• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    I'm looking to finally complete my AR build and have been on the market for a decent upper with my limited budget. I came across this one from PSA that looks Ok. Problem is I'm not sure if it's compliant with MD laws. I called PSA and they said it's considered a heavy barrel but it's not stamped at all on the barrel.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...1-7-11-sqr-free-float-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html

Before I buy, can anyone tell me if this is legal to own?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP has stated if it's stamped HBAR or advertised as an HBAR, it is an HBAR. I don't see any wording in the ad saying it's an HBAR.

Probably not legal IMO.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    no grenade launcher cut out on the barrel in the pics.
    the company tells you that its a heavy barrel.
    ask them to put heavy barrel somewhere on your invoice...
    And then buy it! that should suffice - guys buy barrels with a lot less documentation.
    Besides, I haven't seen the HBAR police for a few weeks now. :)

WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    Ok, I will call them back and make sure it will be listed on the paperwork before purchasing - hopefully they can accommodate my request.

WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    That's what I assumed but I felt it wasn't a 100% answer either way. Funny thing is, the guy I was speaking to grew up down the street from me in Baltimore.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    SKU: 7780257
    UPC: 7780257
    MFR#: 7780257

Barrel Length: 16"
    Gas System: Mid-length
    Barrel Profile: A2 Style
    Barrel Steel: Chrome Moly Vanadium
    Barrel Finish: Phosphate
    Chrome Lining: None
    Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28
    Chamber: 5.56 NATO
    Twist Rate: 1:7
    Barrel Extension: M4
    Diameter at Gas Block: .750
    Gas Block Type: Low-profile
    Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider
    Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
    Receiver Type: M4
    Hand guard Type: PSA 11" SQR Free-Float Rail
    Bolt Carrier Group Included: No
    Bolt Steel: N/A
    Bolt Carrier Profile: N/A
    Charging Handle included: No
    Overall Length: 24.5"
    Weight as configured: 3.4 lbs

Barrel: Chrome-moly vanadium steel, chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. The A2-style profile barrel is phosphate finished for durability and accuracy. Barrel is finished off with an .750 low-profile gas block, 11" PSA SQR Free Float Rail with integrated qd mounts, and an A2 flash hider.

a nice price,

but clearly states it is an A2 profile Barrel which sadly is not HBAR... similar to M4 without the grenade launcher cutout.

their uppers with HBARs clearly say heavy barrel

such as this one

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-chf-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-heavy-rifle-kit.html

Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. This heavy profile barrel is Mil-spec phosphate coated, High Pressure tested and Magnetic Particle inspected. Barrel is finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider.

WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    Well that's unfortunate, also annoying that they couldn't just tell me that over the phone.

Anyone know of a similar looking upper and price? Looking for 16" barrel with 10-12" quad rail around $300 w/o BCG and CH. I've come across Hardened Arms and Radical Arms but not sure about quality.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Well that's unfortunate, also annoying that they couldn't just tell me that over the phone.

Anyone know of a similar looking upper and price? Looking for 16" barrel with 10-12" quad rail around $300 w/o BCG and CH. I've come across Hardened Arms and Radical Arms but not sure about quality.

Midway USA.

DPMS products.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD

are you stuck on a 5.56? Suggestion - you could go with a .300 blackout and all of your hbar issues will go away.
    http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/rfupper16-300hbar-12fqr.htm

The Radical Firearms 16" M4 Upper Receiver is a flat top, law-enforcement grade, drop in receiver, ready to be mounted to any Mil-Spec AR-15 lower receiver! This fully mil-spec compliant receiver provides a high-quality upper for any level budget or shooter. Comes complete and assembled with Upper Receiver, Forward Assist, Ejection Port Door, RF Barrel Nut. 16" HBAR Barrel and A2 Flash Hider. Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle are additional and are offered at discounted prices in the drop down menus.

16" HBAR Melonite Barrel
    •4150V Chrome Moly
    •1 in 8" twist rate
    •HPT/MPI
    •AAC 300 BLACK OUT
    •M4 Feed ramps
    •Low Profile Micro Gas Block
    •DGI Stainless Pistol-length gas tube
    •Direct Gas Impingement
    •Mil-Spec A2 Flash Hider
    •12" Radical Firearms Billet FQR (First-Gen Quad Rail)
    •Quad Picatinny Rails for Mounting Lights, Lasers, Bipods & Sights
    •Forged Upper Receiver with Forward Assist, Shell Deflector
    •Made in Houston, Texas U.S.A.!

I have a 10.5" 5.56 complete upper from Radical. No issues whatsoever. It eats everything I feed it.
    Primary Arms partnered with them to sell their uppers and complete rifles/pistols. Not sure if you are familiar with PA or not but they have one of the best reps out there for providing quality products and great customer service/product support. My $.02 - They wouldn't have gotten into bed with Radical if they were some crappy fly by night operation. That would hurt their great rep in the industry that they've worked so hard to achieve!

If you don't want a .300, then I'd go with my original suggestion of asking them to put hbar somewhere on your invoice, in an email, whatever. That will cover you and then you'll get the upper you really want.
    Good luck,
    Jim

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    ? Regarding barrel profile outside of the handguard. It's stated that an M4 profile barrel is not and hbar due to its narrow profile under the handguard. Rock river arms has an R4 profile barrel they advertise as Heavy and it has the cutout for the launcher. It basically looks like an M4 profile barrel but is advertised as a heavy barrel. Is the cutout what makes it evil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom