• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    Hey guys. I'm still sort of new to the forum but I have been a lot of your guys' posts. Anyway, I recently purchased an AR-15 lower, and have it mostly assembled except for the buffer and safety and grip. I am going to order the parts soon just going to do it all at once. Anyway, here is the upper receiver group I believe I am going to get: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-LW-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw-bfh.htm

So here are my questions: When I asked Bravo Company which weight buffer they recommended for this particular upper receiver group they said that as long as I run good quality mil spec ammo they would recommend the H weight buffer and if I run crappy, non-mil-spec ammo they would recommend the carbine weight. Obviously they preferred that I run the high quality mil spec ammo. So since I know absolutely nothing about ammo, especially 5.56, what is meant by the term "mil spec" when it comes to ammo? Does that just mean I need 5.56 NATO? And then what are your guys' thoughts when it comes to the H vs Carbine weight buffer systems? Here is the buffer in question: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/stock%20hardware%20kit.htm

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    BCM is basically right to a certain point. They are telling exactly what they need to tell a customer in order to get his/her rifle functioning perfectly.

Using H buffers can effect cycling when using cheap ammo however there are other factors at play as well. They tell you to run carbine just to be on the safe side.

The general rule of thumb when choosing a buffer is to run the heaviest buffer your rifle will allow and run reliably with. You can only achieve this through trial and error.

All I can do is tell you what my experiences are with my BCM middy a long with other mid-length systems.

Just forget the carbine buffer. Let's just replace the carbine buffer with an H buffer. Like I said, BCM is just being on the safe side by recommending that. They are trying to cut down on the idiots calling them and asking why their rifle doesn't cycle Tula.

In my experience with all mid-length gas systems (including a BCM which is my main rifle) , an H buffer will run everything from cheap steal case up to mil-surp 5.56. On my BCM Middy, I'm actually able to run anything I want using an H2 buffer. I just ran 200 rounds of Tula a few weeks ago without a single hitch. In my opinion, the H2 buffer is what you should run.

Now, let's talk about what didn't work with all ammo types. When using an H3 buffer, I sometimes couldn't get Tula to cycle. I would say on average, I had about 3-4 short strokes every 20 rounds. The rifle did cycle perfectly when using 5.56 and other good quality ammunition such as Hornady Tap. My favorite set up when I know all I will be shooting is 5.56 is a H3 buffer with a red Sprinco Spring. Using the heavy buffer and heavier spring made it impossible to cycle the cheap underpowered stuff.

Bottom line. Just play around with it. You will find your favorite set up. Don't worry about spending some extra money on a buffer or two. You could always resell them for minimal loss or use them for future builds.

Honestly, if I were you, I would run an H2 buffer. It should cycle everything as long as you break the rifle in properly. Make sure the first 100 or so rounds is 5.56 and it should run smooth with all ammo types after that. If everything runs perfectly fine with the H2 (and it should) then grab yourself a Blue Sprinco Spring. This is the exact set up on my middy from BCM and it runs great with a noticeable reduction in recoil.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom