• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    I use one of the Cannon silica gel dehumidifiers. It requires no power, and when it gets full of water, you throw it in the oven for a couple of hours to dry it out.

No worries at all keeping the inside of the safe dry.

Attachments

• opplanet-silica-gel-dehumidifier-57-cubic-feet-9000-silica-gel-dehumidifer.jpg
      opplanet-silica-gel-dehumidifier-57-cubic-feet-9000-silica-gel-dehumidifer.jpg
      19.2 KB · Views: 96

Nate-X

Jul 20, 2010
    Hollywood, Maryland
    Put one of these in your safe. I have one and it will last about 1 month before needing to be plugged in for 12 hours.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...Rprd707832&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd707832;cat104369580

s7_227686_999_01

I bought a ton of those little plastic containers that have those little white balls in them that absorb water and have to drain or toss after a while from the Christmas tree shop. Made the mistake of spilling one in the safe last year. Tried to dry it out as best as I could ended up causing a little rust on my wasr. Finally completely dry but wondering how a closed (guessing airtight) safe would keep getting moisture in there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If it's the humidistat, try amazon. They list a lot of appliance parts, believe it or not. You'll probably need the mfr's part number; if you don't have a manual showing the part numbers, try google.

Otherwise, maybe you could switch it to "continuous" mode, and run it through one of those wall timer switches, set to switch on for several hours a day, as needed. At least that way, you won't be running up your electric bill needlessly by running it 24/7.

NakedSnowman

Jul 14, 2009
    What temperature is your basement? Most active dehumidifiers don't like temps in the 60* range or lower. Also check the filter and fins to make certain they are clean.

I have tried everything to keep moisture out of my basement. I have 2 french drains, and I graded the land around the house to move water away from the foundation. All the gutters have extensions and that water flows AWAY from the house. I purchased the largest dehumidifier Kenmore makes and Sears sells and have it set at 35% humidity. I dump that thing once a day and it is usually full. My psychrometer reads somewhere between 40-45% humidity and my basement is in the mid to upper 70's in the summer. In the winter though, ugh, we are running humidifiers!

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    sensor maybe bad.. doubt humidity will climb up or down that fast.

That's what I was thinking. I'd suggest going to Walmart or target and buy an inexpensive digital hygrometer and find out whether the machine is measuring humidity properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom