• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    This is going to sound absolutely insane, but I'm between a Walther P-38 and a Glock 20 for my next gun. There is a used P-38 for $450 and I saw a new 20 for $600 so I'm in a bit of a tossup right now. I'm planning to get into reloading soon so ammo costs aren't really a factor.

I was talking to the guy in the shop about 10mm, I know it is basically an obscure cartridge that is just short of a hand cannon round with a good bit of recoil. He said that nobody really shoots 10mm and they have only sold a couple of guns 10mm. I have no idea why I want it or need it but I love obscure cartridges and hand cannons are fun. However, the P-38 is just plain cool.

So my question is, who here actually shoots 10mm? Do you like it? I know it takes the bullets for .40 so I'd imagine the only pricey part of rolling them up is going to be the brass. Of all the gun shops I have been to only one even had a 10mm, the rest said they don't bother stocking them because nobody buys them!:sad20:

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    10mm is my favorite caliber for autos. I currently have 5 guns in 10mm. 2 Glock 20s, a Glock 29, a Colt Delta Elite, and an EAA Witness. 10mm is a very versatile round that can be anywhere from mild to wild. Even in the hottest loads, I actually thinks it's less snappy than. 40.

Most "shelf" ammo that you'll find is watered down but there are several manufacturers that offer hot loads. Reloading is definitely the way to go (as you've already stated). I go through quite a bit of 10mm ammo and keep 1 reloading press dedicated to nothing but 10mm.

If you've never shot a 10mm before, try it and you will most likely love it. I'm even willing to let you shoot my P-38 and a couple of 10s to help with your decision.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A couple of people have them. I have never shot one. At one point Continental Arms had one, not sure if it is still in their rental collection. At one point Free State also had one, not sure if it is still there for rental. I do plan on renting from one of these two places and trying it.

I wouldn't call it obscure, maybe a little out of the mainstream. I think part of that was the great buying frenzy and many shops would only carry 9mm, .40 and .45 guns and ammo because those are common SHTF calibers.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    10mm is too much fun...
    i have an EAA witness p-carry with a 3.5 inch barrel that lets you feel the beast and see the flames....
    it makes me happy...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Gathering parts for one now. A friend started urging to get one years ago. He is a very skilled and open minded shooter. He swears by the 10's', hence a large reason I chose to build one.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    10MM is still around, and guns are still being offered in that caliber. I do know Kimber still offers there full sized 1911's in 10MM.

The 40 S&W pretty much sidetracked the 10mm, but those who know better still shoot the 10mm.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    If you've never shot a 10mm before, try it and you will most likely love it. I'm even willing to let you shoot my P-38 and a couple of 10s to help with your decision.

I work about 5 miles from On Target, so if you want to shoot on a weekday I will gladly take you up on that offer. I'll also bring along my Colt Police Positive in .32 S&W Long if you want to shoot that.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    I have a Glock 20 and love to shoot it. With the 10mm you can shoot the downloaded offerings which are the same as the 40, or go to full-power with just a mag change.

Plus, 10mm is the only .40 caliber that earns the coveted Clandestine Seal of Approval!

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    You should probably go with a 10mm. Thanks to you I went down and bought the P-38 and then spotted a CZ-75 in stainless and bought it too. I used to have an EAA Witness in 10mm and .40. It shot pretty well and the ability to practice with much cheaper 40 was nice. Got most of my 10mm ammo from Georgia Arms. The Glock 20 is nice but remember it has an unsupported chamber so if you want to shoot really hot 10mm you will need to get an aftermarket barrel. A friend of mine has a couple of Deltas and they are also unsupported. He had a bad experience in two of them with really hot ammo.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I work about 5 miles from On Target, so if you want to shoot on a weekday I will gladly take you up on that offer. I'll also bring along my Colt Police Positive in .32 S&W Long if you want to shoot that.

That sounds like a plan to me. I am a member at On Target so I go there quite often. Just let me know a day/time that works good for you and I'll see what I can do. I work in Baltimore until 5pm but I can make an excuse to leave early one day.

I'll bring a G20, G29, EAA, and the P-38.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I own two, working on a third. S&W 610 and Kimber STII. Love the 10mm. Georgia Arms supplies bulk 10mm ammo for less than .45 ACP. They hit the gun show circuit up and down the east coast. Get a Wolf barrel if you want max performance out of the Glock.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I LOVE THE 10 MM!!!!! I have 5 delta elites and shot them alot.
    the flexability of the round for hand loading is great. I can load a wuzzy .40 load or load up a full house true magnum 10 mm round. I am currenty working on a 10mm AR.

go 10mm!!!!

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    it's funny you ask - I was debating getting a glock 21 gen 4 or a glock 20 gen 3. I have a 1980 Walther P1 9mm - they are a little cheaper. I've shot thousands of rounds through it - great weapon. You can get mags for $12.00 and an entire parts kit for around $80.00

Go with the Glock 20 10mm AND the cheaper Walther P1

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i have a S&W 610. you can shoot 10mm and .40s&w with moon clips.:)

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I have a G20SF. I enjoy shooting it, so far I've only shot full power loads through it ( Double Tap 180gr ).

I would shoot it more, however I can bring myself to shoot the normal commercial loads through it. Most are only around 100fps faster then a 40 for almost double the price. If I reloaded I would possibly shoot it more.

If you already have other guns that are economical to shoot, then go 10mm. Having 15rds of full power 10mm on tap is a good feeling !

When I get a chance to book a hog hunt, the G20 will go with me. I want to see what a 180gr Gold Dot flying at 1305fps does to a pig.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'd be interested in a Delta Elite for carrying at the Undisclosed Location (tm) since the biggest thing I'm concerned about are the somewhat wild packs of dogs i've seen and the occasional bruin that stumbles across my camp.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I'd be interested in a Delta Elite for carrying at the Undisclosed Location (tm) since the biggest thing I'm concerned about are the somewhat wild packs of dogs i've seen and the occasional bruin that stumbles across my camp.

The Delta Elite is the only 1911 I would buy. There is just something about that gun.

But I'm scared of it. I know it would end up triple in price by time it made the rounds and was customized to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom