• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hello,

I've got a few questions since I'm pretty new to AR-15s.

Found an IWI Zion Z15 that's good to go in Maryland, which seems solid.
    In my opinion, The IWI Zion is the best dollar to quality AR on the market. They can be had new for ~$900 and it is leaps and bounds better than any $500-$800 AR you'll find. Yes, the $2500 AR will likely be better, but the Zion is the best bang for the buck out there.
    Others have said the same in this thread.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I think some people are severely confused.
    Home defense, will typically not be "you'll clear the room "
    Noooo
    It's you'll be asleep. Caught off guard, mayb hear a noise n wake up and go look to see what you heard. And whoever is in your home blind sides you from a doorway as you head dazed half asleep .
    And WON'T have room to swing a AR around
    Do you even know what you're talking about? It sure seems as if you don't.

I get woken up in the middle of the night, I go from sleep to wide awake in the blink of an eye.

I've had home intrusions. I've successfully used a pistol or AR in them. I clear every room so that I know that nobody will be coming up behind me. Get with the program, buddy.

Beat your dead horse, foam at the mouth, get butthurt, etc... Have fun with all that.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Do you even know what you're talking about? It sure seems as if you don't.

I get woken up in the middle of the night, I go from sleep to wide awake in the blink of an eye.

I've had home intrusions. I've successfully used a pistol or AR in them. I clear every room so that I know that nobody will be coming up behind me. Get with the program, buddy.

Beat your dead horse, foam at the mouth, get butthurt, etc... Have fun with all that.
    I think whatever you are the most comfortable with would be the "best" option. Whether pistol or carbine. Both will work and both have advantages/disadvantages. I also think shorter can be better in close quarters. A 14.5" 556 is plenty short enough to maneuver in a building but a 5" pistol is definitely shorter. Not sure why all the animosity?

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    I think whatever you are the most comfortable with would be the "best" option. Whether pistol or carbine. Both will work and both have advantages/disadvantages. I also think shorter can be better in close quarters. A 14.5" 556 is plenty short enough to maneuver in a building but a 5" pistol is definitely shorter. Not sure why all the animosity?
    The title of the thread ses it all.
    And evidently by the Gung ho "call of duty" expert heros..
    These are the responses from that crowd.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I don't have a dog in the fight here. There is some reason behind using short barreled 5.56 rifles over 9mm. These numbers are approximate due the wide variation between brands, but the point can still be seen.

A 55 grain 5.56 bullet from an 8 inch barrel will give you ~ 776 ftlbs of energy.

A 124 grain 9mm from a 6 inch barrel will give you ~ 430 ftlbs of energy. You will get ~ 502 ftlbs of energy with the same 9mm bullet with a 10 inch barrel.

The point is, you will get more muzzle energy from something like an extremely short AR15 than from a normal 9mm MP5 type PCC.

It is true you loose tons of energy the shorter you go with an AR15 barrel, you still have more ftlbs (sometines as much as twice as much) of energy than you get with longer barrel 9mm firearms.

This is why law enforcement and military have transitioned from MP5s to AR15 style rifles with shorter barrels.

Don't think of a short barrel AR15 so much as a rifle with a short barrel, think of it as a souped up submachine gun.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    I don't have a dog in the fight here. There is some reason behind using short barreled 5.56 rifles over 9mm. These numbers are approximate due the wide variation between brands, but the point can still be seen.

A 55 grain 5.56 bullet from an 8 inch barrel will give you ~ 776 ftlbs of energy.

A 124 grain 9mm from a 6 inch barrel will give you ~ 430 ftlbs of energy. You will get ~ 502 ftlbs of energy with the same 9mm bullet with a 10 inch barrel.

The point is, you will get more muzzle energy from something like an extremely short AR15 than from a normal 9mm MP5 type PCC.

It is true you loose tons of energy the shorter you go with an AR15 barrel, you still have more ftlbs (sometines as much as twice as much) of energy than you get with longer barrel 9mm firearms.

This is why law enforcement and military have transitioned from MP5s to AR15 style rifles with shorter barrels.

Don't think of a short barrel AR15 so much as a rifle with a short barrel, think of it as a souped up submachine gun.
    But a "sub" machine gun doesn't have 8 inch or longer buffer spring tube sticking out the back doubling the length of SBR.
    Making it harder to maneuver in close quarters, unlike a Handgun or hell even a AK varient pistol or Mac11.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    But a "sub" machine gun doesn't have 8 inch or longer buffer spring tube sticking out the back doubling the length of SBR.
    Making it harder to maneuver in close quarters, unlike a Handgun or hell even a AK varient pistol or Mac11.
    Whatever dude, I don't care what you do. You might want less muzzle energy. That's fine. You might want a heavier bullet. That's fine too. You might feel the need to have a gun small enough to get in a gunfight in a phone booth. That is for you to decide. You be you.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The title of the thread ses it all.
    And evidently by the Gung ho "call of duty" expert heros..
    These are the responses from that crowd.

Seems to me that you don't know what a SBR can do. Stay uneducated, stay in the past, live under a rock.

Like I said before, you do you. Stay with your levers and bolts. Keep on using your revolvers because it's all you know. Better yet, why not just go back to percussion cap? Percussion cap is so much better than anything centerfire.

Do you only use a Sig to clear your home?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Seems to me that you don't know what a SBR can do. Stay uneducated, stay in the past, live under a rock.

Like I said before, you do you. Stay with your levers and bolts. Keep on using your revolvers because it's all you know. Better yet, why not just go back to percussion cap? Percussion cap is so much better than anything centerfire.

I use these to clear my house. You don't even have to leave your safe space.

1709574500957.jpeg

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md

Mayb when you grow up
    You'll know who your talking too bfore you start talking about them
    And out of these in the corner of my house
    Not a single one would I grab for against "home invader"
    Keep playing your Xbox kid

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240203_084630_Messenger.jpg
      Screenshot_20240203_084630_Messenger.jpg
      167.1 KB · Views: 25
    • Screenshot_20240202_143215_Messenger.jpg
      Screenshot_20240202_143215_Messenger.jpg
      174.2 KB · Views: 24
    • Screenshot_20240114_090345_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20240114_090345_Gallery.jpg
      115.6 KB · Views: 28
    • Screenshot_20240131_173937_Messenger.jpg
      Screenshot_20240131_173937_Messenger.jpg
      186.3 KB · Views: 28

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Mayb when you grow up
    The Barret may be a bit much but the SCAR with the stock folded could work. I just wish the SCAR didn't have a reciprocating charging handle even though you can mod it not to.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    The Barret may be a bit much but the SCAR with the stock folded could work. I just wish the SCAR didn't have a reciprocating charging handle even though you can mod it not to.
    The Scar, like tavor, is just different, most likely better design than the AR.
    But yes, the handle cycling on offside needs room to work. Or chew up your forearm.
    The 82A1 Barrett? Lol
    It's whole purpose is to stop would be home defense situations from happening a long. Long ways bfore they get to your home.
    The blessings of a house situated with 450 yard plus in any direction clearance from property line
    Nooo neighbors is good neighbors kinda deal

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Mayb when you grow up

All I see are screenshots that anybody could have taken. Where are the feet?

Nothing in any of those pics falls under NFA for SBR or SBS. Keep trying. But with your sentence structure, spelling, and lack of punctuation, it seems as if it's best that you just stop trying.

Xbox? Kid? That's the best you have? Some preconceived notion that that kind of personal attack will hurt me and make me bow down to your infinite, God like wisdom? Get a clue. It does nothing but show how out of touch you are with reality.

Oh, and just a random info nugget for you, I haven't played on an Xbox since the first one came out. But then again, your assumption is that all I know is from CoD. News flash, homie. The last CoD game I played was back on the PS3, about 15 years ago. I have my SBR's. I have my cans. All are 100% legal with a tax stamp. No CoD credentials are required. But you keep on trying. Never know, you might actually succeed one day in a personal attack. But I doubt it.

Keep on rolling, Elmer.

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    All I see are screenshots that anybody could have taken. Where are the feet?

Nothing in any of those pics falls under NFA for SBR or SBS. Keep trying. But with your sentence structure, spelling, and lack of punctuation, it seems as if it's best that you just stop trying.

Xbox? Kid? That's the best you have? Some preconceived notion that that kind of personal attack will hurt me and make me bow down to your infinite, God like wisdom? Get a clue. It does nothing but show how out of touch you are with reality.

Oh, and just a random info nugget for you, I haven't played on an Xbox since the first one came out. But then again, your assumption is that all I know is from CoD. News flash, homie. The last CoD game I played was back on the PS3, about 15 years ago. I have my SBR's. I have my cans. All are 100% legal with a tax stamp. No CoD credentials are required. But you keep on trying. Never know, you might actually succeed one day in a personal attack. But I doubt it.

Keep on rolling, Elmer.
    Lol
    I just keep laughing at you chattering about sweeping a room with your 3 feet long SBR with can n buffer tube.
    Then I remembered. I use the Kirby for "sweeping " my rooms.
    And Jackson is for home defense. Bar none. Nobody gets thru door, if I'm asleep, or not even at home.
    And is much much more effective than your "permitted" toys.

Attachments

• 20220330_141715.jpg
      20220330_141715.jpg
      716.1 KB · Views: 22

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Lol
    I just keep laughing at you chattering about sweeping a room with your 3 feet long SBR with can n buffer tube.
    Then I remembered. I use the Kirby for "sweeping " my rooms.
    And Jackson is for home defense. Bar none. Nobody gets thru door, if I'm asleep, or not even at home.
    And is much much more effective than your "permitted" toys.
    You are still stuck on that 3 feet. We already proved that wrong. Keep trying, Elmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom