Anyone see "Doomsday Preppers" on NGEO channel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustkim1

Jan 8, 2012
    My favorite part of the show was when the L.A. Chick said "I'm eating the fish raw because cooking it reduces the nutrients" while the lower-third said "Cooking fish does NOT reduce the nutrients, however it does kill the parasites"

Made me :lol2:

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    What I thought was goofy was all the preppers seemed to have one specific scenario in mind as the motive for their prepping (or it least it was presented that way). One guy was convinced the magnetic poles were going to shift, someone else thought there was going to be a massive rupture along the New Madrid fault line. It just sort of made everybody look a little crazy.

It might have been cool just to see some folks who prepare for whatever - earthquakes, economic collapse/ upheaval, hurricanes. There's many reasons to be prepared. Hell I can't believe everyone has to run out and buy TP every time it snows. (really!?!?! you don't have a week's worth of TP on hand?!!?! WTF)

One thing that did resonate with me is the guy who mentioned that the supplies he is storing today are like an investment. The way food prices are rising it's almost like putting money in a tax free savings account.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    What I thought was goofy was all the preppers seemed to have one specific scenario in mind as the motive for their prepping (or it least it was presented that way). One guy was convinced the magnetic poles were going to shift, someone else thought there was going to be a massive rupture along the New Madrid fault line. It just sort of made everybody look a little crazy.

It might have been cool just to see some folks who prepare for whatever - earthquakes, economic collapse/ upheaval, hurricanes. There's many reasons to be prepared. Hell I can't believe everyone has to run out and buy TP every time it snows. (really!?!?! you don't have a week's worth of TP on hand?!!?! WTF)

One thing that did resonate with me is the guy who mentioned that the supplies he is storing today are like an investment. The way food prices are rising it's almost like putting money in a tax free savings account.

I assure you that what they were preparing for was totally scripted by Nat Geo writers....

Anyone who puts that much of their life into prepping like that is preparing for EVERYTHING, not just one thing.

But reality tv can't actually be about reality :sad20:

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    I assure you that what they were preparing for was totally scripted by Nat Geo writers....

This!

If they say they're prepping for one specific thing then it is easier for NatGeo to say "the probability of this crazy scenario happening is less than one tenth of one percent". Its a way to make them look crazy.

In reality, they are preparing for whatever may happen because you don't get to choose your disaster.

You think having six months of food is crazy? If you lose your job then being able to eat for six months for free would be huge for your finances.

You think growing your own food and raising animals is crazy? Have you looked at studies of food price inflation? Growing your own and raising your own meat means you have a steady, continual supply of food that you know was grown/raised in a fashion you want (no herbicides, no hormones, etc).

Preparedness isn't about paranoia or fear, it is about living a better, more independent life now, even if the S never hits the F.

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    You think growing your own food and raising animals is crazy?

Exactly. Anyone remember Victory Gardens?

There is nothing wrong with being as self sufficient as possible. Our current culture has bred folks to rely on someone else to take care of them in a crisis. People need to take some personal responsibility and stand on their own two feet.

This show is nothing more than the usual "reality" TV garbage. It is not meant to educate; only to entertain the masses. :tdown:

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo

There is nothing wrong with being as self sufficient as possible. Our current culture has bred folks to rely on someone else to take care of them in a crisis. People need to take some personal responsibility and stand on their own two feet.

This show is nothing more than the usual "reality" TV garbage. It is not meant to educate; only to entertain the masses. :tdown:

^^ Because preppers without guns aren't preppers, they are hippies.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina

Bravo!! Well done. :thumbsup:

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    Did you see the episode where the guy who invented to Crovel (I want one btw) shot his left thumb off. I'm not sure how he was able to get his thumb in front of the barrel.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Did you see the episode where the guy who invented to Crovel (I want one btw) shot his left thumb off. I'm not sure how he was able to get his thumb in front of the barrel.

He said "I had one of those malfunctions where your thumb ends up in front of the barrel".

I wanted a Crovel as well...until I saw it was a few hundred dollars

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    I say we get a group order together to bring down the price! Get the Crovel Extreme with the Z spike.

He said "I had one of those malfunctions where your thumb ends up in front of the barrel".

I wanted a Crovel as well...until I saw it was a few hundred dollars

Feb 11, 2012
    Eden, MD
    Have you noticed at the end of each scenario how the narators state that the situation they are preparing for whether it be emps, economic failure, oil crisis or what ever that the situation is unlikely to occur. Well economic failure has already started. You can not say an EMP wont eventually occur whether from the sun or another countries assault. Wonder if the government came up with idea of the show to make all preppers look like idiots.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    The reality is this: Unless you can reproduce and raise and protect your family, you are disposable when it goes to hell. I will be expendable, and that's just fine with me.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The reality is this: Unless you can reproduce and raise and protect your family, you are disposable when it goes to hell. I will be expendable, and that's just fine with me.

The Amish will have it made...

There maybe short term unrest like say Katrina where things get "iffy" but in a full blown it's coming to an end situation I agree...99% of us arent making it no matter what you have stock piled.

Feb 11, 2012
    Eden, MD
    The Amish will have it made...

There maybe short term unrest like say Katrina where things get "iffy" but in a full blown it's coming to an end situation I agree...99% of us arent making it no matter what you have stock piled.

Your absolutely right the Amish will survive because they have been doing it all along and their since community if an awesome thing. They help each other out which is something we have lost sight of.

Dec 6, 2011
    I laughed until I cried and then I laughed some more. It was the best three hours I had this week. The safest people handling firearms were the kids under 12.

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    Your absolutely right the Amish will survive because they have been doing it all along and their since community if an awesome thing. They help each other out which is something we have lost sight of.

The amish won't last a week. They are pacifists and will refuse to protect what they have. The golden horde will wipe them out.

Its a shame because that would be a great foundation for the re-birth of society

EDIT: Thought more about this. They stand a good chance in an Argentina style inflation scenario (25% annual inflation) since they don't rely on buying a lot of things. They would have to increase the costs of their handmade furniture though :(.

Last edited:

mom

Mar 1, 2012
    Harford County
    I belong to a "preparedness" forum that one of the folks on the show belongs to. According to her NatGeo only allowed them to site one reason for prepping. And they preferred to not to share information about their weapons. There have been interviews with several of the preppers online. Almost all of them have said NatGeo did a lot of creative editing to get the end result they wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQD4DuK81k&feature=player_embedded#!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbey...xhole-atheist-doomsday-prepper-megan-hurwitt/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom