• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    Bridge on the River Kwai was on TV last night and it got me interested in procuring a MkII for my own enjoyment. Has anyone here built one? With a good gunsmith it doesn't seem too entirely difficult. I know the drawbacks to the design and the mag issues, but parts kits and receivers aren't too entirely expensive. Has anyone gotten them to run reliably with a closed bolt? Or should I save my beans for a F/A rig?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Have to make MAJOR changes in design. The Sten had no hammer or moving firing pin. The firing pin was a nub on the bolt face. Bolt closes, round fires.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Have to make MAJOR changes in design. The Sten had no hammer or moving firing pin. The firing pin was a nub on the bolt face. Bolt closes, round fires.

Made a MK3 about 10 yrs ago. Pinecone is wright. Major changes. I used AR 15 FCG and had to modife the hammer and make a long firing pin. Used a 16'' Uzi barrel so I did not need a SBR stamp.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Or should I save my beans for a F/A rig?

If you decide to go the F/A route, and like that general design, I suggest you look at a Sterling. Stens are on the crude side with mags that are a pain in the ass to load. Sterlings are a real pleasure to shoot with excellent mags.

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    If you decide to go the F/A route, and like that general design, I suggest you look at a Sterling. Stens are on the crude side with mags that are a pain in the ass to load. Sterlings are a real pleasure to shoot with excellent mags.

I do appreciate the later designs, as they improve on each other, but it's the WW2 history that has my interest. It would be an occasional shooter, hence why the semi is ideal, otherwise, it is for the collection.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    I do appreciate the later designs, as they improve on each other, but it's the WW2 history that has my interest. It would be an occasional shooter, hence why the semi is ideal, otherwise, it is for the collection.

I have a few sterling tubes that I put together before the ban, but I believe the sten is still GTG as a carbine. You can always SBR anything you want at 29" right now and even that may change. If you are looking for an outwardly accurate semi auto sten, you will have to SBR in order to avoid the anteater barrel.

There well established designs for both striker and hammer fired stens. If this is your first build, I would encourage you to look at a dedicated builders' forum to solidify your design. Some of us from MDS are also at www.weaponsguild.com It is a huge resource for the homebuilder.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I've built both an S/A MkII and an S/A MkIII from kits as papered SBRs. They're fun to shoot.

But then I got a papered F/A MkII, and the S/As have sat in the safe ever since.

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Indianapolis ordnance seems to be the way to go for receivers and a semi kit. They seem a little pricey for what they are, but their reviews are good. I haven't been able to come across any saw cut parts kits, so looks like torched will be the way to go. The edges look pretty rough, how much prep work did you guys encounter? Any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom