Anyone here have a small towable utility trailer, the kind they sell at the big box stores?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I'm thinking about buying a small, inexpensive, utility trailer for picking stuff up at stores and garden centers on occasion; drywall, lumber, plants, mulch, etc., as well as taking trash and yard waste to the dump.

I've searched the Maryland MDOT site and could not find any info on the requirements or procedure for registering these types of trailers.

Since I'm still thinking about it, I'm wondering what it would take to register a new trailer, used trailer, trailer without title, trailer that I buy and modify, such as adding a side wall, etc. I'd like to know what I need in terms of inspections, registration costs, whether the trailer needs to have a VIN, etc.

Can anyone here shed some light and possibly even recommend models? I need something that can carry 4X8 sheets of drywall and can be towed with a standard sedan like a Toyota Camry. Right now I'm thinking a galvanized 5'x8' with or without walls that are available at Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

I'm not interested in buying an SUV or a truck.

Thanks in advance for any help with this and I hope everyone has a great weekend!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I used to have a 4'x8' trailer I bought at Harbor Freight...assemble it yourself. I used some 2"x4" uprights and composition for the flooring and side slats. For twenty years it did everything I needed. It had a GVWR of 980 lbs. which I think I may have overloaded a few times. When we relocated I gave to to the guy who mowed my lawn every week.

Buy it...assemble it...take it to a state inspector then register and tag it. Not a tough or expensive process at all. The trailer itself (twenty years ago) was $249...a bit more now. That's plus the stuff needed to to the box.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I bought one from Tractor Supply several years ago on sale for about $700. They give you a manufactures certificate that you take to DMV to get your tag and title. A used one you will have to get inspected then go to DMV. Without a title go to DMV and get paperwork for a homebuilt, have it inspected and they give you a VIN number to attach to your trailer. Not sure how much a Camry can tow but check on that first or just go and spend $70,000 on a truck:)

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    I got mine at the Trailer Super store up I83 in PA. I called tons of places in MD and they had by far the best prices. I went with the Big Tex brand.
    3C7CB166-5BF7-40D2-914D-BE902732F599.jpeg

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Wow, thanks for all the excellent feedback!

I had no idea I could register it in a state other than where I'd be using it! I'll definitely look into that!

I have to verify the cost for an inspection, but I've yet to see a decent used one for a good price. I think a new one with the papers to take to the MVA, with no inspections, may be the ticket.

Holly Cow, the Harbor Freight trailer appreciated almost as much as an FAL kit in 20 years! I didn't search Harbor Freight, but will check them out. I was thinking more along the lines of a galvanized or aluminized for the sake of durability, even though I plan to keep it in the garage or shed.

Thanks for the info on Trailer Super Store!

When you buy one built, do you get a temporary tag to haul it home?

According to the manual, my Camry should be able to tow 2000lbs (trailer and load) with 900lbs inside the vehicle. If the wife stays, I should be good to go...:)

A safe weekend to all on the right!

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Daves

Check their prices. Easy.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I've never been sorry in my entire life for purchasing a quality anything.. I have been sorry too many time trying to save a few dollars only to repurchase later.

You will not find a quality trailer at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.. and the time will come where you wished you good purchased one the first time..

Pick up a quality 7x10 (or 7x12) 3500lb trailer from Sure Trac, etc...

good luck...

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I bought one from Tractor Supply several years ago on sale for about $700. They give you a manufactures certificate that you take to DMV to get your tag and title. A used one you will have to get inspected then go to DMV. Without a title go to DMV and get paperwork for a homebuilt, have it inspected and they give you a VIN number to attach to your trailer. Not sure how much a Camry can tow but check on that first or just go and spend $70,000 on a truck:)
    Also, be aware that not every inspection station will do trailers. That said, some who won't do larger trailers with brakes will still do small utility trailers.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Holly Cow, the Harbor Freight trailer appreciated almost as much as an FAL kit in 20 years! I didn't search Harbor Freight, but will check them out.

I have a 20+ year old $250 Harbor Freight trailer also. I believe GVWR was listed as 1750. It has held up pretty well considering the abuse it has taken, including ~22 years of sitting outside in rain, snow, and sun. If you keep it inside it would probably last you 30+.

They also fold up so they can store against the wall and have castors you can roll them around on while folded.

FYI it will have to be inspected also, not just the used ones, which basically consists of making sure the lights work and there are no loose parts to fall off.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Daves

Check their prices. Easy.
    I'm a fan of Dave's. Last trailer I bought, I bought used. But several years later, lights had a problem that I couldn't diagnose myself. Dave's rewired my e tire trailer for like $125 counting a new pigtail harness and several connectors. I have also had a truck wiring issue serviced a number of years back. It was also relatively cheap despite re running wiring. That truck needed to have wiring replaced for a 7 pole RV socket.

If I was buying new, that's where I would go

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    I've never been sorry in my entire life for purchasing a quality anything.. I have been sorry too many time trying to save a few dollars only to repurchase later.

You will not find a quality trailer at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.. and the time will come where you wished you good purchased one the first time..

Pick up a quality 7x10 (or 7x12) 3500lb trailer from Sure Trac, etc...

good luck...

He's towing with a Camry. A trailer like that would use up the car's entire towing "capacity" when empty.

Honestly, OP, I'd just occasionally rent the HD flatbed truck for 20 bucks for 75 min when needed if I was you.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    He's towing with a Camry. A trailer like that would use up the car's entire towing "capacity" when empty.

Honestly, OP, I'd just occasionally rent the HD flatbed truck for 20 bucks for 75 min when needed if I was you.
    Damn. Don't know how I missed that. (Well, actually I do....simply read over it so fast I missed the bottom)You are correct. I would agree with you. I, personally, have a heavier duty trailer that is 3000 lb GVWR. That allows me to haul a yard or move of mulch or topsoil as well as most home improvement materials. But I also have a short bed F150 to pull it with.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I havve a 4x8 lowes trailer. I registered it in Maine just like all my other trailers. I used the crap out of it. I still use it for hauling firewood. I have way way overloaded it. It doesnt care just keeps going. It spends alot of time off road behind my jeep now in the woods cutting down firewood.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Registering a small trailer in Maine isn’t worth. Tags in Md are 25 bucks a year. And technically to be legal you have to have 1 md tagged trailer for each tow vehicle. And then there is the fact that Maine doesn’t do titles on small trailers so you have to work around that if you want to sell it at some point.

I bought a 5x8 at the TSC in Westminster. I drove down the street, registered at the mva, drove back to tsc, put tags in and went home. That was 21 years ago and I finally did bearing las year in it. That trailer has been worth every penny.

I bought a 7.5x14 from Dave’s. They do the registration there. They were great to deal with. Only issue with them is many of their trailers are off stored elsewhere so you can’t really browse. But if you know what you want they’ll have it ready for you in no time.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    My 3500lb 7x10 quality trailer weighs 1000lbs empty. He's got an additional 1000lbs+ of capacity.... and a trailer to use now and potentially grow into in the future....

Trailers are not unlike gun safes, determine what you need now and multiply by 3 (or 10 LOL).

Last edited:

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    That Trailer Superstore has acres and acres of all types of trailers and many brands. Big Tex is a very good brand. It was easy peezy. I wrote a check. They put a temporary PA tag on it. They gave me the paperwork. I took it to Fred’s tag and title service rather than travel to MVA. No inspection was required. Towing vehicle’s insurance automatically covers trailer. New MD plates with stickers came in the mail in a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom