• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ditto.

If you like it, get another.

If this was not a case with my wife, I'd certainly just nab a second one of the same gun, set up exactly the same way. My G17 only passes this test, because the 17 and 19 tactically are basically identical for operation. And I have them setup with the exact same parts for the controls, trigger, sights, etc.

Both are sound approaches .

User choice between having a duplicate , or having a measure of diversity , with a related Glock variant . Share same manual of arms , trigger pull , sights , etc will carry over most of your familiarity . Go slightly smaller with G 26 , or slightly larger with a G 17 , or whatever the model # for the Practical - Tactical or long slide .

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I want a larger gun for off body carry than what I have for IWB. I have a Gen 3 G19 that is my range / home defense gun and I love it. It feels comfortable in my hands, I’m accurate with it, I like the trigger pull, etc. It has the Austrian proof stamps and while I know most people don’t think it’s anything special I do treat it that way so I’m reluctant to put it in a holster and wear out the finish. Since I like my G19 I thought it would make sense to buy another to dedicate to off body carry.

If I did this should I buy another Gen 3 so that it is completely identical to what I’m familiar with? Should I get the newer Gen 5 which would require a slight learning curve? Or is it completely ridiculous to have two of the exact same model and should I consider something a little bit different like a G17 or G19x?
    I have 2 VP9's I use as both carry and home. I find the grip and feel for each is exactly the same. And they are very comfortable for me to shoot.
    The Full Sized VP9 is what I carry on ocassions when it is very cold, and I'll be in my truck or on the motorcycle with a leather on. I'll use either the jacket to carry it, or a shoulder holster. The second VP9 is an SK model, which has a slightly smaller grip length and barrel. That I'll wear OWB with a long tail shirt or jacket.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Nothing wrong with two of the same gun or similar gun. I have 2 g19s also.

Also, there isn't really a learning curve between Gen 5 and gen 3. The increased grip texture, lack of finger grooves, and ambi controls don't really have much of a learning curve.

The trigger is different, but it's not radically different. I think overall it is a better trigger anyway. So if you have 20,000 rounds on gen 3 trigger and it's really a part of who you are, then there may be a slight learning curve. But you should be able to pick it up and operate it at a high level with no issue.

I'd get the gen 5 MOS. Even if you don't use a red dot you'll have the option if you ever change your mind.

EXIT WOUND

Sep 22, 2011
    I want a larger gun for off body carry than what I have for IWB. I have a Gen 3 G19 that is my range / home defense gun and I love it. It feels comfortable in my hands, I’m accurate with it, I like the trigger pull, etc. It has the Austrian proof stamps and while I know most people don’t think it’s anything special I do treat it that way so I’m reluctant to put it in a holster and wear out the finish. Since I like my G19 I thought it would make sense to buy another to dedicate to off body carry.

If I did this should I buy another Gen 3 so that it is completely identical to what I’m familiar with? Should I get the newer Gen 5 which would require a slight learning curve? Or is it completely ridiculous to have two of the exact same model and should I consider something a little bit different like a G17 or G19x?
    Strictly for self defense use what you shoot on the regular until it takes its last breath. It's a tool. If you want variety then of course go get what you think looks bad ass....

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Have you considered a Palmetto State Armory Dagger? It's a Gen 3 Glock 19 clone (they also make a G45 & G17 version).

I have the Dagger Full Size - S (Glock 45 clone) and love it. Great range toy. PSA runs killer deals, a massive amount of different slide colors/cuts/optic cuts/barrels/etc. As an example, mine is in tan, threaded barrel, optic cut for RMR, came with 3 mags, and a nice carrying case, I paid $389. I regularly see deals with like 10 magazines and carrying case for under $400.

View attachment 410457
    It appears PSA has rounded the grip a little so it is less board-like.

Can you confirm?

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    It appears PSA has rounded the grip a little so it is less board-like.

Can you confirm?
    I'll be honest, I sold my G45 and G19 because I never used them. So I don't have a Glock here to lay next to it side by side.

Gladly would meet up and let you check out the Dagger and shoot it (if you feed it).

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A poster said, "You do you". Good advice. I've duplicated a couple guns through the years, not so much now.

Another application is a different pistol for different wear or circumstances.

I use and prefer a 45 ACP CCO (Commander upper and Officer frame) 1911. Been using mostly the 1911 for many years. I also use a 9mm Sig 365, depending on my dress and activity. The Sig disappears. I shoot pool with it and no one notices...which is the objective. The 1911 you would really need to look at just the right moment. You would probably think I have a Leatherman on my belt when dressed for it. It is just a bigger gun and comparable to the G19 so it doesn't disappear as readily as the 365.

I like both. I practice with both. I feel adequately armed and confident with both. I am proficient with both. The muscle memory will take over when you dress with and take hold of each one.

You do you.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for all of the feedback. Seems like I can’t go wrong with either option. Leaning towards Gen 5 to have a little variation. Now the struggle to decide between standard or MOS…

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    Thanks for all of the feedback. Seems like I can’t go wrong with either option. Leaning towards Gen 5 to have a little variation. Now the struggle to decide between standard or MOS…
    When I went with a gen 5 to complement my gen 3, I chose the MOS model. Not necessarily because I was convinced using a red dot optic at that time, but I wanted the flexibility. Since then, I've added an optic but I can always remove it too. It was only $75 more for me at that time so I took the plunge. If you don't get the MOS and decide to get a red dot optic later on, there are options to either mill the slide or use the dove tail rear sight mounting plates. I've used the DPP ones with success and minimal cost.

Good luck.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I personally have a love/hate relationship with Glocks and specifically the G19. It's an ugly block with a crappier trigger out of the box, with an awkward grip angle - but the aftermarket solves many of the deficiencies and it's probably the smallest most concealable battle gun (as compared to a smaller protection pistol - if this makes sense). There's almost always a better pistol based upon intended purpose, but for a generic do-it all reliable pistol, the G19 is hard to ignore. I carry mine from time to time. :shrug:

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I personally have a love/hate relationship with Glocks and specifically the G19. It's an ugly block with a crappier trigger out of the box, with an awkward grip angle - but the aftermarket solves many of the deficiencies and it's probably the smallest most concealable battle gun (as compared to a smaller protection pistol - if this makes sense). There's almost always a better pistol based upon intended purpose, but for a generic do-it all reliable pistol, the G19 is hard to ignore. I carry mine from time to time. :shrug:
    My Gen5 G19 had a better trigger out if the box than my Gen4 G19 did after my tinkering.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    My Gen5 G19 had a better trigger out if the box than my Gen4 G19 did after my tinkering.

What I personally noticed, in my Gen4, I installed the 3.5# connector and Zev trigger and it made quite an improvement. I did the same in my Gen5 and after one range trip, took out the connector. It didn't need it and I didn't like what it did to the trigger pull.

In my Gen5, I installed the Zev magwell and honestly, that was a worthwhile upgrade.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you're going to buy a Glock and you don't already qualify for blue label pricing, join GSSf for $35 and you get one pistol a year at Blue Label price.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You know you just enable people to buy more Glocks. :D
    I'm completely good with spreading the Gospel of Gaston.

If I can help people afford a perfectly valid, well made defensive weapon, I believe I have a responsibility to do so. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom