• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Anyone who went through the MSP academy, what is it like? Can anyone give me an idea of a typical day? Obviously I know its not an easy academy but im just looking for an idea

Where do you live? Come on a ride along and I can explain what it is like, too many words than can be put on here from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Look on usajobs I think the Bereau of Engraving & Printing is hiring some police officers. Yes they are real police officers not security guards!

Its a good gig for a someone who did their years of service, retired and wants another paycheck, not for a young guy/girl who wants to do real police work. Same thing for many of those "force" protection federal positions. The NSA, FBI, CIA police are just a few that come to mind. But you may make more money in the long run.

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    wouldn't doubt it. A good friend of mine started in the city, lateraled to the county, got blackballed in a "minority unfriendly" precinct, and is now looking to make another move.

The grass ain't always greener.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Its a good gig for a someone who did their years of service, retired and wants another paycheck, not for a young guy/girl who wants to do real police work. Same thing for many of those "force" protection federal positions. The NSA, FBI, CIA police are just a few that come to mind. But you may make more money in the long run.

These federal positions are probably age limited. So no go on the retirement gigs. Must be hired by age 37 most likely..

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    a'int that the truth. The money however...

True but morale is so bad at some places it's not worth the extra money. If you like where you work and the people you work with that's worth more then a few extra dollars.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    After watching that video, all I thought was "man, that looks fun".

If you go through the academy, are you definitely an officer afterwards or can you go through it all and they decide you dont have what it takes?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    wouldn't doubt it. A good friend of mine started in the city, lateraled to the county, got blackballed in a "minority unfriendly" precinct, and is now looking to make another move.

A lot of laterals think that their experience rolls over with them and they expect to be treated like a 5 year super star officer and given considerations and make detective or get promoted in their first year or two at the new department.

That simply is not the case. When you lateral to a new department you typically start fresh and you need to build your new reputation from the bottom up all while the expectation of you "knowing the basics" is higher since you supposedly been there and done that.

It's easy to say folks are "minority unfriendly" instead of saying I need to improve XYZ or maybe if this new department is going to pay me a ton more the expectations are going to be higher and I'm going to have to do things differently.

Going from Baltimore City to the County is a significant change in policing, supervision, expectations, etc. A report or investigation that may have got by on a city bubble sheet form with a 2-3 sentence narrative isn't going to fly at other departments.

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    After watching that video, all I thought was "man, that looks fun".

If you go through the academy, are you definitely an officer afterwards or can you go through it all and they decide you dont have what it takes?

Yeh fun.....OK.....tell yourself that. It's not up to THEM to decide if your going to be an Tpr., it's up to YOU. Some of the stuff is fun but fun is found in places you never expect in the academy. Much if the stuff that looks fun on the video is turned into to "suck" in real life. After 4 months fun is few and far between. To to the MSP website and it will tell you what you need to do start the process, it's an ongoing hiring process.

kgain673

Dec 18, 2007
    Exactly what Name Taken said. Ain't now way I'm going somewhere new and getting treated like a new guy all over again, and at 30+ years old, I don't know why people do it.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I didnt mean to imply fun as "easy" or a negetive thing. Im the type of person who loves to push myself and see what my limits are. So thats where the "fun" comes into play for me.

What I mean by asking if its up to them to make you a trooper, is can a person go through the academy, do all the required, and then still get turned down because maybe the instructors feel you didnt do a good enough job

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    I didnt mean to imply fun as "easy" or a negetive thing. Im the type of person who loves to push myself and see what my limits are. So thats where the "fun" comes into play for me.

What I mean by asking if its up to them to make you a trooper, is can a person go through the academy, do all the required, and then still get turned down because maybe the instructors feel you didnt do a good enough job

There's field training that comes after the academy. A candidate can be washed out at that stage, but most do fine. Field training is usually about three months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom