• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    After researching and trying various guns for several months I came to the following choices:
    Purpose : Clays ( Trap , maybe skeet), maybe home defense, maybe range slug shooting
    Level : beginner
    Type : Semi - auto
    budget : under $1000 ( preferably less)
    furniture : synthetic

I am pretty much certain I like Berettas :
    Beretta 3901 Standard Synthetic 28'' - $645.00
    and Beretta AL391 Urika 2 Synthetic, 12GA, 28", 3" - - $1000

both are in my price range. Is there a compelling reason to spend extra $350 for the Urika ??

There is also Remington 1187 Sportsman for around $600 But it seems a bit heavy. I likes the new Versa.. but its a bit overpriced imho. ( $1200 in Dick's)

what do u think ?

Also why do Beretta come with one bead ? is it hard to put one in ?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    If you get the Mossberg 930C (c= combo) it comes with 2 bbl. 18" for Home Defense and 28" and multiple chokes for trap or hunting. they run @ $550 +/- and its a great shotgun. I have one and its excellent.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    If you get the Mossberg 930C (c= combo) it comes with 2 bbl. 18" for Home Defense and 28" and multiple chokes for trap or hunting. they run @ $550 +/- and its a great shotgun. I have one and its excellent.

I've tried Mossberg pump and I liked it a great deal. I never seen the semi - auto one. How do they compare to Remi/Berettas ? The combo kit looks nice, did you get it online? or thre is a store around here that has it? ( shipping to an FFL is another $50)

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I've tried Mossberg pump and I liked it a great deal. I never seen the semi - auto one. How do they compare to Remi/Berettas ? The combo kit looks nice, did you get it online? or thre is a store around here that has it? ( shipping to an FFL is another $50)

I had to order mine through Gun Connection. I like the 930 alot!! I don't ahve alot of experience with Semi...its the only one I own.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    Mossberg could def. work. I just need to try it. Heck, I was convinced that 1100 was the best choice until I gave it a shot.

Do u know if the Beretta is as versatile as the Mossberg. if one day I decide to put a rifled barell on it and shoot some slugs?

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    It is not possible to own one gun that will do all that you noted and do any of it well. The one gun theory truly is a myth. That said, I would recommend buying a gun for the discipline that you plan to shoot the most. If that's trap, buy a trap gun. If you want an autoloader for trap, the 1100 Trap gun fits your budget, as would a used Beretta 391 Trap. Don't worry about the weight, as heavy is a good thing in a target gun. In time, you will add other guns to your safe that you will use for other things. One step at a time and you will get to where you are going.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    It is not possible to own one gun that will do all that you noted and do any of it well. The one gun theory truly is a myth. That said, I would recommend buying a gun for the discipline that you plan to shoot the most. If that's trap, buy a trap gun. If you want an autoloader for trap, the 1100 Trap gun fits your budget, as would a used Beretta 391 Trap. Don't worry about the weight, as heavy is a good thing in a target gun. In time, you will add other guns to your safe that you will use for other things. One step at a time and you will get to where you are going.

Thanks blackthorne, your reply if helpful . Do you know if Beretta 391 trap is the same thing as Urika 2? or its a diff gun altogether. Also I don't have much experience with shotguns and would not feel comfortable buying a used once , unless I buy one from a trusted source.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I believe that the Urika II is a field gun. The 391 Trap is basically the same action, but comes in either a 30" or 32" BBl. It has a wood stock. The stock is longer and has a higher comb than the field gun. It will shoot a bit higher than a field gun to compensate somewhat for shooting at a rising target. The Trap version generally costs a few hundred dollars more than a synthetic field gun. You might want to go to PG Trap & Skeet and rent one to see if that's what you like. PG also has excellent prices on Berettas. While you are there, also chech their bulletin board. There are usually several used guns for sale. If you go the used route, escpecially with a target shotgun, take someone wioth you who knows target guns. Many of them have been altered in some way or another. Sometimes that can be a good thing and sometimes not.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I believe that the Urika II is a field gun. The 391 Trap is basically the same action, but comes in either a 30" or 32" BBl. It has a wood stock. The stock is longer and has a higher comb than the field gun. It will shoot a bit higher than a field gun to compensate somewhat for shooting at a rising target. The Trap version generally costs a few hundred dollars more than a synthetic field gun. You might want to go to PG Trap & Skeet and rent one to see if that's what you like. PG also has excellent prices on Berettas. While you are there, also chech their bulletin board. There are usually several used guns for sale. If you go the used route, escpecially with a target shotgun, take someone wioth you who knows target guns. Many of them have been altered in some way or another. Sometimes that can be a good thing and sometimes not.

+1 on PG S&T place.. nice people (that is if you go Beretta route). Beretta are nice.. they have started making some cheaper models to compete w/ remingtons and mossbergs. if you go w/ any of those.. they are all good first shotguns.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    +2 on PG.

They have many of the Berettas available for rental ~$10 IIRC. Shotguns preferences are very subjective. I tried the Beretta auto and did not like it one bit. Plenty of other people do.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Used Remi 11-87 with a 26/28" barrel and Rem choke...

It appears that the OP is looking to mostly shoot Trap. This would not be suitable for Trap.

Many people who are just starting out make the mistake of thinking that nearly any shotgun will make a good Trap gun. In short ordeer they learn that this is not the case and end up buying a gun designed for the game.

The 1187 was made in a Trap version at one time. That would be one way to go. The 1100 is still available in a Trap model. There is a world of difference between the trap and field model when shooting Trap.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    i have the urika 2...

i can't really tell you about the 3901... but i can tell you that everyone who's ever shot my shottie LOVES IT.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    eh.... i get it. Unless I want to go trap - pro.. there is no point getting a trap gun.. they'll cost 2-3k and are dedicated for trap with raised rail , stock... etc

I think I'll get a cheaper field gun for now.... shoot the heck out of it .. and if get addicted to trap.. maybe then invest in something like a "trap gun"... for the beginner a Mossberg semi-auto or a cheap Beretta will do..

thanks all !!

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    It appears that the OP is looking to mostly shoot Trap. This would not be suitable for Trap.

Many people who are just starting out make the mistake of thinking that nearly any shotgun will make a good Trap gun. In short ordeer they learn that this is not the case and end up buying a gun designed for the game.

The 1187 was made in a Trap version at one time. That would be one way to go. The 1100 is still available in a Trap model. There is a world of difference between the trap and field model when shooting Trap.

I mean if he's just doing it for recreation and not for competition, whats the point in spending 2k+ on a dedicated trap gun when he can get a multi-purpose gun?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I don't see where blackthorne is saying to spend 2000 bucks,he specifically said a 1100 or 1187 both of which can be had for well under 1000 on the used market and maybe even new. You can also add an additional barrel for greater versatility.
    His point on a high shooting gun is spot on, as you improve in trap you will require your gun to shoot higher especially in handicap.
    I shoot a 1100 and a Model 12 both of which cost well under a grand, I do have them set up to shoot fairly high and manage to shoot well. Can you have fun with a field gun?, absolutely, but if you shoot regular enough you will find yourself wanting to compete and the field gun will limit you.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I mean if he's just doing it for recreation and not for competition, whats the point in spending 2k+ on a dedicated trap gun when he can get a multi-purpose gun?

Yeah... I don't know where the $2K figure came from. A used excellent condition Remington 1100 Trap should be available for about $500-600. To that you could add a Skeet bbl and shoot Skeet or do some hunting and have a dandy HD gun.

A lot of beginners get caught in the trap of saving a few dollars and buying a "Dick's Special" to shoot Trap with, only to buy another gun in short order once they understand the game. Then they end up with one gun that they don't shoot at all or sell it at a big loss.

I really do wish there was such an animal as a multi-purpose shotgun. That way I could own only one instead of 45 or so. Nah, not really.

You can lead a horse to water, but......

Good luck just the same.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown

One other thought.... even if it's "just doing it for recreation", don't you still want to do the best you can do and do it more comfortably? Even when I shoot "just fart'n around", I like to fart around well.

Last edited:

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I suppose, but how many people really will max out their skills out before they out shoot the gun? I have never shot trap personally, so I guess this is why I don't understand, but for skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays, etc., my Remi 870 works fine, and Kevmo's Urika 2 shoots incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom