• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    ok so long story short.. i went skeeting today.. i was horrible at it.. i think i hit like 8 or 9 out of 50... lol... but yea... i loved it.. it's a very cheap alternative and i think more fun than just target shooting with the AR.... and ALOT closer to me than say AGC/SEG ranges...

so i've been looking for a remy 870... reason is when it comes to buying shotguns.. all the threads seem to go back to the remy 870 and moss 500...

i read a few thread on other forums... somethign about the walmart 870's are made somewhere else?.. and not the same as say a 870 from bass pro?...

the one at walmart was like 277.XX
    the same one for bass pro was 349.XX

looking for one in black (syn stock?).... NOT wood...

where would the best place to pick one up?.. i wouldn't mind used.... pawn shops maybe?... which ones around my area (odenton) has guns?

also.. last question... what kind of choke should i get for it?.. do i even need one?...

if i was to get a O/U... what's a cheap alternative?

how bot a semi... like a remy 1100?

thanks in advance

maybes?
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_64/products_id/52837

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/13181

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    dan at gunconnection? although if you shoot more sporting clays or move on to doubles a pump gets annoying quick. down the road you'll probably want a over/under or semi to make life easier and that score shoot up. basspro does pricematch if it's the same gun though soo..could do that. otherwise i'm thinkin a rem870 is a rem870 and i'd buy where i could find it the cheapest. alucard found a sweet deal on his ureka from dicks so check them too.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    looking for one in black (syn stock?).... NOT wood...

Word of caution if you're buying this for clay games: Make sure the default length stock fits you without any adjustment if you get a synthetic stock. It's harder to adjust those if it's needed than it is a wood stock.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    i am.....oooo really.. didn't know that... thanks... well wait a sec.. i thought all the stocks were the same.... i'm a 5' 8 150 guy... i guess my arms are prob shorter than the average... and what's the "proper" fitment?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i am.....oooo really.. didn't know that... thanks... well wait a sec.. i thought all the stocks were the same.... i'm a 5' 8 150 guy... i guess my arms are prob shorter than the average... and what's the "proper" fitment?

the proper "fitment" is one of comfort. if it ain't comfortable, it ain't consistent. if it ain't consistent, it isn't comfortable. not all stocks are the same, some thicker, some padded with different material, generally most are the same length. personally i installed a six-point collapsable on my mossberg. i think closed chokes are the preferred in skeet, there again, i don't shoot at clay anymore.

i've heard good things about the remington. W.

DLiller

Jun 29, 2009
    Maryland, Florida
    If I were you I would definately go with an over under or semi. Pump is ok for singles trap but sucks for skeet. Semi would be a lot cheaper than OU. Check out AuctionArms.com, people seem to be unloading shotguns on the cheap.

DLiller

Jun 29, 2009
    Maryland, Florida
    Check out the thread Used Long gun sale.

(1) Used Beretta ES100 12ga Semi-Automatic Shotgun
    w/24" Barrel and Camo Stocks
    $400.00 + Tax
    (1) Used Stoeger 2000 12ga Semi-Automatic Shotgun
    w/26" Barrel and Synthetic Stocks
    $300.00 + Tax

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    When wingshooting, either clay birds or real birds, a heavier shotgun will swing better than a lighter one.

Once you get a heavier object moving it keeps moving.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Like smokey said, a pump will get annoying for skeet or sporting clays. Get a Semi-auto, your shoulder will thank you later.
    Yeah i know its only low brass bird shot, but after a 100 shot sporting clays round the semi-auto makes the difference.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I started out with a cheap 870 express, and it breaks singles in trap just fine, but is a little tough on some fast doubles in clay games, so I picked up a Beretta AL391 for about $750, and it is wonderful, It will run all 25 on the trap field assuming I do my part, and has proven reliable and consistent in clay games, and cycles fast. It is a little light, but points and swings very quickly, and suits my shooting style well. For most, a heavier gun with a sporting rib and mid bead set up would probably be the better way to go, but I learned on field guns and have just gotten used to them. Beretta also includes a ton of spacers to allow you to fit the stock drop, cant and LOP to most any shooter, and includes a whole set of choke tubes, normally about $100 worth of extra stuff Remington does not include. For skeet, I normally use a cylinder choke, IC for clays, MOD for trap, and occasionally Full for handicap and doubles. As Haoleboy said, a semi also cuts out a lot of recoil, with light sporting loads, and my limbsaver pad, mine kicks less than most ARs, and is comfortable to shoot several rounds of clays or trap with.

If you are looking for a great gun that will take years to outgrow, Beretta semi's are the way to go, as far as O/U, useable beginner's guns start about $1500-$2000, they are simply expensive for anything that fits and shoots well, but for a used Beretta starting at about $1000 or less, you would be well served until you get a few years under your belt, or decide to try to compete, then you may realize the advantages a pricey O/U would offer.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    Any particular reason you dont want a wood stock?

never been a fan of wood...car trim, furnature... etc etc.... i think the black syn looks so much better...

unless the performance is really THAT much different....

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Check out Miller's Gun shop in Delaware. They have a good selection of guns (new & used) at great prices and no sales tax. Or check some of the pawn shops also.

It's personal preferance on the Semi or O/U question. I shoot both and they suit me fine. I shoot a 12ga Beretta Teknys Gold for sporting clays & trap, and a 20ga Weatherby Orion III for skeet. Yeah, the O/U hits harder, but that's part of the fun I think.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    Bass Pro has a Stoeger O/U for $349....on one of the display octagons....not behind the counter....might be a good starter.

i was just there last night... i didn't see it.. hmmm i work next to arundell mills might have to go check it out again

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom