It is a guide that lays out where to mill the trigger pocket and so forth. Also known as a jig.

If i can get my hands on some would there be interest?

ETA: Where did you get these?

Twist7d7

Feb 4, 2013
    i was looking at some on cncgun.com. this job is just to intimidating for me at the moment. i dont think i will be able to get it within the needed tolerances.

hard_core_emt

Mar 21, 2010
    Oakland, MD
    Get a Jig ! its the only way to clamp it down and get it right. I have blueprints to a lower receiver tho . But i still bought a jig. i machined my boys each one and had em custom engraved . Hopefully they will appreciate something that was built by there dad one day :D

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Get a Jig ! its the only way to clamp it down and get it right. I have blueprints to a lower receiver tho . But i still bought a jig. i machined my boys each one and had em custom engraved . Hopefully they will appreciate something that was built by there dad one day :D

This is the right answer for a first timer who is NOT a machinist. With a jig these are not hard to do, I wouldn't call it dead simple, but definitely within the reach of most who are reasonably handy. It takes me a while to crank one out, but it's very satisfying to know you built your own lower.

You didn't make any mistakes by buying one. It's a cool project. Now, I have a 10% (forging) that's a complex project, and as a result, it's still a brick. :)

Mark

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    It would be great if we could get someone with the proper equipment and knowledge to put together a "build party" like they do at aresarmor.com in California. They set everything up and you do the work to keep it legal. We could all chip in and buy the jigs and maybe "rent" the shop time.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I have two jigs for drilling and milling out the FCG pocket and all of the holes. All the bits too. I'm happy to make them available to those who want to do it.

Matt

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    mpickering thanks for the generous offer. I will take you up on that if I can find one at a decent price. Did you use a drill press or a milling machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom