• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    More, potentially useless, data. I took results ONLY from this thread. I took the first few recorded approvals, which had no permit numbers attached. I did not search further to see if their numbers were later updated:

MagDump was approved on 7/18, but no permit number was listed. SquareGrouper and Wicomico2a were also early approves w/out permit numbers.

The lowest permit number I could find in this thread was:
    454xx Swinokur

Last permit number recorded so far is
    576xx NYRangers917

If you have a permit number lower or higher than above, let me know, i'll update the data.

The first mention of an Application Number I could find was ~114xx from swinokur. If anyone finds a lower number, let me know.
    I haven't sorted out the highest App number yet. edit: going to use 476xx from sundazes' post immediately prior to this one.

The class of 8/04 seems to be currently on deck for NICS checks.

In the future, the data will be presented much more concisely.
    LowPermit# 454xx swinokur
    HighPermit# 576xx NYRangers917

LowApp# 114xx swinokur
    HighApp# 476xx sundazes

DateCurrentlyGettingNICS - DateOfNICS 8/04 - 9/10

Post edited to reflect data from Swinokur (and thank you!)
    No need to go back to the beginning since MSP told us on the zoom call 8/4 that there were 25,000 apps submitted post Bruen (as of that date), of which 18,000 had been accepted and 6100 approved. We can start from then.

Permit numbers that week were ~47xxx. So generally I agree that there have been 10k approvals since 8/4 on top of the 6.1 k as of 8/4, for about 16k total. No way to know how thats split between renewals and new apps. They still have issued more permits in 9 weeks than all new permits of 2021!

We also have the additional data sent by 2A Maryland (https://myemail.constantcontact.com...---18.html?soid=1126946810232&aid=0XChTkhEEsA) that there were 34,000 apps post-Bruen as of 8/23. And YTD apps are split 80/20 new applications.

There is another zoom call 9/14 so we will be able to benchmark our estimates.

However you slice the data:
    * Permits 6/23- 8/23 averaged 3900/week
    * Permits 8/4-8/23 averaged 3300/week
    * Approvals are averaging ~2000-2400/week. Still.

We seem to have these great days when 600 are approved, but its choppy.

The backlog is still growing faster than the approvals. Caution: Infinite wait time ahead.

At the current processing rate, we will be at the point that those who submitted in early August will have a >60 day wait (1st week in Oct), and those who submitted in late August will wait the full 90 days (thanksgiving approval).

Those who submitted in the last two weeks are already over the 90 day wait.... unless MSP really picks up the pace.

MSP has done a fantastic job, I am not criticizing. I am merely pointing out that we still have a long way to go before we where submission-approval ~ 60 day steady state.

Cal516

Aug 28, 2022
    Maryland
    UPDATE: Approved. Data in Tracking Thread.
    Cruelest joke ever … 7/29er. Get email from MSP at 9:05AM today.

“The review of your Handgun Permit application, 22HGP045XXX, has been completed by Maryland State Police, Licensing Division. You will receive written notification of the disposition via the United States Postal Service within 5-7 business days.

You may also view the status of your application by logging into the Licensing Portal at:”

The server is down !!!

Last edited:

DK04

Sep 9, 2022
    Fredrick
    Have 8 Aug acceptance date and nothing since. My guess after reading all the information here is that early Aug acceptance dates will see NICS within 14 days or so with approvals mid October.
    We've waited this long so what's another month or so right

My thoughts exactly. With acceptance date of 8/7 we are pretty much in the same boat. Maybeeeee permit in hand on or a little before Halloween. Maybeeeeee…..haha

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    My thoughts exactly. With acceptance date of 8/7 we are pretty much in the same boat. Maybeeeee permit in hand on or a little before Halloween. Maybeeeeee…..haha

Very hard to say. My acceptance date was 8/2. I got NICS 9/1 (I think). I don't know if MSP have folks doing NICS checks 100% of the time or if they rotate between apps and NICS periodically.

Either way the time between accepted and NICS seem to be going up.

Last edited:

DK04

Sep 9, 2022
    Fredrick
    Very hard to say. My acceptance date was 8/2. I got NICS 9/1 (I think). I don't know if MSP have folks doing NICS checks 100% of the time or if they rotate between apps and NICS periodically.

I gotcha! Yeah who knows. I haven’t received NICS check yet… maybe in the coming days/week Can’t really complain. I’m really just happy I was able to get it in when I did. However, fingers crossed sooner then later for all of us!

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Quoting/bumping this, because you new fish have very little idea as to the shit storm we're going to face when the legislature convenes once more in January. They will have had months to get their grabbing ducks in a row. They will have had the benefit of seeing what worked and didn't in other grabby states.

Worst of all, every last one of those scumbags will have been recently elected/re-elected and not really be worried about getting voted out in four years.

Truly, open up your wallets and help those who do tireless work on our behalf. I've been there. I did that. I burned out. I walked away for a while. I'm back.

Fvck the grabbers. Join Maryland Shall Issue.

As a former Marylander, you have inspired me to rejoin MSI so I can help my brothers and sisters in Maryland keep up the good fight.

Right below joining MSI in importance is voting for the correct candidates. I know several people who claim they are very pro-gun, but vote for the anti-2A candidate in almost every election. You have to choose whether you are pro-2A or whether you toe the anti-2A party line. It's a binary choice.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    As a former Marylander, you have inspired me to rejoin MSI so I can help my brothers and sisters in Maryland keep up the good fight.

Right below joining MSI in importance is voting for the correct candidates. I know several people who claim they are very pro-gun, but vote for the anti-2A candidate in almost every election. You have to choose whether you are pro-2A or whether you toe the anti-2A party line. It's a binary choice.

Thank you brother from a different state

It’s appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Very admirable indeed.

Sentinel911

May 8, 2015
    Correct. The accepted date is the driver. There is a relationship between NICS-approved, but it's not a significant driver. NICS is good for 30 days, so for those that have gotten it early, I expect it had been re-done after the initial run.

This is not accurate.

The accepted date is the driver.
    I guess I get two NICS. Or three! Wonder if they can use the NICS done for my HQL application or my handgun purchase recently? It reflects 8/10 on my application.

Cal516

Aug 28, 2022
    Maryland
    Correct. The accepted date is the driver. There is a relationship between NICS-approved, but it's not a significant driver. NICS is good for 30 days, so for those that have gotten it early, I expect it had been re-done after the initial run.
    For what it’s worth, my page 7 today still reflects my 7/29 NICS date & number.

Huff

Oct 3, 2015
    Applied 6/17. Got approved thia past week. Had existing hql and im a dd214 alum. So about 50 days from start. Still no card in the mail as of today

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom