• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I once toyed with becoming a Pharmacy Technician and called them. They wanted $13,000 for the courses and wouldn't guarantee I'd land a job if I passed. YMMV.

Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    I understand why they can't guarantee anything. That makes sense to me. I net with an admissions guy tonight. Kinda seems like a viable solution.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't have direct experience with that particular school but having taught at a trade school for a while, (not HVAC) I can say they're all pretty much the same and you need to look real close before you decide to shell out any money and/or comit to any program.

Unfortunately, even if you wind up with decent instructors and you are really committed to learning, you will still find yourself surrounded by a bunch of clowns on a free ride who could care less about learning anything. Usually, those schools are all about profit through putting bodies in seats as opposed to quality.

I'd recommend that you talk to a few HVAC contractors and see if any have programs where you can work for them and learn/train as you go. It might seem like the long way around but at least you'll be earning something as opposed to paying for training and in reality, most people graduate from trade school and find themselves starting off at the bottom anyway.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Try Sheet Metal Workers loc 100. Whatever you think about unions it is nice to have a human standard of living. Union cuz my house aint got wheels. At the end of the apprentice program you will be one of the best trained and highest paid people working with your hands. I will admit Steamfitters do make more though.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Agree with talking with at least three contractors. Ask where their recent good hires got training. You have to have decent instructor and lots of lab time. Stop by local supply house Aireco or United Refrigeration and ask some of the customers. Their are lots of ripoff schools.

sskijr

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2008
    If you want to learn HVAC, give local 486 a call. You don't have to pay anything for your education, and you are pretty much guaranteed a job for 5 years. I believe it's a five year program and you will be working all 5 years. (apprentices are cheap)

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I don't have direct experience with that particular school but having taught at a trade school for a while, (not HVAC) I can say they're all pretty much the same and you need to look real close before you decide to shell out any money and/or comit to any program.

Unfortunately, even if you wind up with decent instructors and you are really committed to learning, you will still find yourself surrounded by a bunch of clowns on a free ride who could care less about learning anything. Usually, those schools are all about profit through putting bodies in seats as opposed to quality.

I'd recommend that you talk to a few HVAC contractors and see if any have programs where you can work for them and learn/train as you go. It might seem like the long way around but at least you'll be earning something as opposed to paying for training and in reality, most people graduate from trade school and find themselves starting off at the bottom anyway.

Yes this is the way to go I started in the pipefitter/sprinklerfitter trade this way answered an AD for helper got a great foreman I was willing to learn 7 yrs later I was a foreman and obtained my NICET and with that I can go anywhere and get a job as a fitter

SSJ

Sep 16, 2011
    MD
    I went there for IT (computers.) Changed my life. It was the single best decision I ever made in my life. HOWEVER - it is what you make of it. They don't guarantee a job because most people don't follow through with their program to the end. I don't know anything about HVAC program, but the accelerated IT program was awesome. I don't want to give too much of my personal info out there but from graduation day to now (4 years post grad) I have increased my salary from what it was when I started school by $65,000. But that's because I took the skills I was taught and applied them. I'm now a Network Engineer for a medical provider.

Cons - Expensive as crap. A LOT of work to keep up with. Especially if you are working full time and doing the night classes like I was. I pretty much didn't see my family for almost 2 years. But it was worth it. Also you will hear a lot of negative talk about Tesst. For the most part, much of what you will hear is TRUE. People that talk about Tesst taking their money and them not getting a job. What you will not hear from those people is that they dropped out and didn't finish the program. Also remember - you are being taught SKILLS TOWARDS A PROFESSION. YOU ARE NOT IN A REAL COLLEGE. (Unless you take the 2 year AA course which they offer.) MOST OF THE CREDITS you receive at Tesst WILL NOT BE TRANSFERABLE TO A REGULAR COLLEGE. That's not to say all of them aren't. Some will, some won't. I think that is what most people don't like or understand. They think if they do 40 credits at Tesst they have 40 credits towards an AA degree. WRONG.

-Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom