• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Love to support the local shops and ones that support this site. However, most everyone has one eye on their wallet these days and there are more than a couple places outside our borders where very good deals can be had even when shipping and transfer fees are necessary.

please dont :spank:. I 'm just asking :D
    PM me if possible and I'll tell you what Im interested in.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    When you factor in shipping and transfer fees, many of our local shops are already a better deal, often better yet if you pay by cash or check. Plus it's WYSIWYG instead of crossing fingers and hoping.

I doubt many, if any, IPs will PM you if they have no idea what you want. Different shops carry different stuff.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Most IP are reasonable and will try to please all of us here. If you're asking a shop to match an internet price, which doesn't include a transfer fee and shipping, then you might have a hard time getting that done.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    When you factor in shipping and transfer fees, many of our local shops are already a better deal, often better yet if you pay by cash or check. Plus it's WYSIWYG instead of crossing fingers and hoping.

I doubt many, if any, IPs will PM you if they have no idea what you want. Different shops carry different stuff.

For real, break it down some and maybe someone will help.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Looking for an m&p 15/22 and a ruger 10/22 takedown. Found for $369 and $299 respectively c&c. No shipping, no transfer. Just a 1.5hr drive....

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Looking for an m&p 15/22 and a ruger 10/22 takedown. Found for $369 and $299 respectively c&c. No shipping, no transfer. Just a 1.5hr drive....

No question as to what I'd do. That's about a $200 savings from what I've seen.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Those prices are optimistic, I think lower than WalMart if I'm not mistaken. I can't see it being worthwhile for a MD LGS to try to match them. Take a ride to see the rifles in person. Could be that:
    1) the store had very, very few (1 each?) for that price
    2) the rifles are damaged
    3) the rifles are used, possibly customer returns due to functionality problems

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Some of the IPs will price match but do not advertise it and NOT over the phone EVER. I was talking to one of my favorite IPs about this and he said what will often happen is people will play multiple gun shops with price match against each other.

For example:

Joe calls LGS #1 and says LGS #2 has xyzgun for $100 and asks for a better deal. LGS #1 agrees to sell xyzgun for $99. Joe hangs up and calls LGS #3 and asks them to beat $99 so they agree to $98. 10 minutes after the first call to LGS #1 they are called back and asked to beat $98.

The IP said this happened all the time so they stopped quoting over the phone. Now if you take the time to develop a relationship with a particular store they will likely work with you more. This does not mean you have to buy 1000s of dollars of stock from them. I am not a big spender at all, but when I find a shop I like I make sure their experience with me is as enjoyable as my experience with them. Before I ask about a particular firearm, I make sure I am educated about pricing and fees and what I am personally willing to spend. I also always ask my LGS about the possibly of acquiring a firearm before I have one transferred. I currently have a rifle waiting to be picked up at 2ASales. It was something I could have bought cheaper online, but taking into account transfer and shipping, their price was within 5-10%. Not to mention I like Mark and he has always taken good care of me. The margin was well within my comfort zone. Just remember, the cheapest option is not always the least expensive.

Also, I experience EXACTLY this same attitude with my job. I generate quotes for people for services/goods and have to deal with difficult and easy people all the time.

To the OP, if you found deals that sweet within 90 minutes of you, go grab them... It's a no brainer!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Without naming names, one shop tried to sell me a particular gun for almost $800 while one within 30 minutes drive had the same thing for $600. I don't need price matching, but shops have to be cognizant of the going prices on guns. Telling me "no one could be selling it that cheaply" was vaguely hilarious.

I agree with Thaw that developing a good relationship with an FFL is worth some extra cash, because in crunch time, they'll be there for you. Everyone pulling price match stunts was screwed when all the shops ran out of room for transfers in September and there was no official policy on 8 day transfers... I always tried to deal honorably with my FLGS, and they returned the favor in spades to me during that crazy time. I am not saying you should pay crazy mark-ups, but I'd also advise not quibbling over fifty bucks on a $500-$1000 dollar gun.

If you're a steady customer who delivers a steady margin, are pleasant to deal with, and don't waste valuable time, you will generally get good deals. They won't always be amazing deals, and maybe some guns won't be possible, but they'll be good enough.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Without naming names, one shop tried to sell me a particular gun for almost $800 while one within 30 minutes drive had the same thing for $600. I don't need price matching, but shops have to be cognizant of the going prices on guns. Telling me "no one could be selling it that cheaply" was vaguely hilarious.

I agree with Thaw that developing a good relationship with an FFL is worth some extra cash, because in crunch time, they'll be there for you. Everyone pulling price match stunts was screwed when all the shops ran out of room for transfers in September and there was no official policy on 8 day transfers... I always tried to deal honorably with my FLGS, and they returned the favor in spades to me during that crazy time. I am not saying you should pay crazy mark-ups, but I'd also advise not quibbling over fifty bucks on a $500-$1000 dollar gun.

If you're a steady customer who delivers a steady margin, are pleasant to deal with, and don't waste valuable time, you will generally get good deals. They won't always be amazing deals, and maybe some guns won't be possible, but they'll be good enough.

Some guys quibble over much less than $50. Now at a gun show? Yeah, I might look around a bit before settling on something in normal times. But I agree with you that an LGS can be very beneficial when you need to do a return or repair or whatever. At that point you can be 'penny wise and dollar foolish'....and that's besides the issue I'd like to keep my LGS (all of them) in business if possible.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Gun shows are different, IMHO. They expect real haggling. That is the nature of the culture there, and part of the experience.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Do the drive and buy the guns. Please let us all know how it turns out.

I have gone too far in the past to find a shell game at the other end myself.

I try to be very polite and spend the majority of my funds at 1 shop or 2. In the long run that has served me well since they know I'm an easy sell but not a fool.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Some of the IPs will price match but do not advertise it and NOT over the phone EVER. I was talking to one of my favorite IPs about this and he said what will often happen is people will play multiple gun shops with price match against each other.

For example:

Joe calls LGS #1 and says LGS #2 has xyzgun for $100 and asks for a better deal. LGS #1 agrees to sell xyzgun for $99. Joe hangs up and calls LGS #3 and asks them to beat $99 so they agree to $98. 10 minutes after the first call to LGS #1 they are called back and asked to beat $98.

The IP said this happened all the time so they stopped quoting over the phone. Now if you take the time to develop a relationship with a particular store they will likely work with you more. This does not mean you have to buy 1000s of dollars of stock from them. I am not a big spender at all, but when I find a shop I like I make sure their experience with me is as enjoyable as my experience with them. Before I ask about a particular firearm, I make sure I am educated about pricing and fees and what I am personally willing to spend. I also always ask my LGS about the possibly of acquiring a firearm before I have one transferred. I currently have a rifle waiting to be picked up at 2ASales. It was something I could have bought cheaper online, but taking into account transfer and shipping, their price was within 5-10%. Not to mention I like Mark and he has always taken good care of me. The margin was well within my comfort zone. Just remember, the cheapest option is not always the least expensive.

Also, I experience EXACTLY this same attitude with my job. I generate quotes for people for services/goods and have to deal with difficult and easy people all the time.

To the OP, if you found deals that sweet within 90 minutes of you, go grab them... It's a no brainer!
    I wouldnt squabble over $1, thats ridiculous. But If i find something $100 cheaper somewhere and my LGS cant at least match it I would go local. I dont buy into the pitting one against the other, thats unfair.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    PM me where you are seeing take downs in stock. I've searched, should've bought the one that was here in the classifieds....

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    It never huts to ask.

Sometimes a LGS will be able to price match and still make a profit. Every shop has different overhead costs and needs to make a different profit margin per sale to keep the doors open.

I will freely admit that at times regular customers can get good occasional deals because I know that what I missed out on this time will come back in future sales. It really does pay to be loyal to the shops you like and frequent, even if it isn't us.

My only issue (and this is NOT directed at the OP) are shoppers who act like shop owners have a duty to give stuff away at or below cost because we are all on the same team, and then cry gouging when the LGS cant match online only deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom