• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    I just saw a FNH FNS 9mm and .40cal pistol yesterday. It is light weight and fit my hand like a glove. I would like to add it to my collection. But I never been around them or have any knowledge about them. I've read the home web site and see that there are different models. Can anyone tell me if these are quality guns? I'm not in to the 9mm verses the .40cal debate.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/handguns/fns-series/

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    I just saw a FNH FNS 9mm and .40cal pistol yesterday. It is light weight and fit my hand like a glove. I would like to add it to my collection. But I never been around them or have any knowledge about them. I've read the home web site and see that there are different models. Can anyone tell me if these are quality guns? I'm not in to the 9mm verses the .40cal debate.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/handguns/fns-series/

Basically it was supposed to be an upgrade/striker fired version of the FNP series of pistols by FN. I personally did not like the feel of the the FNS nor did I like the feel of the FNX as well . FN Makes quality guns and as a brand I could not say anything bad about them . To me I found the checkering on their newer pistols to be a bit excessive for me . I love my FNP 40 outside of a heavy trigger ( a good thing for a defensive pistol ) and a little bit of recoil being felt in the trigger it goes bang every time .

If you are in the Frederick /southern baltimore area I would have no problems setting up some trigger time if you want.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    I have a FNS in .40 and like it a lot. I only have a few hundred rounds through it but I am glad that I bought it (thanks again 2A for the recommendation). I agree that the checkering on the grip is on the rough side -- but not a big issue.

Arel11

Aug 7, 2012
    I'll have an fns40ls in a few months, but I shot the regular fns40 and I liked it. Had a great trigger.

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    Like mentioned before I've never been around the FNH products. When I held the FNS9 and 40 I fell in love with them. What is the difference between the FNS and the FN-LS?

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I just got the FNX 9 and 45. Haven't been able to shoot them yet but I love my five seven. If they are half as good I'll love them too. I think you'll love it (get both).

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    Ahhhhhh......... Guess I could give one to the wife! From the response it looks as if there are no current issue. Well, tomorrow is Monday. Guess I had better get one. Here locally ACE hardware has them for $360 plus tax.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Anyone who own both a FNS and a G19/23 do me a favor and take some pictures of them over lapping?

I'm trying to see how much larger the FNS is compared to the compact line of Glocks. With a main focus on how much longer the grip is.

Thanks.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Initial impressions. Going to run 750 rounds thru it tonight and tomorrow night.

I'll be honest - I'd never given FN any serious consideration, and had considered them to be a second tier handgun maker, at best.

Things began to change when I was reading the excellent review published by esteemed shooter Ernest Langdon on Pistol-Forum regarding his (favorable) impressions of the FNS. Ernest is a world class shooter and instructor, and when he speaks, shooters should listen.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11515-FNH-FNS9-Two-Weeks-and-2-265-rounds

I was so impressed with his favorable findings with the FNS I opted to take a chance and placed an order with Texas retailer Grabagun. To my surprise, the price point for this pistol (sans manual safety, of course) was only $451.02, and shipping to my FFL in Virginia was only $5.99. The pistol was purchased on Monday, and in my hands on Thursday. By any metric, that's excellent.

Upon taking delivery of the handgun, a cursory overview immediately yielded positive impressions. The pistol was nicely packaged in a study plastic clam shell case, and a comprehensive owner’s manual, fired shell casing and cable lock were included inside of the box. Also included were three 17 round steel magazines, which is a nice touch and an excellent value.

The sights are also steel, and appear to be useable and of high quality. Speaking of quality, the barrels on the FNS pistols are cold hammer forged, a process which extends service life and contributes to better mechanical accuracy. We'll see.

Lockup of the slide to barrel is very tight, rivaling the Gen 4 Glock series, which should also contribute to accuracy potential.

The trigger is worth examining in detail. Being a striker fired design, the FNS's trigger can be described as having little initial take-up prior to hitting the "wall", meaning that discharge is imminent. This trigger has noticeably less take-up than a Glock or M&P trigger, but a seasoned shooter should acclimate to it quickly. Pressing the trigger to the rear, one notices that the FN's trigger has a pleasant rolling break, which some shooters find to be desirable (myself included). I have every confidence that with use, the trigger press weight will smooth out.

The frame features an ambidextrous slide stop and magazine release, the latter causing some shooters a modicum of difficulty, since it can be actuated by the inadvertent application of pressure by the dominant firing hand. Doing so can jettison a magazine at an inopportune moment or, if trying to release a magazine in a conventional manner, cause the magazine to bind up in the well. Neither is a desirable outcome, and this should be addressed by FN. This feature has not caused me problems while practicing mag changes at the house with a dry gun, but I am going to reserve judgment until mag changes are done on a hot range and under a time hack.

The magazine well is cavernous, and tapered on both sides of the well, which no doubt aids insertion of a fresh magazine under stress. FN did their homework on this one. The pistol also included interchangeable back straps, but this is a more or less superfluous feature for me, as the one included on the pistol fit my hand just fine.

I have high hopes for this pistol, and have a Dark Star AIWB holster and three additional 17 round magazines inbound as I write this.

The FNS has been available on the commercial market for a little over two years, and has seen limited commercial success, with only the Baltimore County in Maryland and the Columbia, South Carolina Police Departments adopting the FNS.

The FNS has a lot of potential, and I plan to put it thru its paces very soon on the range.

Stay tuned for the 2000 round challenge!

Last edited:

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Fired 400 rounds this evening from the FNS-9 at the NRA Range. The pistol was lubricated with Fireclean prior to the commencement of the range session, and is still wet.

Overall I give the pistol high marks.

The good:

* The pistol was 100% reliable with 350 rounds of CCI Blazer 115 grain FMJ and 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P.

* It was very controllable during rapid fire strings, and reliability was 100%. I did not experience any unexpected magazine ejections, which was my greatest fear for the inaugural range trip.

* The cavernous magazine well made mag changes a snap.

* The pistol exhibited excellent accuracy under 20 yards.

The bad:

* The sights are simply too large to be of any use past 20 yards, and attempting to fire a 10 round group at 25 yards on a repair center was an exercise in futility. The regulation of the stock sights was wonky as well, forcing me to use a 12 o'clock hold at 25 to get any hits in the black. That's not going to work.

* The takedown lever on the left side of the weapon gets HOT, making one think carefully about thumb placement during extended firing sessions. This was also a problem with the M&P.

I'm currently shopping for replacement sights, and giving the Sevigny Performance sights serious consideration (125” wide rear notch with a .115” wide x .220” tall front sight)

As I'm participating in the 2000 round challenge, the pistol will not be cleaned or lubricated until that milestone is reached.

Stay tuned.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Interesting about the sights - I too dislike the sights for any longer range shooting.
    They are just too big.

On the other hand, I really like the CZ82 sights.

Since the FNS 9 doubles as an HD
    handgun, I'm not too concerned about the sights. Maybe worth a look, though, to
    see what's available.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    FNH makes the M240 and M249 SAW for the DOD, I am looking at the FNX 45 soon, and been eyeing the SCAR 17s by FNH...Again if it fits good and YOU are comfortable with it go for it...

Bought FNH FNX-45 in FDE, fired about 200 rds thru it so far no complaints fits my large paws fine, thats why I bought it...anything other than a full size pistol feels uncomfortable in my hand...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom