• Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm looking on Gerber's website now...

Tier 3 (good): 440C
    Tier 2 (better, best bang for buck): ATS-34/154CM, VG-10, S60V
    Tier 1 (best): BG-42, S90V, S30V
    Wildcard (around salt water): H1

Personally, I shop in tiers 1 and 2, both of which offer superb steel. I also buy H1 blades. VG-10 is probably the best all-around choice. If you encounter it, avoid ZDP-189 for a kit like this, since it rusts/corrodes way too easily.

Cool, great info, thx!
    What others do you like? What do you think of titanium, and ceramics?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Cool, great info, thx!
    What others do you like? What do you think of titanium, and ceramics?

Titanium (Ti) blades are nice for use in salt water, although no more so than H1 steel. Titanium is a lot stronger than steel by weight, but brittle. You'll need a thicker Titanium blade (compared to steel) to resist snapping, so any weight advantage is lost right there. A thick Ti blade can be tougher to cut through many materials with than a thin steel blade. High-quality steel blades tend to take and hold a much sharper edge than Ti blades. H1 blades hold a sharper edge than Ti.
    http://scubagearreports.com/index.p...tlight-folding-dive-knives&catid=41&Itemid=27

Ceramic blades are nice for fresh food preparation (without bones) because they won't rust and can be made extremely sharp. The edge won't hold up nearly as well as good steel like VG-10. Ceramic blades are very brittle and snap easily compared to a steel blade. For example, trying to cut through frozen food or bone will snap or chip a ceramic blade. During food prep work, you can break a ceramic blade if it knocks/bangs a solid-surface countertop. The brittleness is what relegates ceramic blades to fresh food prep only. It's not a good material for general-purpose or survival blades.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=61981
    the parang's fun. I've had some good times with it.
    I still wouldn't get the kit though. Now what i WOULD want is that busse team gemini of daryl's. That knife is badass to the n'th degree.
    TeamGemini2A[1].jpg

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Gerber has never really interested me. They charge midrange prices for bargain products. Their infantry knife, as mentioned before, is below the quality of steel I would expect for the price. I picked up a SOG Seal Pup plain blade, black finish in AUS-8 for around $80 that has served me very well.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Refrained from voting as I would not pay even $200 for that ensemble. If I wanted an "Apocalypse kit" I would rather pick out the specific tools I'm likely to use and at better quality rather than a 'as seen on tv' pre-made set.

Agree with Numidian, the machete is useful, but in our climate what does a machete do well aside from clearing brush that a hatchet cannot? If weight/space is an issue, I think hatch > machete.

Swagtimecharles

I'm all out of gum.
    Sep 30, 2011
    Upper Marlboro
    I personally think the thing is more of a conversation piece than tactically sound. While the carrier is cool, and the versatility of the kit is unmatched as a whole. I couldn't see one man carrying all of these blades at once, unless he was meaning to outfit other individuals with weaponry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom