• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    Ok i got a 16' bayliner and and a few traps, I put in at Wilson point park in Middle River. If anyone knows a good place in this area to crab and has more experience crabbing then me( I have no experience) we can use my boat and we can split what we catch.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Ok i got a 16' bayliner and and a few traps, I put in at Wilson point park in Middle River. If anyone knows a good place in this area to crab and has more experience crabbing then me( I have no experience) we can use my boat and we can split what we catch.

you want the boat license and a good 1000 ft of trot line to make it interesting.

6cylrider98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2008
    Bmore Co
    Went last Sat, got@ 3 bush, only 1 were good heavies. Lot of whites were good but lite. Last year was good for crabs.Should be good by Aug-Sept . As the norm.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Went tonight to our secret local pier around fort howard. My brother and I went just for kicks and to see whats going on. We had 13 hand lines out, kept 20, but threw back a lot that will be keepers next sluff. If I had to guess we easily caught 4 dozen. We thought not to bad for early June. We grew up on the water and haven't seen crabbing like last year in 15 years. I also knocked the shit out of perch on a chartreuse and orange spinner.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD

too early for middle river, go just a tad further south. liek out the mouth of MR and to the right hint hint.

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    too early for middle river, go just a tad further south. liek out the mouth of MR and to the right hint hint.

There is a lot of crabs right in middle river they are just small. My son and I caught about a bush last night off the dock but only about 6 keeper

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    Last year was the best year commercial crabbers have had in a long time. But they focked us(retailers) hard. There were tons of md crabs last year just nothing that was a good size, well to me at least. I sold all the local ones (which we pay top dollar for) that should be asl large and jumbo as mostly all mediums and for $1 crab during the week. there's been a lot of crabs this week just nothing worth me buying and reselling. All the light crabs I won't buy cause I can't sell them cheap enough for people to buy them and not complain. When people catch them themselves they dont care as much about the quality vs when they buy them.

/end rant sorry lol

Well I certainly never get $ 200 / bushel the money is not on our end. Crabs are the same price they were 20 yrs ago. Everything else is more. Its hard to throw borderline crabs in the 20 dollar basket instead of the 70 dollar one.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I have never used a trot line but am willing to give it a shot.

-You need 2 baskets or 2 five gallon buckets.
    -1000' of 1/4 - 3/16th inch line, I use nylon "clothes line" in 100ft sections, whatever you use it needs to sink and not float. I've seen some paracord that works and some that doesnt.
    -You need 2 anchors, i use two really old windows sash weights maybe 15-20 lbs each.
    -You need 2 buoys, i use real ones, but alot of people use old detergent bottles, they both need to be the same size and color.
    -about 20 feet of lightweight chain
    -about 20 ft of heavy rope
    -about 4 brass dog leash type clips ( like to split my line in the middle, makes things a little easier to set/retrieve, or seperate to rebait)
    -rocksalt
    -a case of chicken necks
    -a wire dip net
    -some type of outrigger, i have 3 different designes for the different boats

Its only worth it if you go out every weekend.

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    -You need 2 baskets or 2 five gallon buckets.
    -1000' of 1/4 - 3/16th inch line, I use nylon "clothes line" in 100ft sections, whatever you use it needs to sink and not float. I've seen some paracord that works and some that doesnt.
    -You need 2 anchors, i use two really old windows sash weights maybe 15-20 lbs each.
    -You need 2 buoys, i use real ones, but alot of people use old detergent bottles, they both need to be the same size and color.
    -about 20 feet of lightweight chain
    -about 20 ft of heavy rope
    -about 4 brass dog leash type clips ( like to split my line in the middle, makes things a little easier to set/retrieve, or seperate to rebait)
    -rocksalt
    -a case of chicken necks
    -a wire dip net
    -some type of outrigger, i have 3 different designes for the different boats

Its only worth it if you go out every weekend.

Ok dont stop there once I got all this stuff how do I set it all up

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Ok dont stop there once I got all this stuff how do I set it all up

Anchor weight-
    8'-10' rope-
    buoy-
    little bit of rope-
    10ft of chain (weighs down the line to the bottom)-

brass clip clips to chain-
    tied to 1000' line-
    tied to brass clip-

clipped to 10ft chain-
    tied to little bit of rope-
    buoy-
    8-10'ft rope-
    anchor weight

You can split the line into two 500 ft sections like i do, tied to a brass clip on either end, to make it into manageable sections. You can do smaller sections if you want, or just go the full 1000 ft. Actually max is 1200, but i stick with 1000 because my leaders add length, and to avoid any issues. Each section of line basically needs clips on either end, to clip to the leader chains or another section of line.

Bait with chicken necks every 3-4', use a slip knot. Clip to a five gallon bucket handle, coil a little into the bucket, bait, coil, bait, coil, on and on. every 50 ft or so add a handfull of rocksalt. when the line is all coiled and baited, clip the other end to the handle and add water. You really want the line to be briney, it brings the crabs in. Refridgerate till morning.

http://www.bluecrab.info/crabbing/trotline.html

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    Anchor weight-
    8'-10' rope-
    buoy-
    little bit of rope-
    10ft of chain (weighs down the line to the bottom)-

brass clip clips to chain-
    tied to 1000' line-
    tied to brass clip-

clipped to 10ft chain-
    tied to little bit of rope-
    buoy-
    8-10'ft rope-
    anchor weight

You can split the line into two 500 ft sections like i do, tied to a brass clip on either end, to make it into manageable sections. You can do smaller sections if you want, or just go the full 1000 ft. Actually max is 1200, but i stick with 1000 because my leaders add length, and to avoid any issues. Each section of line basically needs clips on either end, to clip to the leader chains or another section of line.

Bait with chicken necks every 3-4', use a slip knot. Clip to a five gallon bucket handle, coil a little into the bucket, bait, coil, bait, coil, on and on. every 50 ft or so add a handfull of rocksalt. when the line is all coiled and baited, clip the other end to the handle and add water. You really want the line to be briney, it brings the crabs in. Refridgerate till morning.

http://www.bluecrab.info/crabbing/trotline.html

Thanks for the help and the link was great

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    We also use salted eels and bull lips on our lines. The worse it smell the better, if the smell of your bait makes you puke you're good to go.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    We also use salted eels and bull lips on our lines. The worse it smell the better, if the smell of your bait makes you puke you're good to go.

Bull lips last forever because they are so tough, and they stink in the brine, but eels and necks are sooo much better.

If you have the time, and live on the water, you can catch eels for free bait, so thats a plus. I know one guy, and thats all he uses, he never pays a dime for bait.

But crabs dont like rotten bait, or fat, or ckicken skin.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    My friends father would trot line years ago. He swore by eels. We would go out and catch herring when they were running and use them for eel bait. Fresh salted eel caught more crabs than chix necks or bull lips combined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom