• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relwarc

Jan 25, 2013
    Hunt Valley
    So I shot my Mosin for the first time last weekend :party29::party29::party29::party29::party29::party29::party29::party29::party29::party29::party29:

And now I have a bunch of spent brass. I got one of those sardine cans of 440 rounds. Is it re-loadable? Should I keep it?

Thanks!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If it's steel, scrap it.

If it's brass milsurp, it's still berdan-primed - a bitch to reload (very few reloaders bother with berdan-primed brass), but the metal value will be substantially more than steel. So you may eventually have enough to merit selling to a recycler, or the rare reloader who bothers with berdan primed ammo.

Relwarc

Jan 25, 2013
    Hunt Valley
    so what you're saying is that I should toss it all into a box in my closet until I've shot all 440 rounds, then see about offloading it for $15?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    so what you're saying is that I should toss it all into a box in my closet until I've shot all 440 rounds, then see about offloading it for $15?

If it's brass, that's pretty much it ... yeah. You never know what folks may want to do in the future. As noted, reloading Berdan-primed rounds is a bitch, and not worth it to very many people, but it can be done with the right tools and primers.

If it's steel, or copper-washed steel, you might be able to use it to make some interesting sculpture.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The sardine cans (Tins) will have surplus copper washed steel. I toss mine.
    If you ever shoot PPU or other re-loadable brass, keep it and trade it. I will trade 22LR for re-loadable brass with boxer primers for my milsurps.

Relwarc

Jan 25, 2013
    Hunt Valley
    The sardine cans (Tins) will have surplus copper washed steel. I toss mine.
    If you ever shoot PPU or other re-loadable brass, keep it and trade it. I will trade 22LR for re-loadable brass with boxer primers for my milsurps.

I was going to say something dumb, along the lines of... "Well, my spent shells are gold, so they are copper, right? :sad20: "

so the ones I have are pretty much useless, eh? Maybe I'll use them to make something cool. :cool:

Thanks guys!

Sirex