• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    The good news is that the indoor range I belong to allows rifles. The bad news is that the maximum range is 75 feet and the shots are always going to be pretty much straigh forward (as opposed to much in the way of elevation differences).

My question is if that is sufficient to provide any useful training.

On the one hand it seems like one could simply try for exceedingly small groups. On the other, you aren't really dealing with range, windage, elevations, and a single hole at 75 feet could still be a pretty wide spread further out.

And there may be other issues as well, which is why I'm asking here.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    There is always value in extra trigger time. Work on your trigger, not anticipating the round going off, etc. You can also get targets that mimic the size they would be at various distances, so that could also be of some value to you.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd work on getting those small groups. Arguably, NOT having to deal with all of those external factors will force you to confront the basics of rifle operation, and your role in such.

randomjoe

Jan 16, 2009
    Depends on what type of rifle you are talking about. If they allow reloads/transitions this would be a good distance to practice failure drills/malfunctions with an AR/AK, reloading, transitioning to a pistol, etc.

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    Half and Half drill only goes out to 20 yards. 20 is easy, but the 2.5 sec par on the 5 yd is a beast. If you're allowed to shoot multiple lanes then El Presidente is also an option. There's plenty you can do it just requires a little imagination.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    anything is better than nothing. as noted above, you can work on accuracy, reloads, pistol transitions and the like.

i just did a small competition at an indoor 25yd range, where they ran the targets out and back and we had to put so many shots in them (head and body) before they stopped.

look for some 3 gun and also tactical carbine events (mayberry) to get OJT (so to speak) practice. i do these as i haven't found too many places that let you run around with guns, so the events ARE my practice.

and just because you belong to one place doesn't preclude you from hitting some outdoor ranges that may go out to 100 - 300+ yards.

also look at the Training forum for something that suits you.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Short distance with the right rifle can be a whole lot of fun. I sometimes practice getting target acquisition quickly from the high ready. I would do double taps, but my range frowns upon such behavior.

Engage Instructor

Industry Partner
    Oct 27, 2011
    IMO it all depends on what type of shooter you want to be. Are you a bulls eye shooter, or a defensive shooter. For the military, which is mainly defensive with a little in offensive, we qualified at distances from 200-500 yards and close range 25 yards and in. Most engagements overseas are made at ranges of 300 yards so we focused on medium engagement type training. With closer ranges you have to take into account the height of your optics zero on the reticle and the axis of the bore. So you will have to aim higher on the target to get the desired effect on the target. After 25 yards you have to take your time with your shots. In the defensive shooting you have to think about the effect of your rounds on target. If you send every round through the same hole does that have a positive (deadly) effect on target. You should always know the limits of your rifle and your abilities. I know that on a stationary target at 700 yards I can hit 3 out of 5 rounds with a 16" AR. It is also a confidence booster to see a good hit at a long range. But the world is your oyster and there are many different types of shooting out there. If your interested in close range defensive tactical type shooting we will be offering a carbine class in the near future!

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I had a conversation with a student (police officer) about 2 weeks ago regarding this. We were discussing our outdoor range (25 yards) and the possibility of a rifle class being held there.

The student brought up a good point in that many officers now go to their rifle first in an active shooter situation and most engagements occur at distances less than 25 yards. The average person who uses a rifle in a defensive manner is probably going to be at distances well within the capabilities of the rifle.....just food for thought.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I had a conversation with a student (police officer) about 2 weeks ago regarding this. We were discussing our outdoor range (25 yards) and the possibility of a rifle class being held there.

The student brought up a good point in that many officers now go to their rifle first in an active shooter situation and most engagements occur at distances less than 25 yards. The average person who uses a rifle in a defensive manner is probably going to be at distances well within the capabilities of the rifle.....just food for thought.

Couldn't have said it better. If your training for a real world gun fight 90% of the time anything over 25 yards is a waste if your training to pick off zombies from your top window the skies the limit

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I frequently practice off-hand with carbines at 25 yards. It's fun to see how tight of a grouping you can consistently shoot. It helps to develop/improve good/consistent technique.

MCTRV

Mar 2, 2011
    Great info here. Just bought my 1st AR15 & was wondering about range shooting at 25yds - thanx all.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I start all of my rifles out at 25yds to sight in, works well for me. I use 12" Shoot N' See targets and can see the impacts without glass (most of my rifles are irons only milsurps).

C45P312

Jan 17, 2012
    Virginia
    There's a lot you can do at 75ft. Just think big circles and little circles. You can practice accuracy and speed and weapon manipulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom