• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Gotta love it for those of us veterans, but not retired, that don't want to share our SSN for this application. Don't have to put it on the electronic form, but must scan a copy of your DD-214, which lists it plain as day. Wonder if MSP will accept a redacted scan?

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    What about people like my father? He's a senior citizen living on a fixed income. He doesn't have a computer or a cell phone.

It's not grabbing at straws. It's a very valid point for a lot of Marylanders. Just because you have a computer and a scanner, it doesn't mean everyone does.

Not trying to argue with you here. I understand your frustration. BELIEVE ME. But we will get better results if we stay focused on the real issues, and avoid the appearance of nit picking.

Take it from someone who's been involved in "organizational" "politics" (local and national) for the last 20+ years. When you start piling on "little $#!+" it starts diluting the "big $#!+", and everything starts to get lost by the people who aren't interested in the first place, yet you still need to keep a dialog open.

When you start saying things like "It's unfair because some people don't have computers/cell phones/a ride to staples", it just makes eyes roll on the other side.

What you are doing is the EXACT same thing that liberals do regarding Voter ID
    Think about our reaction when the left makes excuses for why people shouldn't be required to show a photo ID to vote.

Can't have it both ways.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    No. I think it was just "Exempt". I think it was the first one.

It tells you if you read further down the page.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    What about people like my father? He's a senior citizen living on a fixed income. He doesn't have a computer or a cell phone.

It's not grabbing at straws. It's a very valid point for a lot of Marylanders. Just because you have a computer and a scanner, it doesn't mean everyone does.

$.50 cents a page @staples..

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    $.50 cents a page @staples..

OK, but then what? Does he have to buy a spindle of CD's or a thumb drive to have it copied on to? And then how is he going to know how to get it off of the media and uploaded to the MSP website? That's a big deal for someone who doesn't know how to use a computer. Plus now he has to get transportation to Staples...

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    OK, but then what? Does he have to buy a spindle of CD's or a thumb drive to have it copied on to? And then how is he going to know how to get it off of the media and uploaded to the MSP website? That's a big deal for someone who doesn't know how to use a computer. Plus now he has to get transportation to Staples...

Perhaps someone could help him. A "relative" maybe???
    :innocent0

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    My local gun shop told me this morning that only active duty military and LEO's were exempt from training for HQL! They said they are listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit against the HQL and also have classes for the HQL starting on the 12th.
    I'm so confused.
    Not really, I know the facts from the MDSP website.

Tim460

May 22, 2010
    Baltimore Co.
    From what I'm reading I don't need one as active LEO, but I cannot find what documentation I would need to bring in. I'm guessing MPTC card and agency ID?

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    What you are doing is the EXACT same thing that liberals do regarding Voter ID
    Think about our reaction when the left makes excuses for why people shouldn't be required to show a photo ID to vote.

Can't have it both ways.
    Apples and oranges IMHO. The right to keep and bear arms is enumerated in the constitution. The right to vote is not. Qualifications for voting are mostly left to the states. There does exist some language as to ways you can't be denied the right to vote but I've never been able to find that the right exists. I believe it is what they call an implied right vs our enumerated right.

IANAL and it shows. :D

Redcat

Curmudgeon
    Oct 4, 2008
    Severn, MD
    My local gun shop told me this morning that only active duty military and LEO's were exempt from training for HQL! They said they are listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit against the HQL and also have classes for the HQL starting on the 12th. I'm so confused. Not really, I know the facts from the MDSP website.

Mixing apples and oranges - Active and retired military, and LEOs are exempt from having to get the HQL period.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    From what I'm reading I don't need one as active LEO, but I cannot find what documentation I would need to bring in. I'm guessing MPTC card and agency ID?

Wearing your uniform with a handgun strapped to your side might do the trick. :)

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Mixing apples and oranges - Active and retired military, and LEOs are exempt from having to get the HQL period.

this whole law is BS and this part shows why. I am an honorably discharged Army combat veteran. Served for 6 years. why would active duty and "retired" military be exempt but not an honorably discharged vet. just stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    this whole law is BS and this part shows why. I am an honorably discharged Army combat veteran. Served for 6 years. why would active duty and "retired" military be exempt but not an honorably discharged vet. just stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!!

It's divide and conquer. It's probably going to work well. The GA is hoping for reduced ranks next time around and is free to use that as an excuse to chip away at the rest of the exempted pool, probably during the wee hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom