• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RollTide

Dec 31, 2010
    Greenbelt
    It was a brand new rifle. I watched the guy take it out of the plastic wrapper. As far as dropping a round in the chamber and letting the bolt forawrd. The bolt still wouldn't close all the way. It had like a half inch seperation before being closed all the way. I mean it obviously wasnt the mags we just literall tried everything we could. When there was no round in the chamber the bolt could close all the way. The round wouldn't go completly in the chamber through. It would stick out like a MM. I don't know if this is how all AK's work because all I know is that when I rack a round in my MAK90 it goes bang everytime. I don't have to pay attention to the bolt. Keep the ideas coming!!!
    I had the same think happen with one of my AK's. The bolt goes almost to the point of fully closing but it wont. It was basically headspaced wrong. There wasn't enough room for the round to fully seat and bolt to close. I sent it back and they fixed it. Since then and 1000+ rounds later i have had no more problems.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    Wow, I should get on here more often. It's my Saiga rifle that is in question :(

To Clarify: I hand loaded a round into the chamber. It seemed to go all the way in. When dropping the bolt, the extractor does not go over the lip of the bullet and from looking at the design of the gun, the bolt has to go all the way forward in order to allow it to rotate and allow the bolt carrier to go all the way forward. Since the bolt is stuck behind the bullet (not grasping it), it's not going forward enough to rotate.

I tried with three different types of ammo and all hand fed so the magazine is a non issue.

The dealer I bought it from said that the importer (Russian American Armory) will fulfill the warranty and send me a new gun. I left a voicemail with them earlier.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    P.S. Glad you like the FAL. I was having separation anxiety even before the FAL's replacement turned out to me a lemon, lol. Thanks for the thread, I take in all the info on my guns as I can possibly get.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    To Clarify: I hand loaded a round into the chamber. It seemed to go all the way in. When dropping the bolt, the extractor does not go over the lip of the bullet and from looking at the design of the gun, the bolt has to go all the way forward in order to allow it to rotate and allow the bolt carrier to go all the way forward. Since the bolt is stuck behind the bullet (not grasping it), it's not going forward enough to rotate.

Hmm, so from your description it sounds like the extractor is causing the issue. If you manually insert the rim of a bullet under the extractor, and then close the bolt, does it rotate fully? Try this without the bolt carrier first, and then with. If so, a replacement extractor might be in order and that's an easy fix you could do at home. Or maybe the extractor is just stuck in place, can you move the extractor with your finger?

RAA used to be very good about warranty repair, but Mercury/Hermes is the new importer. It's not clear to me if RAA is still servicing their imports, or if Mercury/Hermes has taken over their contractual obligations.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    No, can't move the extractor with my finger which is why that's what I thought it was.

Mercury/Hermes is stamped on the side of the rifle but I was told by the dealer (Arms of America) to call RAA at the number they gave me so who knows...

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Wow, I should get on here more often. It's my Saiga rifle that is in question :(

I tried with three different types of ammo and all hand fed so the magazine is a non issue.

The dealer I bought it from said that the importer (Russian American Armory) will fulfill the warranty and send me a new gun. I left a voicemail with them earlier.

Sounds like a good deal. The armory that built the first and that still employs Mikhail Kalashnikov as a consultant should make good on their most famous product. :D

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    I've owned 2. An older EAA .223 and a new one in x39. Both functioned flawlessly. I ran factory and modified Euro mags in the .223 and modified Euro mags in the x39. Neither rifle had a feed ramp. Mags were modified at the forward wall ht. to get proper bullet up angle. They both worked fine thru hundreds (.223) and thousands (x39) of the cheapest steel cased rounds I tried. Never heard of anyone having problems with a "new" Saiga, other than break in. These rifles were for plinking...not SHTF, but I have no doubts that the x39 is utterly reliable. Alot of folks want to convert them as soon as they get them, so there's probably a few new looking "bubbas" out there.

just curious...why would this NOT be good as a SHTF rifle? that's kind of what I bought it for...

Sirex