Another home invasion today. Where do you keep your home defense pistols at?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Your argument regarding "deciding what your heard, getting your thoughts/night vision together" can work both ways...people accidentally shoot family members.

At the end of the day no level of preparedness is fool proof...period.

So why have firearms? If you arent identifying your target you've failed already. You dont just shot at the dark figure in the hall way.

At the end of the day having a firearm hidden near the bed or in the safe isnt full proof. But to say your firearm is accessible in 30 seconds in a safe just isnt factual. My firearm when I sleep is.

I would lump a failure to train and be responsible with a firearm into the same debate about having one readily accesible.

Do what you need. If I had kids wondering around I'd likely secure my firearm different then now. For me and my situation the having one not in a safe works.

But to call those with firearms not locked in a safe paranoid is kind of a lame duck arguement...or atleast it is with the points you've introduced.

There are plenty of cases even in the local area where home invasions were done during the day and at night. The most recent one to memory is the lady who defended herself from a man in the middle of the day as he broken in with an AK. The old tow truck company owner woke up a few months ago to someone standing over him in his room....he's probably glad he didnt have to access his firearm in his safe.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    So why have firearms? If you arent identifying your target you've failed already. You dont just shot at the dark figure in the hall way.

At the end of the day having a firearm hidden near the bed or in the safe isnt full proof. But to say your firearm is accessible in 30 seconds in a safe just isnt factual. My firearm when I sleep is.

I would lump a failure to train and be responsible with a firearm into the same debate about having one readily accesible.

Do what you need. If I had kids wondering around I'd likely secure my firearm different then now. For me and my situation the having one not in a safe works.

But to call those with firearms not locked in a safe paranoid is kind of a lame duck arguement...or atleast it is with the points you've introduced.

There are plenty of cases even in the local area where home invasions were done during the day and at night. The most recent one to memory is the lady who defended herself from a man in the middle of the day as he broken in with an AK. The old tow truck company owner woke up a few months ago to someone standing over him in his room....he's probably glad he didnt have to access his firearm in his safe.

You REALLY like to argue a point that you and I agree on...I concede;)

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    BTW, where the heck do you people live, anyway? That's just crazy! I could NEVER get a good night's sleep if I had that kind of action going on in my neighborhood. I think you need to seriously think about relocating.:cool:
    Use this, is your area actually actually safe? Or do you just not hear about the things that happen in your neighborhood?
    http://www.spotcrime.com/

I have my guns in a quick-access safe. If I had a Maryland CCW I would have a gun on me most of the time, but I'm not allowed to defend myself in Maryland. :mad54:

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    You are the type to argue a point...no matter the point...even one that you and I agree on...I never said EVERYONE in this thread is paranoid...I simply said some...and by some, you and I agree. For all I know someone has woken up in the middle of the night with a gun to their head...whoops, even in that case, if you have a gun strapped to your hip...you're dead.

Your argument regarding "deciding what your heard, getting your thoughts/night vision together" can work both ways...people accidentally shoot family members.

At the end of the day no level of preparedness is fool proof...period.

TapRackBank...for some reason I picture your truck with a wrap around push bar on in...you sure you aren't my neighbor?

Yes, but you cast these aspersions without offering any context whatsoever. Is there not a difference between living in the middle of nowhere, and living right in the middle of a bad neighborhood in Baltimore City? Surely, you would appreciate that the threat level is significantly higher in the latter.

And you're also ignoring the fact that carrying a pistol on your person is the ONLY safe way of ensuring it is not accessed by anyone unauthorized to do so (e.g., little children, roommates, guests, etc). If a friend visits and brings their kid with them, they might be able to wander off and find a pistol in a drawer, but they would never be able to wander off and find it in my freaking pocket.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I live in what most would consider a very safe neighborhood, but there's still guns and various other home defense tools in strategic areas all around the house just like smoke detectors.
    My home is my castle!

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I have a J frame s&w in a paddle holster on my hip right now as I sit on the couch in fleece pants and a hoodie. It's my pajama rig and not uncomfortable. All that's really required for my dress is a drawstring, gun is SS, not an airweight. My wife is finally getting used to the fact that I carry at home and that makes me happy.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Yes, but you cast these aspersions without offering any context whatsoever. Is there not a difference between living in the middle of nowhere, and living right in the middle of a bad neighborhood in Baltimore City? Surely, you would appreciate that the threat level is significantly higher in the latter.

And you're also ignoring the fact that carrying a pistol on your person is the ONLY safe way of ensuring it is not accessed by anyone unauthorized to do so (e.g., little children, roommates, guests, etc). If a friend visits and brings their kid with them, they might be able to wander off and find a pistol in a drawer, but they would never be able to wander off and find it in my freaking pocket.

If you can prove that everyone in this thread lives in a bad area then I will agree with you.

Even if they do other measures can be taken to give them time to access a weapon...as stated earlier.

You guys act like I am anti gun or something...relax

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    If you can prove that everyone in this thread lives in a bad area then I will agree with you.

Even if they do other measures can be taken to give them time to access a weapon...as stated earlier.

You guys act like I am anti gun or something...relax

But you said:

"I lock my doors, set my alarm, and hope the dogs will give enough warning. If not I'll be prepared to save me and mine."

The fact that you want it practically in your hands even after doing this makes you paranoid.

Words have meanings. You didn't say "Unless you live in Baltimore City, the fact that..." You made the judgement that people in the thread were paranoid without any sort of qualification that you're now trying to use to backpedal with. It's as simple as that. Now if that's not what you meant to say, and you want to apologize for the miscommunication that insulted various members, that would be a different story.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    But you said:

Words have meanings. You didn't say "Unless you live in Baltimore City, the fact that..." You made the judgement that people in the thread were paranoid without any sort of qualification that you're now trying to use to backpedal with. It's as simple as that. Now if that's not what you meant to say, and you want to apologize for the miscommunication that insulted various members, that would be a different story.

I didnt "backpedal" anything...I simply stated that if you can prove that EVERYONE lives in a bad area you have an argument...not that it is valid.

Dont twist my words...they are what they are.

I dont give a damn where you live...you can make other provisions to make it difficult for people to get in your house and give you time to get your gun...now go ahead and try and twist my words for a third time.

atreeves

Apr 6, 2011
    I think a few people are getting a little worked up over this. I think in general, people must decide for themselves what level of "prepared" they need to be. I would suggest that "preparing" to the point that you can't live your life in a satisfactory way (which in itself is up to you and what you want), makes you paranoid.

I live in a safe neighborhood. I have guns in the house, sometimes I even keep them on me. I don't do this because I feel that an army of ninja's are going to bust through the door, I do this to acclimate to having the gun around, being comfortable with it, and seeing how it affects normal daily stuff. This is generally when I'm lounging around or killing time before or after work.

If my living arrangements were different (ie kids), that would be a totally different lifestyle and first and foremost, I think people must remember not to make things MORE unsafe when trying to secure themselves (accessible to kids, etc). If you choose to have guns around your house, so be it. If you choose to never open the blinds to prevent a sniper from taking you out... :tinfoil2:

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Just the nightstands -- M&P40 on my side, P29 on my wife's. I used to carry all the time -- in and out of the house -- but my recent move to MD put a damper on that.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Lately I've been wearing mine around the house. I thought about putting several around the house in various safes but not sure I could get to any quick enough if someone rushed the door at dinnertime. I installed an alarm and camera system (unfortunately after some cleaned my detached garage of 4-wheelers and other items that weren't bolted down!) so I'm not worried about a late night break in. I know the odds are extremely remote but the evening home invasion is a scary thought.

atreeves

Apr 6, 2011
    I know the odds are extremely remote but the evening home invasion is a scary thought.

Agreed. When I was about 12yo, I was staying at a friends house in the livingroom. We were up at like 4am and had been watching Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street marathons when some dude tried to bust into the sliding glass door about 4ft from us. Needless to say, 4am, a night full or horror flicks, and a dude in a ski mask trying to bust in, its a scene I've never forgotten.

I don't live in fear, but for the same reason I keep blankets, water, fix-a-flat and tow equipment in my truck, I keep a gun or two in the house. If I can be reasonably prepared for something, I will be.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Agreed. When I was about 12yo, I was staying at a friends house in the livingroom. We were up at like 4am and had been watching Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street marathons when some dude tried to bust into the sliding glass door about 4ft from us. Needless to say, 4am, a night full or horror flicks, and a dude in a ski mask trying to bust in, its a scene I've never forgotten.

I don't live in fear, but for the same reason I keep blankets, water, fix-a-flat and tow equipment in my truck, I keep a gun or two in the house. If I can be reasonably prepared for something, I will be.

Holy mother of sweet baby jeebus that has to have been the scariest thing imagineable!!! Man, that woulda messed me up something fierce for years if that happened to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom