• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    Picked this puppy up last year and its still rocking and rolling :-)

6750C731-B4CC-41CD-92D2-79B5011F78FA-9891-000002ECACA6ACF9_zps67a91c00.jpg

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    My wife and I will be training with a GSG92 .177 bb gun to clear the house with (due to it's similarity to the Beretta 92/Taurus PT-92), as it is [mostly] nonlethal. I think it would be a good way of practicing safety, control, and exploring HD situations.

I've heard from a lot of people that Airsoft/Paintball isn't the best training method as it builds unrealistic expectations about usable cover.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My wife and I will be training with a GSG92 .177 bb gun to clear the house with (due to it's similarity to the Beretta 92/Taurus PT-92), as it is [mostly] nonlethal. I think it would be a good way of practicing safety, control, and exploring HD situations.

I've heard from a lot of people that Airsoft/Paintball isn't the best training method as it builds unrealistic expectations about usable cover.

mmmmmm....u ever shot a full beer can with a .177 air-gun? Go for it as long as you don't mind picking bb's out of yourself and your belongings. The cool part of airsoft for training is in some force on force stuff for people that don't have access to sims. It's actually pretty valuable stuff. In the great ammo scare we're in, there's some reputable trainers that are resorting to airsoft drills as a way to continue training.

Airsoft won't really help with recoil management, but it's pretty valuable for working on basics like sight alignment, grip, trigger control, shooting in various positions, shooting from behind concealment, shooting on the move, reloading drills, and especially for contact-distance employment of a handgun.

It's also superb for introducing a new shooter to the basics. When teaching jenni to shoot, I went over all the basic manipulations and safety rules with the airsoft versions of my guns. We were able to be in a relaxed environment(the living room) and focus on the task at hand(instead of the booms from other shooters). Once she had the safe handling down, we worked on the shooting parts. Once that was down, we moved outside to the bbgun versions of my guns so she'd experience some noise and recoil...but also get to see some cans explode when she hit them.

...from there it was onward and upward to the range with the .22's. The new experience there was moreso the fear of being around strangers that are shooting guns all around her. It's not a very natural thing for most people. Doubling up hearing protection works pretty well, but we still needed to take a couple breaks from the range to let her nerves calm down. Once that was fairly normal, it was time to slowly and safely introduce the 9mm and .45. She's pretty good now and can use a gun if she needs to, although shooting still isn't really a hobby she's interested in.

so ya, airsoft is great and has training applications from novice all the way up through advanced shooters. It's probably not the best to work on recoil/noise/flash management though.

0729082027.jpg

0902082213a.jpg

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    mmmmmm....u ever shot a full beer can with a .177 air-gun? Go for it as long as you don't mind picking bb's out of yourself and your belongings. The cool part of airsoft for training is in some force on force stuff for people that don't have access to sims. It's actually pretty valuable stuff. In the great ammo scare we're in, there's some reputable trainers that are resorting to airsoft drills as a way to continue training.

Yes, I have shot beer cans/soup cans/bottles/jugs/etc with .177 air guns - since I little kid. Did I ever say I was planning on us shooting at each other? What part of 'practicing [gun] safety' makes you think that I would shoot a BB gun at my wife, children, or belongings?

I would think that training with a gun that is nearly identical to the real thing (same weight, shape, DA/SA trigger/hammer, reloading/chambering method, safety, disassembly, blowback, etc - how about you LOOK UP what a GSG92 is) while still retaining the ability to shoot (in the basement per MoCo regulations) is a step up over a plastic airsoft pistol.

And have you seen high-level Airsoft Sims? Yeah they're fun - especially if you spend $2-5k on airsoft gear. But at the same time, you see people walking in groups in the open because the enemy is 100yd away, or hiding behind pieces of board as cover. It's a step up from those mall ninjas who play CoD, but I wouldn't say it's realistic.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I've been thinking about starting airsoft training for USPSA and IDPA. I may start after this winter. Or at least after the time changes and I can't get to the range before dark.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    It's not airsoft, it's a BB gun, but my Walther CP99 Compact takes CO2 and is blowback operated so it actually kicks. It's a really solid gun and it feels like shooting a .22 pistol. It'd be useful for training for sure.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I have a steel 1911 Air Soft that I use in the backyard to practice drawing from the holster. I have USPSA cardboard targets in the yard, I set my timer for a 2 second PAR time and see how many I can get into the A zone. The only problem is the CO2 cartridges freeze up if you shoot too fast.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yes, I have shot beer cans/soup cans/bottles/jugs/etc with .177 air guns - since I little kid. Did I ever say I was planning on us shooting at each other? What part of 'practicing [gun] safety' makes you think that I would shoot a BB gun at my wife, children, or belongings?

I would think that training with a gun that is nearly identical to the real thing (same weight, shape, DA/SA trigger/hammer, reloading/chambering method, safety, disassembly, blowback, etc - how about you LOOK UP what a GSG92 is) while still retaining the ability to shoot (in the basement per MoCo regulations) is a step up over a plastic airsoft pistol.

And have you seen high-level Airsoft Sims? Yeah they're fun - especially if you spend $2-5k on airsoft gear. But at the same time, you see people walking in groups in the open because the enemy is 100yd away, or hiding behind pieces of board as cover. It's a step up from those mall ninjas who play CoD, but I wouldn't say it's realistic.

u mentioned practicing clearing the house with your wife. I was assuming this would mean shooting while clearing at some point and potentially force on force scenarios. You also mentioned how airsoft gives people unrealistic training because it doesn't penetrate cover. Those things together made me worry about what kind of training you were planning with the bb gun. The other factor is how I've seen bb's ricochet at close ranges and still have some power to harm.

If you're shooting in to a trap in the basement, then that is cool, but different than the clearing the house stuff I was picturing in my mind in your original post.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    u mentioned practicing clearing the house with your wife. I was assuming this would mean shooting while clearing at some point and potentially force on force scenarios. You also mentioned how airsoft gives people unrealistic training because it doesn't penetrate cover. Those things together made me worry about what kind of training you were planning with the bb gun. The other factor is how I've seen bb's ricochet at close ranges and still have some power to harm.

Alright, I can see where we're getting in a jam.

To clarify - I meant more in terms of using a tac-light attached to the rail, slicing the pie, tactical reloading, using cover to retreat to a better location, etc. Any shooting that [may] happen would be unloaded (with CO2, there would still be blowback and semi-realistic handling without a projectile) and not directed at a person; any shooting with .177 ammunition would be in the unfinished basement against targets (following laws and proper safety handling techniques).

Airsoft guns would allow the same type of training, although there may be weight differences and reduced recoil (depending on how expensive your Airsoft gun is). This probably wouldn't affect your training, but may affect your muscle memory (due to weight differences). As a whole though, I think Airsoft is a lot of fun and great exercise. I just think that as a MILSIM, it can breed unrealistic expectations - if you react from muscle memory and dive behind a ply-wood board instead of going the extra 2 feet for a metal dumpster, you're gonna have a bad time.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Alright, I can see where we're getting in a jam.

To clarify - I meant more in terms of using a tac-light attached to the rail, slicing the pie, tactical reloading, using cover to retreat to a better location, etc. Any shooting that [may] happen would be unloaded (with CO2, there would still be blowback and semi-realistic handling without a projectile) and not directed at a person; any shooting with .177 ammunition would be in the unfinished basement against targets (following laws and proper safety handling techniques).

Airsoft guns would allow the same type of training, although there may be weight differences and reduced recoil (depending on how expensive your Airsoft gun is). This probably wouldn't affect your training, but may affect your muscle memory (due to weight differences). As a whole though, I think Airsoft is a lot of fun and great exercise. I just think that as a MILSIM, it can breed unrealistic expectations - if you react from muscle memory and dive behind a ply-wood board instead of going the extra 2 feet for a metal dumpster, you're gonna have a bad time.

check:thumbsup: we're on the same page.

Francky

May 4, 2013
    Airsoft is so much fun, I was used to play a lot in disused warehouses/offices, or old WW2 fort when I was living in France.

HK MP5, Berreta M92, scope, laser pointer, night vision, walkie-talkie, tracer bullet and even BB grenades.... That was so much fun!!!

Back in 2002:

12130020..jpg

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm sold on airsoft for many reasons. It's about the best for force on force scanerio training, and house clearing training at normal (close) distances.

Still need the square range for marksmanship at speed, firearm manipilation, and transitions under real recoil.

I find laser is best for marksmanship and training to keep both eyes open.

Dummy guns are best for weapon retention training and general demonstration.

Dummy ammo good to overcome flinching and work on malfunction drills.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I practiced pin shooting with an airsoft gun the day before the match at the Fairfax Gun Club. During the match, I hit 6 pins in under 4 seconds, placed 2nd. My best time before that was just over 7 seconds.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A co worker of mine and his wife are champion idpa shooters. They place/hang double cardboard backed targets throughout their house and use their air soft guns for scenarios for home defense. Clearing, sitting, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom