• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Joey B is firm in his convictions .

Meanwhile , for the rest of our readers , another snipit :

In a confrontation , you will have the rest of your life to access a functional firearm .

The variable is whether that consists of 0.5 seconds or 50 years .

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I saw a video on the FNAmerica website for the 'reflex' pistol that shows a person draw their pistol from concealed and rack the slide. So not a great example with respect to being ready to shoot. Maybe it was a 'safety on the set' procedure just for filming. Although if they were not live rounds it might not need to be done that way.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Most people that have never been exposed to true violence just cannot grasp how quickly things can happen.

Nor do people seem to understand that, as armed citizens, we are almost always going to be trying to react to others who are already in motion.

Their understanding seems to be that, like in the action movies, they will have both hands working and available, room to move and that there will be ample time to dick around with trying to get their equipment ready to use.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I agree with your, loaded with one in the chamber, advice; that's how I was trained and the majority consensus.

That said; for other folks-other strokes; but in a SD situation, you'd have to be a fool to not consider the advice from the pros.
    It doesn't take a pro to know a loaded pistol is faster than one that isn't.
    But to each their own. I'm glad their shoot isn't my shoot.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    It doesn't take a pro to know a loaded pistol is faster than one that isn't.
    But to each their own. I'm glad their shoot isn't my shoot.
    For me it was getting over decades of family and range training: don't load until you are ready to shoot; with the concern of safety.

Agree, anyone with concerns about one in the tube should check out revolvers. S&W 360 is my preferred carry. Not the optimal for capacity, but it works for most of what I have going on. Grab and go.

The Hellcat and 365 were recently added to the CA roster but are hard to find; and they have the loaded chamber indicator which I despise. IDK what more either of these will give me more than my G19; especially if St. Benitez's mag ruling prevails.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For me it was getting over decades of family and range training: don't load until you are ready to shoot; with the concern of safety.

Agree, anyone with concerns about one in the tube should check out revolvers. S&W 360 is my preferred carry. Not the optimal for capacity, but it works for most of what I have going on. Grab and go.

The Hellcat and 365 were recently added to the CA roster but are hard to find; and they have the loaded chamber indicator which I despise. IDK what more either of these will give me more than my G19; especially if St. Benitez's mag ruling prevails.
    The whole "family shooting" thing is the Achilles heel of many.
    "I've been shooting with my dad since I was a pup". Well, you've been shooting wrong your whole life. Lol

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Most people that have never been exposed to true violence just cannot grasp how quickly things can happen.

Nor do people seem to understand that, as armed citizens, we are almost always going to be trying to react to others who are already in motion.

Their understanding seems to be that, like in the action movies, they will have both hands working and available, room to move and that there will be ample time to dick around with trying to get their equipment ready to use.
    Well said.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    "I've been shooting with my dad since I was a pup". Well, you've been shooting wrong your whole life. Lol
    The "no load" rule makes sense if you are hunting or going to the range. But for CCW it makes no sense; different applications.

As my instructor put it, more or less; the first time going out carrying it's like a whole new world. And he was right; but I got used to the new world.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Hesitation to carry one in the pipe,, is why God created the DA/SA hammer fired, no safety handgun.
    Long live the CZ

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hesitation to carry one in the pipe,, is why God created the DA/SA hammer fired, no safety handgun.
    Long live the CZ
    Hesitation to carry one in the pipe is based on not understanding how certain guns work. CZ's are fantastic, so are striker fired handguns without a manual safety.

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys
    Hesitation to carry one in the pipe is based on not understanding how certain guns work. CZ's are fantastic, so are striker fired handguns without a manual safety.
    True, but if you want a manual safety just for an added level of confidence, there are many models available. I added a manual safety to my 365 after I bought it. I didn't know that was an option, but it was easily done.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    True, but if you want a manual safety just for an added level of confidence, there are many models available. I added a manual safety to my 365 after I bought it. I didn't know that was an option, but it was easily done.

Yes they are an option on some models I just don’t see the need. Multiple internal safeties and a proper holster are all that’s required.
    Unless you practice drawing and taking off the safety until it’s second nature, that safety can get you killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Yep. When I was teaching long range precision, this almost always meant that we'd have a tremendous amount of stuff to undo to make any real progress.

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys
    Yes they are an option on some models I just don’t see the need. Multiple internal safeties and a proper holster are all that’s required.
    Unless you practice drawing and taking off the safety until it’s second nature, that safety can get you killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are definitely right. But even without safeties, training with your gear is extremely important no matter what it is.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    A great deal is said about the Israeli military carrying empty chamber, so should we all. Okay, but I ask those with knowledge of military doctrine, is survival/success of an individual the goal or is mission success the goal?

Carrying condition three can result in the loss of a soldier or two, but mission success may still be achieved by the rest of the platoon, That's okay for a military operation, but in a civilian situation, I want to survive. There is no "sacrificial lamb" in an army of one. Army carry rules may not apply in civilian situations.

Last edited:

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    When first getting my out of state ccw permit I too was not confident ,trained enough to feel comfortable carrying a round in the pipe.

However after getting proper training when getting md hgp and properly trained on draw and fire. I always carry loaded with one in the pipe, no manual safeties.

I practice almost daily with a BB gun of same make and model and holster as my carry piece since Most ranges will not allow draw and fire practice.

Proper training and practice. will build your confidence on proper method to draw safely without an AD.

Another tip I was told. Never remove pistol from holster when putting holster on or off.
    Pistol will not go off when holstered.

Muscle memory and practice. Chit happens too fast in a real life situation where you may need to defend yourself.
    JMO HTH’s

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Stops , thinks .

No . Dad didn't attempt to teach me beyond his areas of expertise , but he didn't teach me anything wrong .

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    I do....most of the time carry with an empty chamber. The problem is, if you really have to draw and fire, that the gun may jam of fail to feed when you need it the most. I believe it is not a good idea to carry that way, but I do it anyways for my own personal safety. I understand that sounds stupid. If I have to draw in a situation, racking the slide only takes a split second, and the person I am in conflict with knows I now have a loaded gun.....but if it fails to load he also now knows he has to do something quick while he has the advantage....really, it is best to carry "at the ready".......M

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom