• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Okay, first not your normal thread on expungement, second I am not a lawyer but have spoken with one about this and read cases that are going on. This thread is a warning to those who had a disqualifying conviction expunged and purchased regulated firearms.

As of the last month the MSP is following the standards for federal law on expungements and their relation to 2nd amendment rights. The case that set the standard is Wyoming Crank , it states that for the ATF/FBI to accept an expungement for firearm purposes it must be 100% total removal and destruction of the records, even a post it note on the fridge does not qualify. The case is older, but it was used by MSP against someone who recently appealed a denial ( dec 2022 ), so its what the MSP are using now. It will be going to the circuit court, so there is a chance it gets stopped there.

It turns out that MD state expungements are not a total destruction and removal of the records, there is a post it note somewhere on some fridge in the state ( some sort of records the SP can see ). The records of the case are removed from the normal CJIS system in the state, so the feds cant see it any more ( at least I believe at this point they cant ). But because the MSP sees a post it note on the fridge they are denying people based on the wyoming case. Again the state says we know there was an expungement, so that means it is not total, no guns for you per fed law even though the feds cant see it.

This does ( maybe ) mean if you moved to a state other than maryland there is no way for anyone to see the post it note. Or if maryland did away with the MSP doing regulated handgun approvals/background checks and went back to just a NCIS check as the feds cant see it you would be fine ( maybe ).

What the problem is, is if you have an expungement for a conviction of a disqualifying crime and have purchased regulated firearms and you try to buy a new one in maryland. They might deny you, the lawyer I spoke to says there is no rhyme or reason on who is getting caught/denied right now. So if your unlucky and they deny you and then look back at your 77r list, they could decide you cant have anything they have approved before.

The law office maybe/is working on getting the law changed in maryland to make expungements total. They maybe also trying to get the state ( MGA ) to enforce the law that says no one can even look for the post it note with out a court order, which is what law actually says.

If you fall in to this I would recommend you call a lawyer, the one I have spoken to and is involved with the 77r denial appeal ( not me ) maybe a good one to talk to ( PM me for their info ). Every name that can be added to list of potential problems gives it more power. Also the Lawyer was recommended by Mark P, but it is not an MSI case the guy is doing it out of his own pocket.

Edit, below is the bill to change expungments to be treated as the charge has never existed. Please reach out to your MGA critters.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just to clarify...

You are saying someone who had a CONVICTION expunged, not someone who may have had a nolle pros/stet expunged.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Okay, first not your normal thread on expungement, second I am not a lawyer but have spoken with one about this and read cases that are going on. This thread is a warning to those who had a disqualifying conviction expunged and purchased regulated firearms.

As of the last month the MSP is following the standards for federal law on expungements and their relation to 2nd amendment rights. The case that set the standard is Wyoming Crank , it states that for the ATF/FBI to accept an expungement for firearm purposes it must be 100% total removal and destruction of the records, even a post it note on the fridge does not qualify. The case is older, but it was used by MSP against someone who recently appealed a denial ( dec 2022 ), so its what the MSP are using now. It will be going to the circuit court, so there is a chance it gets stopped there.

It turns out that MD state expungements are not a total destruction and removal of the records, there is a post it note somewhere on some fridge in the state ( some sort of records the SP can see ). The records of the case are removed from the normal CJIS system in the state, so the feds cant see it any more ( at least I believe at this point they cant ). But because the MSP sees a post it note on the fridge they are denying people based on the wyoming case. Again the state says we know there was an expungement, so that means it is not total, no guns for you per fed law even though the feds cant see it.

This does ( maybe ) mean if you moved to a state other than maryland there is no way for anyone to see the post it note. Or if maryland did away with the MSP doing regulated handgun approvals/background checks and went back to just a NCIS check as the feds cant see it you would be fine ( maybe ).

What the problem is, is if you have an expungement for a conviction of a disqualifying crime and have purchased regulated firearms and you try to buy a new one in maryland. They might deny you, the lawyer I spoke to says there is no rhyme or reason on who is getting caught/denied right now. So if your unlucky and they deny you and then look back at your 77r list, they could decide you cant have anything they have approved before.

The law office maybe/is working on getting the law changed in maryland to make expungements total. They maybe also trying to get the state ( MGA ) to enforce the law that says no one can even look for the post it note with out a court order, which is what law actually says.

If you fall in to this I would recommend you call a lawyer, the one I have spoken to and is involved with the 77r denial appeal ( not me ) maybe a good one to talk to ( PM me for their info ). Every name that can be added to list of potential problems gives it more power. Also the Lawyer was recommended by Mark P, but it is not an MSI case the guy is doing it out of his own pocket.
    So ... as I understand what OP said ,,, I can move to another state after expungement and get a CCW ?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Sounds like in Maryland an expungement is not an expungement.

2: to efface completely : destroy

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    So ... as I understand what OP said ,,, I can move to another state after expungement and get a CCW ?
    I am not saying that. I am saying the MSP can see expungements in some way. But as far as I know only MSP can see them, and thats in violation of state law with out a court order.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Ok here is the state statue on expungement. It clearly says no one can open an expunged record with out a court order, or a few other emergency reasons.

The real question would be a foia sent to the courts, the state police etc on the process of what is done after the expungement is granted.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Ok here is the state statue on expungement. It clearly says no one can open an expunged record with out a court order, or a few other emergency reasons.

The real question would be a foia sent to the courts, the state police etc on the process of what is done after the expungement is granted.
    That's what I thought. Good question.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    How long after the 'expungement' did the offender apply/purchase a firearm? It takes quite a while, from what I understand, to remove the records from all of the various databases where it may exist, like a year or so I was told (that was for a nolle pros/stet).

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    How long after the 'expungement' did the offender apply/purchase a firearm? It takes quite a while, from what I understand, to remove the records from all of the various databases where it may exist, like a year or so I was told (that was for a nolle pros/stet).
    it was expunged in 2000, so over 20 years ago.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    How has this played out with CCW expungements?
    No clue. This is about the state police saying if they find anything dealing with an expungement for a disqualifying conviction they have to deny a 77r based on the fact they found anything its not complete expungement and there fore does not qualify under fed rules. ( the longest sentence known to man )

this is not listed in the court stuff I have just what I have been told by the lawyer and the guy.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Also at the bottom of the OP.

The bill to make expungements as if they never existed is below. Reach out to your MGA critters in support for the bill.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Minor update, just saw an update from the guy who this is going on with.

The circuit court would not grant the state a stay on being forced to approve the guys transfer. The court said they did not think the state police would win, they denied the stay on the order of the admin court granting the transfer.

I hope to get the court docs from the guy when he gets them.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    This begs the question that a friend asked me yesterday. Background- he went through the process of expungement and was able to obtain HQL and purchase a pistol within the last two years. He is now set for informal review for wear and carry via telephone. He asked me if he should mention the expungement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    This begs the question that a friend asked me yesterday. Background- he went through the process of expungement and was able to obtain HQL and purchase a pistol within the last two years. He is now set for informal review for wear and carry via telephone. He asked me if he should mention the expungement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No he should not, there is a case law and an AG opinion that you do not need to mention it. And if asked about the response should be " per state law your not allowed to discuss this with anyone".

But if they are actually having an interview something else is going on as they have not done interviews in over 6 months.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    This may or may not be related to this particular string, but if it is here's a reminder that public testimony for HB 756 is open until 3:00 PM today. This bill is supported by MSI.

HB 756: Public Safety – Handgun Permits – Expunged Conviction
    It is not, but its a good one as well. In some ways better than the other one, some ways worse.

The other one "should" remove the fed not "accepting" an expungement in maryland. But I can still still see the police refusing a permit if this one went thru due to the feds saying an expungement still means you cant have a gun. Sure it removes one road block, but leave the state police the fed law as a way around it.

King of COD

Jul 24, 2022
    Baltimore
    It is not, but its a good one as well. In some ways better than the other one, some ways worse.

The other one "should" remove the fed not "accepting" an expungement in maryland. But I can still still see the police refusing a permit if this one went thru due to the feds saying an expungement still means you cant have a gun. Sure it removes one road block, but leave the state police the fed law as a way around it.
    Hey Scotty…this the bill that pertains to the problem I’m having u think it will pass?? HB756 & HB854 is more important

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom