Anyone have a guy come to your door asking about your BGE bill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spoon

Oct 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    Constellation Energy stopped by my house one day same thing a few months ago. Seemed legit, we switched, no problems so far. Cheaper bill, still comes from BGE.

This seems to be what I've gathered from my readings. They're competitors for gas (and/or electric). Confident in what they're saying is true. They're wanting to switch you over to their supply while BGE remains the provider and distributor of it. Since my apartment we only pay a small amount of gas and electric (heat and hot water are included) there's not much sense in switching over.

I'm smarter than my roommate so instead of engaging them in a lenghthy conversation I just tell them I'm not in charge of that particular bill and no he's not home to talk. I've had a few different companies try to come to the door and ask about it... sometimes they're male... white/black younger/older sometimes they're women.

Pretty sure no one wants any identities considering the block I live on is dirt poor and filled with section 8 people. Couldn't open a pay day loan in our names let alone get a real loan...

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I still answer the door with a sidearm on my hip in PLAIN sight and ask "is there something I could help you with?"..... usually they back up a few steps and say "have a nice day, sorry to bother you".

Schwall

Nov 29, 2010
    Annapolis
    It's a competitor trying to get you to buy power from them. We've had several of these guys stop by the building I run. If you listen carefully they never say that they work FOR BGE, they say they are working WITH BGE and want a copy of the bill to "make sure you are getting the discount you deserve".

It's not necessarily a scam, just very shady. Any reputable 3rd party supplier will let you know exactly who they are up front. I personally like stringing the bastards along and make them think they are on the verge of landing a big commercial account for as long as I can. If they are going to waste my time with their BS, I'm going to waste as much of theirs as possible.

Last edited:

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    A young guy came to my door last year and identified himself as an employee from Constellation Energy. He had plenty of materials and ID to back it up. I felt he was legit. I didn't let him in my house though. I never do that. We spoke on my front steps. He was offering fixed rates for electricity and gas. We compared bills and I realized that we could save a lot of money on electricity. I made the switch and have been very happy. Constellation Energy even sent us a $50 gift card for signing up. We now have a low fixed rate on electric and it's still billed through BG&E.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've had this happen a couple times with different people and all claiming to be different people, and they all seemed to be suspicious. The first time it was a pair of black men dressed shabbily asking for my electric bill and I told them to screw off, the second time was some guy that looked official and had a clipboard and everything but would not give me any identification when asked and first told me his name was ned, and then when I asked again he still said his name was ned, but he had to think about it for a second. The third time the conversation was through a cracked door with my foot keeping the door closed, and ever since that second time I keep a Makarov in the drawer of my bureau by the door just in case with one in the chamber, decocked, and ready for a double action trigger pull.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Same thing happened a few weeks ago at my house. My wife and I were leaving and heard someone walking up our drive. Something about saving on our electric bill. When I asked for ID he didn't have any. That is when I got a little worried that he was up to no good. Thinking quickly I told him it was a good thing we caught him before we left as my brother in law is in the house and just got back from Afghanistan. He is still feeling a little skittish about people and probably would have had a bad encounter with him. Needless to say the guy took off and promised not to spend anymore time on my street.

pilgrim

PEPCO has legit sub contractors out trying to do an energy saving program. Just took a photo or the car tag and people then asked why I should not call the police. They presented a PEPCO contractor ID. Said folks called the police on them before, then went on knocking on doors.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Are there any laws to answering the door "Jed Clampet style"?
    Late at night my cousin would answer the door w/ his shotgun back in "another state" we'll say. Never got a complaint.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    A young guy came to my door last year and identified himself as an employee from Constellation Energy. He had plenty of materials and ID to back it up. I felt he was legit. I didn't let him in my house though. I never do that. We spoke on my front steps. He was offering fixed rates for electricity and gas. We compared bills and I realized that we could save a lot of money on electricity. I made the switch and have been very happy. Constellation Energy even sent us a $50 gift card for signing up. We now have a low fixed rate on electric and it's still billed through BG&E.

Same here, I started to feel foolish at the start of this thread, now I just feel dumb. Is that an improvement ?

dmd_hunter

Dec 24, 2012
    A friend at work said the BGE people came to his house the other day with the same scheme of trying to save you money next year. He called BGE and they also informed him that they would not do this. Seems like a scam that has been around for a while.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Well of all days since i didnt get to go down to annapolis ..so not a good day to show up at my house ..

I had one show up today again .. I asked who he worked for and he said BG&E for which i said i am not interested and go away . Called BG&E and they said they did not have anyone in the area and it was a third party . I called my property manager and asked her about in which she said we do have a no solicitting signs up . So I called AA cnty to report this and while on the phone with the dispatacher i had another one knock on my door . Well I told him to leave twice and the dispatcher heard all this . She said close the door and asked if i wanted an officer to come out and I said yes. Seemed like forever until they showed up but once they did they apologized and said they had caught them at the entrance to our area and had a long chat with them while also givingthem traffic citations. ( I giggled) I told them I am sorry for dragging them away for more important things but I had enough of thse people . The Officer had said they have had dealings with these groups before and add some signs to my property and if they come back and my signs are easy to see he will arrest them :)

SO big shout out ot AA cnty guys they were fun to chat with and very professional and I hope these people do not show up again .

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    In the last 2 weeks I had 2 visits to the door and 1 phone call, all trying to save me money by switching over to there electric provider. It is legit in that they really are working for a power vendor, but annoying. I checked into the rate difference and while it beats BGE for now, in May the rates change and BGE will be cheaper. So I don't trust any of them and just run them off. I really don't think they are casing your house though.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    This was someone casing you for a burglary, checking for dogs, people in the house, valuables in sight, etc. Companies make offers via email and snail mail , By phone offer-- NOT door to door. Had BGE scam tried on me, recognized fake badge immediately asked him to leave

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    This was someone casing you for a burglary, checking for dogs, people in the house, valuables in sight, etc. Companies make offers via email and snail mail , By phone offer-- NOT door to door. Had BGE scam tried on me, recognized fake badge immediately asked him to leave

Really, I don't know. They did have cheesy badges on you are right. They also had the same letter that I received in the mail last year this time, about saving money by changing power providers. One of the two (who were both young guys) went to the local High School and lived in the area.
    Then add the fact that their sales attempts were backed up with a phone call
    from a company with the same toll free number, all seems too complex to be a plot. I think these companies hire people on commission to go around and try to sell their plan, because they know e-mails and snail mails go right into the trash.
    I get the same type of people coming around selling lawn care service every year too, I don't think they are "casing" the place,and at the same time working Annapolis as well (20 miles away) that would be a big "Gang" but you could be right.The reason BGE doesn't know them is they AREN'T BGE. They are competitors of BGE, and BGE wants to keep selling you power.
    If they are up to no good, they are going through a lot of trouble to get into my humble abode !

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There is NO reason to ever conduct business with ANYONE who who ever approaches you for any reason. If what they are selling is interesting take info and work backwards thru legit websites or phone lines that are widely advertised.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I've sent at least 4 sets of these people away the last plaid on Friday I came home sick and was just getting somewhat comfortable when a knock on the door set the dogs to barking not pleased I whipped open the door, and through the storm door gave them a not so friendly look and waved them bye bye, they were brighter than they looked and left post haste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom