• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    anyone have one of these on a rifle, i'm thinking about it for my AR-15. I've never accessorized a rifle before so not sure if light mounts are fairly standard or if i would have a problem attaching one that doesn't come with a mount.

Fenix LD20 Cree Premium (Q5) 180 Lumens Black LED Flashlight + FREE SHIPPING
    Retail price: $72.95
    Our price: $59.99
    You save: $12.96

SKU #: Fenix-LD20B

Feb 16, 2010
    lanham, MD
    Sorry this isn't directly related to you question; but I have always been a surefire guy and ran across these fenix models and was wondering how reliable they are how they hold up to heavy use and every day use. I carry a surefire 6p led and its been through hell and back and it hasn't let me down. You have any review about their quality.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    I bought a Fenix light (not mounted) and so far I am impressed and it has yet to fail (moderate use only). That said I still run surefires on my guns (side note, I broke an X200 and a M910 and SF fixed both at no cost to me).

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    What would i have to get to mount a Fenix?

You need a mount that'll hold a light of 0.827 inches in diameter, which seems like a really odd measurement.

Or duct tape :P

I'd say just get a surefire scout and be done with it, it'll last, they'll guarantee it, and it comes with a mount.

There's other non-weapon mounted surefires, and you can find some sweet mounts for those here: http://www.dangercloseconsulting.com/products.html

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Surefire Scout Mini M300A- $335
    Surefire Scout M600 - $545

Fenix LD20 Cree Premium - $54

Uhm, the surefires aren't even close to same category.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I understand that you get what you pay for and i believe lot of what you pay for in Surefire is brand name and advertising. If i have to pay over $100 that is one thing but going from $50-70 to over 300 is not comparable. I am asking if anyone at MDS has gotten any of these and mounted them. If you have experience with them and surfires than that comparison would be appreciated. But in my opinion just saying " get surefire scout" when it is 6-7 times as much as what i'm asking about is not helpful. Sorry but this is a sore point for me i guess.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I understand that you get what you pay for and i believe lot of what you pay for in Surefire is brand name and advertising. If i have to pay over $100 that is one thing but going from $50-70 to over 300 is not comparable. I am asking if anyone at MDS has gotten any of these and mounted them. If you have experience with them and surfires than that comparison would be appreciated. But in my opinion just saying " get surefire scout" when it is 6-7 times as much as what i'm asking about is not helpful. Sorry but this is a sore point for me i guess.

Sorry, man, I didn't mean to be "that guy." I can see now that I was. Check out the other surefire's I liked to and the dangercloseconsulting.com mounts for them. They're closer to your price points. I don't have any experience with Fenix, so I can't speak to how they are. They do seem to have a weird diameter which you'll have a hard time finding a mount for, so keep that in mind.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    A .83 diameter mount might work, but I'm not sure if the difference is enough, you'd probably have to ask the mount manufacturer or get one and see if it will work. Keep in mind that 6 inches is also pretty long, so think about what that might get in the way of or take up space or stick out really far.

(This is me trying to not be "that guy" and be helpful)

m21att1

Nov 19, 2007
    You may want to try an Elzetta ZORM or ZROC Mount. Each comes with Sizing Adapters to accomodate any cylindrical light from 0.7 to 1.1 inches in diameter. They are good to go!

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    The reason the Fenix is a different/odd size, is that it uses AA batteries. I have an LD20, and it works fine. In one setting, you have Full Power (180 Lumens), and a tailcap push puts it into strobe mode. Turn the bezel ~ 10 degrees, you get Hig, Medium, and Low intensities, along with an SOS mode by pressing the tailcap. It's a good glovebox light. For mounting, you would probably need a spacer (Shaft Collar) for 1 inch rings.

I haven't had any problem with mine.

Or you could go with a Surefire G2L (G2 LED), and 1 inch rings.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I will look at all the options, i'm not stuck on Fenix. I thought they looked good and didn't really know the diameters were that variable. What is a good max lumens to look for the Fenix says 200 but the ones you referenced in the lower prices were up to 80. Is there any conventional wisdom for brightness on tactical lights. I would think more is better but i'v been wrong before.

That Zorm mount looks like the perfect answer.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Around 100 lumens is plenty.

As with most things, mission dictates equipment.

Mind you, I'm a noob, but I've done a lot of reading, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you're going to be using it indoors, 100 lumens is probably the brightest you want, because you will blind yourself indoors at night lighting up a wall or a guy, so then neither of you have the tactical advantage. I think on the Magpul DVD where they're talking about equipment they say something to the effect that around 100 lumens is plenty bright out to 100m, but I'd have to watch it again to get exactly what they said.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Fenix makes excellent lights, as do EagleTac, JetBeam, and some others. However they do not have the big two brand recognition. I carry an EagleTac at work and it is an awesome little light for 50 bucks. It is rated at 230 lumens and it is the brightest flashlight I have, far, far brighter than the full-sized Streamlight 20's we are issued.

I would also stick more with the Lithium battery lights. AAA batteries simply do not have the output or the shelf life of Lithiums. You can get a set of good rechargeable CR123's and a charger on ebay for under 20 bucks.

A good place to look for info is www.candlepowerforums.com.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Around 100 lumens is plenty.

As with most things, mission dictates equipment.

Mind you, I'm a noob, but I've done a lot of reading, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you're going to be using it indoors, 100 lumens is probably the brightest you want, because you will blind yourself indoors at night lighting up a wall or a guy, so then neither of you have the tactical advantage. I think on the Magpul DVD where they're talking about equipment they say something to the effect that around 100 lumens is plenty bright out to 100m, but I'd have to watch it again to get exactly what they said.

If you have been "hit" with 80+ lumens in a semi-dark house, or even outdoors, you will see spots. Anything 180+, you will be seeing it THROUGH your eyelids, literally. Anything after 80 will do.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    If you have been "hit" with 80+ lumens in a semi-dark house, or even outdoors, you will see spots. Anything 180+, you will be seeing it THROUGH your eyelids, literally. Anything after 80 will do.

Agreed, I purposely flashed myself with my 100 lumen scout in the mirror, just to see what it'd be like, all I can say is %@$&!@%#$!# that's bright.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Been hit with 200+ Lumen Surefire Turbo Head Light, in daylight, and I "saw" it through my eyelids. Didn't see spots, but I knew it was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom