Anyone have a coyote hotspot in Frederick?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    You kill a nice one, bring em all to me LOL. I LOVE dead coyotes. They killed off or chased out the red foxes, and I'm hearing of farms here in Harford that have no foxes, only coyotes running around- enough that they are seen and sometimes heard. If only I could get on a few of them, but I still don't know anyone. In balto county I almost had one in a trap the first night set, but it stepped 1 inch from the edge of the trap pan. As Get Smart always said " I missed it by thaaaat much!".

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    I've seen them in Blue Mash and Rachel Carson parks. Obviously can't hunt them there, but it's a point of reference for their range.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Only repeating what I had been told from a credible source (so I thought) who spoke with DNR.
    That was the only source of info on the subject I had.

I since have been educated:
    http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/hunt_trap/furbearers/coyote.asp

You are also NOT totally wrong. They were brought into MD. by DNR a few years ago with that intention. Yes, there were already some here, but this added to the population. A friend of mine shot one on his farm in Laytonsville and it had an ear tag with an 800 number. He called the number and talked to the gentleman there who informed him that DNR paid him to trap and ship them to MD. When he called DNR they denied it. So who's telling the truth? The guy out west or the DNR? I saw the ear tag so I know it was there. I did not personally hear the conversation, but I have known this farmer for years and trust him. This is ONE incident.

Doesn't anyone think it is strange that the Coyote population soared in the last 5 years???? There are PACKS were there were NONE before. I'll go with my friends story over the DNR.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Its hard not to get rid of them when there fur is bringing 78+ at auction and a fox is 20 tops

Way back about 50 years ago my dad got a new dog for the family. It was a GSD/Coyote mix, mother was a GSD and the father was a fence jumper, and it was the best dog we ever had. This dog was trained, protective of its pack/family and extremely loyal.

I don't understand why people want to kill dogs.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    You are also NOT totally wrong. They were brought into MD. by DNR a few years ago with that intention. Yes, there were already some here, but this added to the population. A friend of mine shot one on his farm in Laytonsville and it had an ear tag with an 800 number. He called the number and talked to the gentleman there who informed him that DNR paid him to trap and ship them to MD. When he called DNR they denied it. So who's telling the truth? The guy out west or the DNR? I saw the ear tag so I know it was there. I did not personally hear the conversation, but I have known this farmer for years and trust him. This is ONE incident.

Doesn't anyone think it is strange that the Coyote population soared in the last 5 years???? There are PACKS were there were NONE before. I'll go with my friends story over the DNR.

I call foul on this one.

#1 - why would the trapper put an ear tag on a coyote?

#2 - why, seeing said ear tag on the coyote would the DNR allow the ear tag to remain?

Serves no purpose.

It MAY have been part of a study, to see how far they range... but I highly doubt that DNR would reintroduce coyotes... it serves no purpose.

People are seeing more coyotes for several reasons, not the least of which is the range and increasing encroachment by man via the subdivisions.

Many many moons ago, was involved in NYSDEC and SUNYESF attempt to reintroduct the Lynx into the Adks.... failed miserably, partially due to coyotes and to the roadways. That reintroduction, was highly publicized and had to go through several "town meetings" between all parties involved and those opposed to it.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I call foul on this one.

#1 - why would the trapper put an ear tag on a coyote?

#2 - why, seeing said ear tag on the coyote would the DNR allow the ear tag to remain?

Serves no purpose.

It MAY have been part of a study, to see how far they range... but I highly doubt that DNR would reintroduce coyotes... it serves no purpose.

People are seeing more coyotes for several reasons, not the least of which is the range and increasing encroachment by man via the subdivisions.

Many many moons ago, was involved in NYSDEC and SUNYESF attempt to reintroduct the Lynx into the Adks.... failed miserably, partially due to coyotes and to the roadways. That reintroduction, was highly publicized and had to go through several "town meetings" between all parties involved and those opposed to it.

I can only tell you what I saw and what I was told by someone I have known for over 30 years that has no reason to lie. I also don't always believe that what the official DNR statement might be to be the truth either.

I'm not saying that you are entirely wrong. It just seems very coincidental that the coyote population suddenly skyrocketed in certain areas at the same time these events happened. Just sayin'.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Where do people park in Frederick municipal forest (watershed)? I can't go off-road; don't mind walking a couple miles.

Get off on the rosemont ave exit and take it straight which will turn into yellow spring which will turn into (I cant think of it). Just stay straight and you will see a parking lot (type thing) on the left. It is where the blue blaze trail starts.

Thats what I use since I do not have a truck.

If anyone wants to go coyote hunting Id totally be down with it. Id rather not go by myself coyote hunting.

I hear there are lots of deer and coyotes up at Frederick Watershed / Cunningham area however I have scouted it many many times (I know the frederick watershed area very very well) and I have barely seen anything or heard anything.

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    My son and I hunted the Watershed for many years...7200+ acres with lots of elevation change. Be prepared to walk...no 4 wheelers allowed... Frankly, we never saw much up there... Stopped hunting there when the crowds grew and when some clueless mountain bikers rode through the area I was hunting during 'prime time'...some mountain bikers, dog walkers and hikers understand hunting seasons; some don't. Remember that it's a multi-use area...very popular with mountain bikers...be absolutely sure of your target if you go.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    My son and I hunted the Watershed for many years...7200+ acres with lots of elevation change. Be prepared to walk...no 4 wheelers allowed... Frankly, we never saw much up there... Stopped hunting there when the crowds grew and when some clueless mountain bikers rode through the area I was hunting during 'prime time'...some mountain bikers, dog walkers and hikers understand hunting seasons; some don't. Remember that it's a multi-use area...very popular with mountain bikers...be absolutely sure of your target if you go.

I mountain bike and hunt and unfortunately, there is historical tension between these user groups with both ripping apart & stealing each others' wood back and forth for constructing ground blinds or jumps/stunts/logrides. I even had a muzzleloader discharged into the ground near my riding group on a Sunday there in the Watershed when hunting is not allowed. I have traveled every inch of the Catoctin Trail(26mi blue blaze) many times over as well as many of those that spiderweb off of it from Gambrill to Cunningham Falls. I usually don't hunt there due to crowding and have seen many deer, turkey, fox and poisonous snakes but never a coyote. I've been going to the 'shed since '96 and haven't seen black bear there either though I did find a tree all clawed-up at about my head's height.

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    I mountain bike and hunt and unfortunately, there is historical tension between these user groups with both ripping apart & stealing each others' wood back and forth for constructing ground blinds or jumps/stunts/logrides. I even had a muzzleloader discharged into the ground near my riding group on a Sunday there in the Watershed when hunting is not allowed. I have traveled every inch of the Catoctin Trail(26mi blue blaze) many times over as well as many of those that spiderweb off of it from Gambrill to Cunningham Falls. I usually don't hunt there due to crowding and have seen many deer, turkey, fox and poisonous snakes but never a coyote. I've been going to the 'shed since '96 and haven't seen black bear there either though I did find a tree all clawed-up at about my head's height.

Yep, I MB up there too. What I was referring too was a clueless group that apparently didn't realize it was deer season prime time...rode right past my blind and continued riding in the area for 30 minutes or so. I packed up and left. Have seen a few deer up there while riding...not many though. Did see a black bear mom and 3 cubs up there while deer hunting 5 or 6 years ago. Never saw a coyote up there...only down on local farm land. Was actually riding around up there today...nothing.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Yep, I MB up there too. What I was referring too was a clueless group that apparently didn't realize it was deer season prime time...rode right past my blind and continued riding in the area for 30 minutes or so. I packed up and left. Have seen a few deer up there while riding...not many though. Did see a black bear mom and 3 cubs up there while deer hunting 5 or 6 years ago. Never saw a coyote up there...only down on local farm land. Was actually riding around up there today...nothing.

It is truly amazing how many folk I run into up there that have no idea that there are so many other people(and creatures) out there in the woods with them. I have on several occasions throughout the Summer come upon young folk who think the boulders around the ponds back there were placed just so in order to facilitate their partying and 'nanny-getting. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom