Any Interest in a 4-hour Intro to IDPA Class?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Interested. Weekends would be easier, but could also do weekdays.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I don't have the official IDPA cardboard targets, but I have dozens of the paper ones that I'll gladly donate!

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    This is the price currently envisioned. It's not yet firm, yet I'm optimistic. IDPA is volunteer activity. The $10 figure comes from the club's current $5 daily guest fee plus an additional $5 to cover the cost of targets, pasters and other consumables. This is not a course to learn how to shoot. Anyone attending already needs to know how to shoot a handgun and have basic safe gun handling skills. The intent of this effort is to give the participants a taste of what it's like to shoot IDPA and equip them with the knowledge and confidence to participate on their own in an IDPA club level match.

This course is still in the planning stage, and it's not yet approved. However, it's intended as in addition to the IDPA Skill Builders course on the 23rd. The IDPA Skill Builder Courses are super and have been a great success, but we have too few of them. Also, an intent of this new effort is to keep it below the event level and thereby increase both its flexibility and frequency.

Yes, Cody is the man. In addition to being the IDPA Area Coordinator for MD & VA, he is the match director for IDPA at the NRA range and one of the two match directors for IDPA at TCSC. I'm going to focus on getting this course approved for TCSC first. I'll then see what I can do regarding other locations.

Bump for updates on TCSC range use approval? other clubs? etc?

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Bump for updates on TCSC range use approval? other clubs? etc?

I have an OK to proceed from the chairman of the IDPA committee at TCSC.

The course is complete, but needs to be tested for timing and any other adjustments needed. I expect to get this done the first week in Nov and start regular sessions the following week.

Only downside I've run into so far is that the cost will be $20 instead of the $10 I previously intended.

With respect to your question about other clubs, successful completion of this 4-hour course will qualify you for TCSC IDPA matches. I understand Peacemaker National Training Center (PNTC) in WV currently has no prerequisites to shoot in their IDPA matches. Anne Arundel Fish and Game (AAFG) near Annapolis has the following criteria:

"Every shooter who is new to action pistol shooting must complete a safety class and observe a match before shooting in an IDPA or USPSA match at AAFG for the first time. The purpose of the class is to ensure that every shooter receives the same instruction regarding match procedures, range safety and IDPA range commands. This requirement is waived for shooters who are current members of IDPA and are classified Marksman or higher in any division, or shooters who are current members of USPSA and are classified 20% or higher in any division. Shooters with current classifications will be asked to arrive half an hour early to their first match to receive a range briefing from the match director. All others, regardless of experience, background or skill level, must complete the safety class before shooting a match at AAFG. The class is run at least one Saturday every month."

Although I've not talked to any of the honchos at AAFG, I would be surprised if they were willing to change their above criteria.

Again, I would like to emphasize that this course is designed to provide someone interested in giving IDPA a try with IDPA specific knowledge and experience to instill confidence in attending, on their own, an IDPA club-level match.

I'll have some further info that I'll post this Friday in a new thread.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Also still very interested. Let me know if I can help with the prep. Now that I'm retired I have a bit more time available for fun stuff. :D

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Although I've not talked to any of the honchos at AAFG, I would be surprised if they were willing to change their above criteria.

AAF&G action bays are very tight, and their orientation focuses on confirming the shooters ability to maintain muzzle countrol through actions like moving uprange during the stage, reloads while keepig the muzzle level and pointed at the berm, etc. I agree that they're likely to retain that for themselves.

Nevertheless, these sorts of courses are useful for virtually everyone regardles of experience or skill level. And is still worth more than twice the price, even at $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom