• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I am reading Stephen Hunters "Master Sniper" and I read that the German Sniper was using a Mannlicher Schönauer and my little C&R gears got a turning.
    I know of the Steyr Mannlicher, but had not heard of the Mannlicher Schönauer. Seems like a pretty cool rifle and round. Evidentally they were popular for hunting in Africa as well.
    Anyone here have one or have seen them around. I'd do a gunbroker search but they block them at work...:sad20:

Here's the wiki page about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannlicher-Sch%C3%B6nauer

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    All I found on GB was one in .270 starting at $1475.00

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room

Attachments

• main319_png_637x200_q85.png
      main319_png_637x200_q85.png
      13.9 KB · Views: 216

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Very smooth action. The military rifles were widely used in Greece and throughout the Balkans. I believe the Dutch used them too. The rotary magazine made for particularly smooth feeding- Bill Ruger stole the idea for the rotary magazine in his 10-22.

Bolt handle is awkwardly placed, though (too far forward.) The sporters are beautiful, but are usually chambered for very expensive European cartridges not available at Wal Mart.

-------------- By the way, Mannlicher is pronounced something like MAHN-lihher, with the "hh" like the "Hu" in "Hugo". The "a" is broad and long. In other words, it sounds nothing like "man licker", you little perv.

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    I have a Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1950 in '30-06. Belonged to my Old Man's best friend, Alfred. I used to stand in front of Alfred's gun cabinet when I was a kid and just drool over that gun. When Alfred died, my Old Man bought it from Alfred's widow. A year later the Old Man sold it to me.

Yes, I still drool over it :)

The action is so smooth that I can pull the bolt fully to the rear, squeeze the trigger while tipping the gun forward, and the bolt will glide home and snap shut. Unbelievable quality and hand workmanship.

Only pics I have of her. I can take more if you're interested.

LeftSideM1950.jpg

RtSideM1950.jpg

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I have a Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1950 in '30-06. Belonged to my Old Man's best friend, Alfred. I used to stand in front of Alfred's gun cabinet when I was a kid and just drool over that gun. When Alfred died, my Old Man bought it from Alfred's widow. A year later the Old Man sold it to me.

The action is so smooth that I can pull the bolt fully to the rear, squeeze the trigger while tipping the gun forward, and the bolt will glide home and snap shut. Unbelievable quality and hand workmanship.

LeftSideM1950.jpg

RtSideM1950.jpg

That is one sweet looking rifle. What kind of groupings do you get with it?

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    That is one sweet looking rifle. What kind of groupings do you get with it?

Don't know about grouping - I've never shot it thanks to my Old Man scaring me about possibly cracking the stock. His friend Alfred kept his house dry as a bone, including his gun cabinet. Old Man told me he'd be afraid that the stock had dried out too much and would break at the wrist with full power ammo. I'm at the point now where I'm almost willing to take my chances - maybe next trip to Marriottsville :o

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Don't know about grouping - I've never shot it thanks to my Old Man scaring me about possibly cracking the stock. His friend Alfred kept his house dry as a bone, including his gun cabinet. Old Man told me he'd be afraid that the stock had dried out too much and would break at the wrist with full power ammo. I'm at the point now where I'm almost willing to take my chances - maybe next trip to Marriottsville :o

Remington makes "Managed Recoil" in .30-06. I use the .308 "managed recoil" in my Ishapore Enfield because of the arguement if it can take full power ammo or not just to be on the safe side.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room

Simply beautifull :thumbsup:
    I am very jealous ;)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That really is a beautiful design. It is good to know that the workmanship matches the looks. I will have to keep an eye out for one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom