• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Im waiting on my M&P9c to come through and while at GC today, Dan suggested an APEX kit. I've never heard of them but he said he installs them. I read reviews and such on the internet but cant find any website/place to buy them. Do any of you have experience with it? or Can any of you tell me where to buy it? Thanks

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Got off the phone with the people from Apex tactical. There website was down. Anyone have a trigger job done with their M&P?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The guy who runs Apex is well known on SIGForum, his name is Randy Lee. I have been told he is a master at working on S&W & Ruger revolvers.

I think some folks her have installed the M&P kits and had success. I bought M&P Pro, my trigger is good from the factory.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    When they get their website running again, buy it. It makes a huge difference. You can do it yourself too...Randy has step by step videos on youtube.

I went with just the hard sear and the striker block (no new springs), and the pull is very light (estimating 3.5-4 lbs), but still well defined. The springs in the carry kit bring it closer to 4-5 lbs I think. There is a long take up for the first shot (I think it can be taken care of if you don't like it), but from there, it's a short and noticeable reset and follow-up shots are quick and smooth.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    i have 2 of them, one on my mp9 and the other on my mp40. Love them both, make the trigger 100 times better, no more crunchy feeling when you pull the trigger. Still alot of uptake but i don't mind it. I recommend anyone with a m&p to get these triggers.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Thanks for the replies. Im gonna order the sear and striker block as soon as the website is up and running. Saw the videos on you tube. Looks simple enough to do by myself

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Looks basically like a "burwell cut" sear and safety button, relatively easy to drop in, but it is something a skilled and knowledgeable person can do with the factory parts and some basic tools. I did both of my M&Ps myself, with good results, a couple MDshooters have tried them out at shoots or matches, and were impressed. Radiusing and polishing the safety button, and polishing the tab that contacts it on the trigger bar will remove the grit, and bump you feel during the trigger pull. Shaping the tab on the side of the sear makes it break closer to the factory trigger stop, and changing the angle of the sear changes engagement and creep. I also molded on an extension to the overtravel stop to shorten overtravel and reset. I also square and polish the face of the striker tab to clean up the break, and lighten the pull a hair without changing springs, or reducing the engagement angle. That is where I stopped on my compact, and it made a smooth pull, shorter reset, crisper break, I left the engagement depth alone, so it has a bit of creep, and runs about 5#, but is durable and reliable, good for a carry gun.

On my pro, I polished everything, went a little further in polishing the safety button, and beveling the ramp on the trigger bar slightly to make reset more positive. I reduced the weight of the factory safety button spring, cleaned up the striker channel, polished the breech face, fit a stainless match barrel to it, lapped it, and polished the ramp, installed taller adjustable sights, did a little work shaping, polishing, and tuning the extractor, and reduced the sear engagement angle slightly. It has been dead reliable, and has a marvel of a trigger, 2# takeup, 3# break with a very short and crisp break and reset, and is a bit more accurate at longer ranges. It does well in IDPA and steel matches, and I tested it thourougly to make sure the safeties work properly, and they do, and it feeds and functions perfectly with very light loads, either 124gr FMJ RN at 1025FPS, or plated flat point 147gr at 875FPS, just enough to make power factor, it is the easiest pistol to shoot fast that I own.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I believe you need to remove the sights to install the striker block. Just wanted you to know what you're getting into.

yes, the rear sight needs to come off to remove the safety button and radius or replace it, the spring is on top of the button, an can be swapped with a wolff reduced power spring if desired, or the factory sprng can be modified, it reduces the bump you feel as the trigger bar slides onto it, and smooths the pull more than a radiused button on it's own. To reinstall use a dab of grease to hold the spring and small cover in place, and hold the cover down with a small punch or pick as you press the sight back in place, marking the position before it comes off can help line it up, and bring the sight tool to the range with you to adjust windage if needed. It does leave less tension for the striker button to snap into place, and could potentially reduce the effectiveness of the safety operation, mine works fine, but your results may vary. For this reason, a gun intended for defensive use or carry should not have any modifications that may reduce the effectiveness of safeties.

donliv

Oct 25, 2008
    Bel Air
    Is he still accepting work? I have emailed him several times with no reply :confused:

Same here. I had a brief email exchange with him around the first of the year about Jen's M&P9, but when i tried to schedule a time with him to send it, i never heard back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom